Buddy Higher Top Speed After Zippy Tires Replacemnt

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mattsyd

Buddy Higher Top Speed After Zippy Tires Replacemnt

Post by mattsyd »

I just put on my Zippy 1 tires (front & rear) on my Buddy 125 (which had stock tires on it). I’m very happy them! Great traction in the dry, and I look forward to testing them out in the wet as soon as it rains.

On to the problem:

I stayed with stock size (3.5x10) after much deliberation, so the the tires should be almost identical in size to the originals. What’s interesting is that my speedometer is showing that my top speed has increased by about 5 mph (that’s an estimate after one quick ride), and just from riding experience it seems to me that the speedometer is reading more optimistic (by 3-5mph) than it was before the tire change.

There are a few things that could be going on: (1) the tires could be a slightly different size causing a change in speedometer reading, but I think this is very unlikely; (2) The bike feels more stable now than it did with the original tires at high speeds. So maybe the original tires weren’t balanced good, and now the bike does actually have a slightly higher top speed and I just think I’m going slower at certain speedometer mph because I’m not used to such a smooth ride; (3) I messed up speedometer thingy (can’t think of the name of it right now) when I put back on the front wheel.

Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone!
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Stiffer compound, with the tire riding more on the centerline vs squishing the rubber down for a wider contact patch.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

It's possible that it's a bit of both because rolling resistance is a small part of what limits top speed. Far more likely is that a size differential is causing your speedo to read a bit more optimistically. Still, if the ride feels more stable, that is a big bonus, so win-win IMHO.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Tire pressure can make that much difference.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

New tires are like a new paint job...they both make a scooter faster!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
mattsyd

Post by mattsyd »

BuddyRaton wrote:New tires are like a new paint job...they both make a scooter faster!
Well, my scooters red, so it’s already as fast as paint can make it 😜
mattsyd

Post by mattsyd »

GregsBuddy wrote:Tire pressure can make that much difference.
Yeah… I thought about that, but I was pretty good about being sure my tires or at the right pressure.
mattsyd

Post by mattsyd »

jrsjr wrote:It's possible that it's a bit of both because rolling resistance is a small part of what limits top speed. Far more likely is that a size differential is causing your speedo to read a bit more optimistically. Still, if the ride feels more stable, that is a big bonus, so win-win IMHO.
Yeah, it could be both. And I’m very, very happy with the great traction, and overall better ride quality.
mattsyd

Post by mattsyd »

Stanza wrote:Stiffer compound, with the tire riding more on the centerline vs squishing the rubber down for a wider contact patch.
Interesting point! I never even thought about that.
mattsyd

Post by mattsyd »

Stanza wrote:Stiffer compound, with the tire riding more on the centerline vs squishing the rubber down for a wider contact patch.
Interesting point! I never even thought about that.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

And less contact patch on a new tire than old so less rolling resistance. I think it's a case of taking care of your ride and it taking care of you!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

+1
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
mattsyd

Post by mattsyd »

BuddyRaton wrote:And less contact patch on a new tire than old so less rolling resistance. I think it's a case of taking care of your ride and it taking care of you!

Yeah...contact patch is another thing I didn’t think about. Good point.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

i agree with these guys...you're going from an old set of tires that have been worn down (mostly in the middle typically) to a new set which aren't worn so the actual profile of the tire is different...the profiles of all tires can also be designed differently as well for different purposes/reasons...the steeper the profile the quicker the turn in...the flatter the profile the more stable and the bike will want to go straight

a speedo is calibrated by the factory based on new oem tires with oem pressures...so in theory as your tires wear (smaller circumference) your speedo will gradually read faster due to the smaller tire circumference and it will spin more times (or lower pressure creating a smaller circumference)...

in your case if your speeds are faster with new tires that would mean that your circumference is smaller than your old tires so either the pressures are lower or the tire profile is flatter...the only way you can tell is to measure it out on the ground with the old tires at pressure vs the new tires at pressure...align the valve stem at the bottom of the tire make a mark on the ground roll out one full rotation and mark the end on the ground and measure it with a tape measure...and then compare the measurements