Spark plug question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JJScoot

Spark plug question

Post by JJScoot »

2016 buddy 50.

It was starting ok before I went away for a few days. When I came back it didn’t want to. Even when kicking it. It ran for a few seconds then cut out when I gave it gas. Anyway, in working on it, I’ve found that when I have the plug out, I can’t see it spark unless I put it against something metal. Any ideas why I can’t see a spark? The battery is fully charged now and I can’t see one when I kick it either. If I do, it is very faint unless it is up against metal. Thanks.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

That's normal. The spark has to travel between the center and outer electrodes on the plug, and won't go anywhere unless the outer one is electrically grounded. As the outer electrode is a part of the plug's metal body (i.e., the threads that screw into the head), touching it or the threads to the engine provides the path to ground that would normally be present when the plug is screwed into the head.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

How many months is a "few days"?

:wink:
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

dasscooter wrote:How many months is a "few days"?

:wink:

just a week. it charged right back up. This is my project bike so it doesnt get ridden yet.

another question-- when I have the plug out and crank it, should i be seeing/smelling a lot of gas? Since my spark seems ok, maybe I am not getting enough gas.

I will add that i was able to get it started once,but it revved really high and when I hit the accelerator to see if the choke was stuck, it died.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

With the plug removed you should be smelling fuel that's being expelled through the spark plug hole on every compression stroke. The fact that it started and revved high, then died when you opened up the throttle, looks to be a lean condition, probably caused by a clogged jet in the carb or a faulty bystarter.

If you want to double-check the fuel situation, clean the spark plug well, reinstall it, and then crank the engine a few times with the spark plug cable disconnected. Then remove the plug and see if it's wet. If not, then you're not getting fuel and the most likely culprit is the carb/bystarter.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Thanks for the help so far. Ok I cleaned the carb. Got it started. Only thing is I have to have it full throtttle to start and have to continuously give it gas. Or it dies. Note: when I cover the vacuum hose it runs better.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Another thing- while I am sitting here messing around with it, it is dripping gas out of the air intake. Indicative of a specific issue?
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Ok. Update: I learned as a kid that if I took something apart and put it back together and it didn’t work, to take it apart again and give it another try. So after taking the carb apart 2 more times and putting it back in, she purrs now. Maybe I just didn’t have everything jam up jelly right before. Anyway- next step: plastics and new tires, register it and then it is ready to go.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

JJScoot wrote:So after taking the carb apart 2 more times and putting it back in, she purrs now. Maybe I just didn’t have everything jam up jelly right before.
Good news. And your latest post saves me telling you it still sounds like a carb problem :wink:. Ride safe, have fun.