First Post - I bought a wrecked Stella 2T

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mr.FixIt

First Post - I bought a wrecked Stella 2T

Post by Mr.FixIt »

Hi everyone.

I had the opportunity to enter the scootering world with the purchase of a wrecked 2009 Stella 2T. She was cheap and beaten up, but I have tools, and a dream. I have never owned a scoot before, always motorcycles. I've done a few restorations and have some vintage bikes in the garage, so I may need help learning the technical details of the Stella.

The lower handlebar casting was broken, and a new one should arrive this weekend in the mail. :wink: I've decided to replace all the cables as well since its all presently taken apart anyway. It seems the logical thing to do since I don't want to go through removing the handlebars again later. The cowl is a little bent, but it doesn't bother me. I'll probably just hit it with some touch-up paint to avoid rust and call it good.

The Stella will be a fulfillment of a long term dream to have a proper metal frame scooter like my father did when he was in college in the 60's. I have a short commute to work on back roads, so I'm excited to get her on the road.

I'll be heading to my local Genuine dealer this weekend to pick up some more parts.
Attachments
broken casting ... new one coming
broken casting ... new one coming
IMAG0549.jpg (83.66 KiB) Viewed 1584 times
As purchased ... wrecked
As purchased ... wrecked
IMAG0534.jpg (102.16 KiB) Viewed 1584 times
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Welcome! You picked the right stella to work on as well. The 2 cycle version is pretty straightforward once you get the hang of working on it. Make sure you doublecheck all the wiring from the headset as well, insulation could easily have been cut/abraded in whatever caused that break.

What's the bike's story? How'd it end up with a broken headset?
Mr.FixIt

Post by Mr.FixIt »

The bike came from Virginia originally and ended up in the hands of a young fellow here in Pennsylvania. He rode it for a little bit and it got knocked over in the garage. That's the story I got of how the headset casting broke.

The wiring did indeed need some repair as some was cut. I'll check everything out before putting it all back together. Wiring is something I can handle with no problems.

The inside of the glovebox is pretty sad. Stuff had just been thrown in there and left to bounce around. I'm thinking of using some old inner-tube rubber and contact cement to provide a nice padded surface for my stow-ables.

The big technical investigation that I'll have next is the automatic oil mixer. The fella I got it from stopped using it and just pre-mixed. Normally I wouldn't be too worried but the previous owner told me he put an performance clutch in it. Did he also take out the gears for the AOM at the same time? I didn't think to ask at the time. (Its a project)

Factory-knows-best... so I'd like to use the AOM system. Just have to test it and see if it still works. I've got a few suggestions so far.

A) Fill the oil tank and see if the oil is being pumped into the carb... I haven't taken it apart far enough to see if that is easy to access and where.

B) Fill the oil tank and move the adjustment lever without increasing the throttle looking for more smoke than normal.

Any other ideas without pulling the motor?
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

I like option two, doing so at idle should produce a nice cloud of smoke. And if the pump isn't running, it won't be stressing the engine overmuch with whatever oil was left in the engine from the previous premixed run.
youkiddin

Post by youkiddin »

I'd add some oil to the oil tank ,disconnect the oil line from the carb, let the oil run to the end of the line and put your finger over the end of the line and reconnect to the carb. there will be a small air bubble. watch that and see if the pump pulls oil in
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

You're not too far from Carlisle Cycle and Scooter. They rebuild my Stella headset after I crashed it and bent up the handlebars. Bill knows his stuff, I'd check them out.

The wiring on the Stella can be real troublesome. just a little warning.

Enjoy!
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Mr.FixIt

Post by Mr.FixIt »

Thanks, RoaringTodd. Its been a few years since I stopped at Carlisle Cycle and Scooter and met Bill and his family. Its about an hour drive. The TMISC Meltdown Rally was this past Saturday, or I would have gone to the shop for a few parts.

Well, its all put back together. It runs and drives. Aside from the concern about the automatic oiler there are only two problems.

1) Turn signals are weak... running without a battery. (Must try with a battery to see if things improve)

2) The kill switch has a low resistance and kills the engine without even pushing it. I can rebuilt or replace this. I just left it disconnected for now.
Attachments
IMAG0572.jpg
IMAG0572.jpg (69.39 KiB) Viewed 1547 times
IMAG0577.jpg
IMAG0577.jpg (65.54 KiB) Viewed 1547 times
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)