Genuine Buddy 170i Running Lights Help

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Simo4181

Genuine Buddy 170i Running Lights Help

Post by Simo4181 »

New owner here. I have seen a few people with write ups on the Buddy 50 but nothing for the 170i or at least that I could find. Any help would be appreciated here.

Thanks, Chris
iwannascoot

Post by iwannascoot »

The 170i is the same body as the 50cc. The wiring for the lights are the same.

Billy
Simo4181

Post by Simo4181 »

Will I need to change the front lights to LED? What bulbs do you suggest? I'm VERY new to this.

Thanks, Chris
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

If you're just planning to rig them up as running lights, any will do. The bike's electrics won't care if they're LED or incandescent. If you're planning on running them as turn signals, you'll need to make sure they're the same type of bulb as the handlebar mounted signals. Typically, they already match.
orcldba8

170i lights

Post by orcldba8 »

Chris,

Any update on your light modifications? Just bought a 2012 170i and am looking to "increase my visibility" when on the road at night.

Thanks
Pat
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Stanza wrote:If you're just planning to rig them up as running lights, any will do. The bike's electrics won't care if they're LED or incandescent. If you're planning on running them as turn signals, you'll need to make sure they're the same type of bulb as the handlebar mounted signals. Typically, they already match.
I thought if you run the deadlights as running lights the recommendation was to use LED bulbs since they will be easier on the charging system/battery. I know this was recommended for people who do a lot of short trips.

In my testing if you run double front turn signals you can run LEDs in the deadlights as long as you leave the incandescent bulbs in the handlebar turn signals. There will be enough load on the turn signal relay that it doesn't hyperflash.
VSP

Post by VSP »

If you run any lights, no matter the location, as full time running lights, you'll want to switch them to LED's. Incandescents draw to much power and will drain your battery.

If you swap any blinkers to LED's, you'll need to swap your stock flasher relay with an electronic universal flasher relay.

Below is the relay I recommend. It's a direct plug-n-play replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/Technologies-Typ ... B0013LDMLO
Voodoo [voo-doo] -adjective. Claimed or reputed to provide an ingenious or seemingly magical solution to a problem. <A HREF="http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic29569.html">Get your VOODOO here</A>