Battery Tender Wire Routing?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Point37

Battery Tender Wire Routing?

Post by Point37 »

Looking for a slick way to route the short battery tender connector wire that bolts onto the battery so I can leave it installed on the scooter all the time and have access to plug it in without having to remove the mat and cover each time...I’m guessing the only way to do it would be through the bottom of the battery box and hang it underneath...anyone have any ideas or can point me to a thread?...thanks in advance
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Just found this thread...battery tender power socket plug...that will work perfectly

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic6601.html#77818

https://www.scooterworks.com/HSearch.as ... der+socket
Point37

Post by Point37 »

bought this one...has a 3A fuse inside the lead...my diehard charger is 2A/12V or 4A/6V so i should be fine...it should be coming in today...also have a battery tender jr that would charger slower

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E ... UTF8&psc=1
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

I would recommend using the Battery Tender Junior over the Diehard Charger. It's very easy to blow the fuse in that circuit.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
Point37

Post by Point37 »

giddyup98 wrote:I would recommend using the Battery Tender Junior over the Diehard Charger. It's very easy to blow the fuse in that circuit.
thanks...i think i probably will do just that and reserve the die hard for my lawn mower...was having a little of an issue getting it started the other day and wasn't sure if it was a battery issue or a fuel/carb issue...once i get it all charged up i'll see if i can get it started...after that i'll probably just leave it on the tender so i'm good to go when i want to ride
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

If you go with the battery tender JR, it'll have a hard wired connector option. With that, you connect the ring terminals to the battery, and run the wire through the hole in the battery box where the positive/negative wires already go. From there, you can either zip tie the hanging end to the frame rail, or you can route it up and through your front plastic cover (which you take off to access the spark plug). Take that cover off, set the wire where you want it, and then put the cover on, which will hold the wire in place.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Stanza wrote:If you go with the battery tender JR, it'll have a hard wired connector option. With that, you connect the ring terminals to the battery, and run the wire through the hole in the battery box where the positive/negative wires already go. From there, you can either zip tie the hanging end to the frame rail, or you can route it up and through your front plastic cover (which you take off to access the spark plug). Take that cover off, set the wire where you want it, and then put the cover on, which will hold the wire in place.
thanks...yea i have 2 of those connectors (1 came with each charger)...after poking around on the scooter and on here...i was going to run it through that gap in the box and zip tie it underneath somewhere like others have done but i like the idea of just being able to plug it into the 12v outlet better for easy/quick access...if i have any issues with blowing adapter fuses i'll just put an 8A fuse in it...this will be it's only use so it shouldn't be an issue
Point37

Post by Point37 »

so i haven't used my battery tender jr in a while...i seem to remember the last time i used it, it went straight to storage mode instead of charge mode on a battery i knew needed a charge...but anyway last night i figured i would give it a try and plugged it into the new 12v adapter and plugged that into the 12v socket on the scooter and left if on for a while...then i came back and it was in storage mode so i said i wonder if it worked so i plugged in the diehard charger into the adapter (didn't blow any fuses) and that went into charge mode...so i waited for a little while to see if it would go to storage mode and it stayed on charge...so i walked away and came back later and it was on storage mode so i unplugged it...this morning i tried to start the scooter and it started right up (wouldn't start over the weekend, assuming battery didn't have enough juice as i hadn't ridden it since early last month)...

i want to determine the following...

1 - if the battery tender jr is still any good
2 - if the battery is still good

any easy way to do a load test on a battery and measure the voltage with a multimeter?...probably poke around youtube, i'm sure there is something out there...to test the battery tender jr i'm just going to plug it into a partially discharged battery and measure the voltage and then remeasure when it goes into storage mode (should have done this last night)...then just for kicks i'm going to plug in my diehard charger on the same battery and measure the voltage after that goes into storage mode...i'm wondering if the battery tender jr goes into storage mode at a lower voltage than the diehard charger
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

12.6 volts at rest, and if it drops below 10 while cranking the engine, then the battery is toast. Measure it with a multi meter, have a friend try starting the bike (unless you have three arms. If that's the case, change your user name to Zaphod)
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Stanza wrote:12.6 volts at rest, and if it drops below 10 while cranking the engine, then the battery is toast. Measure it with a multi meter, have a friend try starting the bike (unless you have three arms. If that's the case, change your user name to Zaphod)
thanks...i'll have to check it out this coming weekend...i also found a youtube video how to fix a battery tender jr by replacing the capacitor...$0.25 part vs $25 new tender