Old Car Horn on Buddy 125 Ahhoooga!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Point37

Old Car Horn on Buddy 125 Ahhoooga!

Post by Point37 »

Anyone ever done it?...I have an old horn that sounds like the one in the YouTube clip below laying around somewhere that I’ve been meaning to dig out...not sure if it will fit as I can’t remember how big it was and if I could mount it yet but I already cut the cone off cause I previously had it mounted in a car I used to have...will the electrical system support it?...is there any testing I should do with a multimeter beforehand?...will I need a relay?

https://youtu.be/Dqc6yRIHiW0
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I have heard the ahoooga horns called Hooters on old motorcycles.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Those horns are pretty big so you'll have to get creative to find a place to mount it. The Buddy electrical system doesn't have a whole lot of amps to spare so you'll have to just hook it up and see if it works.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Mr.FixIt

Post by Mr.FixIt »

There was a popular brand of horn called "clear hooters" on some British cars.

Anyway. I wouldn't try to run it directly off the horn button. Install a relay and run wires from the battery with a fuse. 14AWG should probably do it. The inductive load will be high on a horn like this, the actual current draw could be high. Experiment before committing to installation.
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)
Point37

Post by Point37 »

wheelbender6 wrote:I have heard the ahoooga horns called Hooters on old motorcycles.
i looked for a cheap smaller version with the same sound but it doesn't seem to exist
babblefish wrote:Those horns are pretty big so you'll have to get creative to find a place to mount it. The Buddy electrical system doesn't have a whole lot of amps to spare so you'll have to just hook it up and see if it works.
thanks...yea that's what i'm thinking, space is going to be an issue in the front comparment...if i don't have the space i probably won't go any further...if i do have the space then i have to make sure it will work
Mr.FixIt wrote:There was a popular brand of horn called "clear hooters" on some British cars.

Anyway. I wouldn't try to run it directly off the horn button. Install a relay and run wires from the battery with a fuse. 14AWG should probably do it. The inductive load will be high on a horn like this, the actual current draw could be high. Experiment before committing to installation.
thanks...i def plan to experiment first...i believe the horn i have installed now is aftermarket based on the mounting location...i also believe when i checked the battery compartment that there was an extra wire on each battery terminal so i have to investigate further to see if those are a relay for the current horn...but i didn't really get into the electrical system when i bought it cause everything worked fine...see photos in link below

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewto ... =50#368162

this is just something i was going to do to be funny if i could without hacking up the electrical system