First post - noob w "veteran" Stella

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

cityjake

First post - noob w "veteran" Stella

Post by cityjake »

Thirty years in the making...

Picked up a 2003 Stella 2T yesterday for well under a grand$. It grew up in da city and has the cowls/fender/seat to prove it. Starts, runs, stops. Pics as soon as I can figure out how to make them small enough to post.

Leaking 2T oil, but I've already gotten good ideas from forum and that'll be my first task (and I'll change the sight glass, lines, etc. as recommended, too).

May not be a daily driver (17 mile commute in Chicago area traffic), but I don't intend to baby it. Very interested in the 177 Pinasco kit (w requisite pipe, jetting, crank, etc. mods, too), but I'll ride it stock for a bit before that.

Already registered for MSF rider course (I may or may not have ridden it around the cul de sac....)-- it's been yeeeeeears since I was on a bike.

Planning to do a tune up myself -- change oil(s) and plug. I think the rubber is original so may get new tires (conti zippys?) and the scooterworks basic rubber replacement kit. Even though it stops well I was thinking of looking at brakes pads/shoes, etc.

Is it worth changing out all the cables, etc., or just get replacements and keep them in the repair kit for when they fail? Again, total noob (art school undergrad & law school -- handy, but my brother is the gear head/physics major and, unfortunately, not local).

Thanks again for the forum -- yeoman's work, all!

Open to suggestions, criticisms, and pontification. The post was too long, wasn't it?
Mr.FixIt

Post by Mr.FixIt »

Hi cityjake,

My situation is similar to yours. My first 2-smoke.

I don't know what the state requirements are in Illinois, but in Pennsylvania there is state safety inspection that governs when consumable parts need to be replaced. I couldn't find a spec on brake linings (there must be some.)

I would pop the headset top off and inspect the ends of the cables. If everything is working with no frayed cables and no damage to the sheaths as they pass through the narrow passage into the body, don't mess with them. If you have any doubt replace any that look suspect. Keep some spares handy, being stranded stinks.

The leaking oil around the sight glass is messy and should be dealt with. The design of the gasket and the way the airbox is clamped to the engine case is inherently insufficient and weeps oil, making a mess.

Having an imperfect ride is ideal for both learning to wrench on the beastie, and also doesn't make you feel bad about experimenting with upgrades.

Let's see some pix!
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)
cityjake

Post by cityjake »

Thanks, Fix It. I'll pull the headset and check the cables. Brakes seem fine (especially the back -- THAT works!).

I pulled the gas tank tonight enough to get to the oil tank. It wasn't exactly a date, but I was able to feel around enough that I don't think it's the tank itself. The sight glass is covered w oil, though, so I'm just going to replace that whole thing -- sight glass, gasket, grommet, oil line, etc. Probably the gasket under the gas tank, too. SO much rubber to replace on a 15 year old scooter.

The condition is almost ideal -- not trashed enough to be intimidating but banged up enough that anything I do will be an improvement. Or at least I can't make it worse. I can't get over how well everything fits together -- what a great design!

This is going to be fun!
Jake
cityjake

Post by cityjake »

Thanks, Fix It. I'll pull the headset and check the cables. Brakes seem fine (especially the back -- THAT works!).

I pulled the gas tank tonight enough to get to the oil tank. It wasn't exactly a date, but I was able to feel around enough that I don't think it's the tank itself. The sight glass is covered w oil, though, so I'm just going to replace that whole thing -- sight glass, gasket, grommet, oil line, etc. Probably the gasket under the gas tank, too. SO much rubber to replace on a 15 year old scooter.

The condition is almost ideal -- not trashed enough to be intimidating but banged up enough that anything I do will be an improvement. Or at least I can't make it worse. I can't get over how well everything fits together -- what a great design!

This is going to be fun!
Jake
Mr.FixIt

Post by Mr.FixIt »

The quality of the rubber these days is quite lacking. I had bikes from the 70's that didn't have the rubber problems of those made today. Some of the rubber parts on my 1948 motorcycle are in better shape than the rubber parts on my Stella. I've seen entire rubber replacement kits out there. I haven't ordered it yet, since I created some makeshift rubber caps from material I had laying around for those that have completely failed, believing that the replacement rubber kit will just deteriorate the same way as the originals.

Have you gone around the cul-de-sac a few more times to make sure things are working? Hopefully you can get into the cycle safety course soon.
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)
cityjake

Post by cityjake »

Status so far:

Ordered sight glass, etc. Plan to change oil(s) and gas when I pull the tank to change sight glass. (what do people do w old gas and old oil? total noob). Starting it and running it every day or so. Starts first or second kick (which I think is a good sign).

MSF class end of the month (20 hours over 3 days). Still need helmet and other gear so haven't really ridden it. (1st and 2nd gear work!). Anyone have experience getting a helmet online? Seems weird, but that's probably just my age.

Rubber replacement kit out of stock at my local shop, so just changing out as I go (frame/tank gasket and air bellow first). Should probably get new tires soon, too.

Any reco for spark plug, oil(s), tires (if not Conti Zippy)?

What works to clean up the scooter? (realized that a car wash wouldn't work well in this instance...)
Mr.FixIt

Post by Mr.FixIt »

I don't want to publish what I do with the old gas. (If you are careful it makes a nice de-greaser.)

Some shops will advertise that they take used oil. Many heat with it in the winter. My local shop is happy to take the used oil to burn. Some Advance Auto stores take it to recycle, but they don't advertise that... you need to ask.

I would go to a local shop and try on helmets. Get to know what you like the feel of. Shopping online is fine, but you have to have a pretty good idea of what you are looking for.

You also need to have some idea of how expensive your head is. If you feel you are pretty, buy an expensive highly rated helmet. If like me, you are an ugly sod, just buy what fits, has the features and colors you like, and is cheap. :lol:
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)
Wild_Goosechase

Post by Wild_Goosechase »

I bet the issue with rubber has more to do with the alcohol in fuel these days
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Mr.FixIt wrote:I don't want to publish what I do with the old gas. (If you are careful it makes a nice de-greaser.)

Some shops will advertise that they take used oil. Many heat with it in the winter. My local shop is happy to take the used oil to burn. Some Advance Auto stores take it to recycle, but they don't advertise that... you need to ask.

I would go to a local shop and try on helmets. Get to know what you like the feel of. Shopping online is fine, but you have to have a pretty good idea of what you are looking for.

You also need to have some idea of how expensive your head is. If you feel you are pretty, buy an expensive highly rated helmet. If like me, you are an ugly sod, just buy what fits, has the features and colors you like, and is cheap. :lol:
^^^what he said...

i just dump old gas into my car if the volume is small...it dilutes so no worries...or i'll save it in a water bottle next to my fire pit for a fire starter

around here if you sell oil you have to be able to take the used oil and dispose of it...walmart used to take it no questions asked...now they make you provide a receipt to prove that you bought it there so i have to save my receipts

def try on helmets...do not buy online unless you try on that exact helmet and size first...they typically all have the same safety testing certifications...they are all made for different shaped heads as well...so the more expensive one you buy the better features, more comfortable, etc...also the more expensive helmet companies typically have multiple shell sizes while the cheaper companies have less shell sizes and they adjust the size with the interior padding...i have a size large arai helmet that i love and my wife has a hjc size medium...if you look at both helmets side by side her helmet is larger than mine...thing looks like a salad bowl...the larger the helmet the more wind it's going to catch and the more it's going to toss your head around at higher speeds which isn't a huge concern on a scooter, more so on a motorcycle

i have washed my scooter like a car with a hose and sponge...if you want a shine on the panels try the honda polish in an aerosol can

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-08732-SCP0 ... B004FSEJZA

spark plug use whatever autozone can match to your existing one

oil...happy reading
https://www.google.com/search?ei=ChKRW- ... 7mB3QfcDvE

tires...happy reading
https://www.google.com/search?ei=QhKRW_ ... ih0NqpP0PA