Disc, grip, or other lock for 2014 Stella

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

outtaMyBlood

Disc, grip, or other lock for 2014 Stella

Post by outtaMyBlood »

Hello All,
I just bought a 2014 Stella Auto a couple weeks back and I'm loving it. I ordered the Xena X1 disc lock because it says on Xena's site that it fits the Stella... but now that I got it, it actually doesn't fit. Maybe the disc lock would fit around the disc itself, but the rim doesn't provide enough space to slip it around the disc. Maybe the lock fit a previous year model... has anyone used this lock on a Stella before? If so, what year was your Stella?

Now I'm looking for a different disc lock that will work with the Stella (specifically the 2014) but I can't seem to find any discussion on the web of anyone using a disc lock with their Stella. Anyone know of any that fit the Stella?

Alternatively, I'm considering a grip lock, but I haven't been able to find anything on the web about anyone using one on a Stella. Anyone have any recommendations on a grip lock that they use on their Stella?

I'm also using a heavy duty chain lock (Prima's version of the NY noose) at home and on the go when possible, but I'm currently left only with the steering column lock when its parked on campus all day, so I'm looking for a simple deterrent like a disc or grip lock if anyone has any recommendations.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

My best suggestion is go to your local largest motorcycle shop and ask if they will let you try various locks on your bike.

It's hard to put a disc lock on the Stella with the wheel design they have.

I've heard of but never seen a Grip Lock in the wild.

You could always just use a big chain and lock. When I go to rallies my friends and I normally lock our bikes to each other through the underside of the foot brake and then around a nearby pole.
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

I use a Kryptonite bike lock through the front wheel.
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddyOTR/">
Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog</a>
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddy.snakeoiler">
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
Johnny O

Post by Johnny O »

BigDaddy SnakeOiler wrote:I use a Kryptonite bike lock through the front wheel.
Similarly, I use a 10' lg coated cable I found at Lowes. It has a big loop on both ends and I bought a masterlock to lockup. Weave it in-between critical parts and good to go. Since I garage my scoot I typically don't use this. However, I have carried it with me in the glovebox on vacation. A bit cumbersome, but walking back to a rental out of town w/o my ride would be way worse. Typically use it for my ATV too.
johnk

Post by johnk »

I've tried both the Kryptonite Disc Lock and the Prima Disc Lock on my 2012 Stella 4T. Neither one fits, despite the fact that ScooterWorks says the Prima's fit is "universal." The space between the disc and the rim is too narrow to allow this shape of lock.

It would be nice to be able to use a disc lock because some of them come with alarms, but I don't think it will happen on the Stella rims.

Since disc locks and grip locks are both intended to prevent rolling/riding away, I decided to get a BigPantha Grip Lock. I can't speak to its actual theft prevention, but it's affordable, straightforward, and easy to use. Used in conjunction with a Kryptonite New York Noose, I don't lose sleep worrying about theft.

Another alarm option is the Oxford Boss U-Lock, which can be used with a chain lock like the New York Noose.
johnk

Post by johnk »

I just discovered that Oxford makes shorter disc locks that may fit Stella rims (the Amazon description says it fits the Vespa PX). The regular model is $27 and the alarmed model is $50.
johnk

Post by johnk »

I decided to buy the Oxford Scoot XA5 Disc Lock, and I am very happy with it.

Here is a video review/demonstration (not mine). The video points out that you can put the lock between the fork and the shock, making it more difficult to attack.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

i have these plus the thickest cable i could get through the front wheel...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030 ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W ... UTF8&psc=1