Help Buying Used

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Dage'sVew

Help Buying Used

Post by Dage'sVew »

The DH is ready to go shopping for a scooter to replace the totaled Granvista (see: "who's crashed"), with the insurance replacement check in his hot little hand. I looked in MB Faqs & Guides for tips on what to look for when buying used but apparently that help never made it past the "coming soon" phase. Anybody have a check list they can post or even just some thoughts on items that might be initially overlooked? We'd appreciate the help!
Point37

Post by Point37 »

This is what i typically do...i'm sure i'm missing some things but this is what i can think of off the top of my head...

-ask if they have a clear title in hand (no title then i don't bother even viewing)
-ask for additional photos and photos of any blemishes (i see some CL ads where they only have 1 photo which seems like a scam ad)
-get their phone number and talk to them on the phone vs email/text
-check tires for wear
-check all lights and horn
-check VIN against title
-feel engine before starting to be sure you are seeing a cold start or tell owner that you want to see a cold start
-check fenders, grip ends, mirrors and anything else that sticks out for signs of being dropped/crashed
-ride it to be sure everything works properly (brakes)
-inspect underneath for signs of leaks
-ask why they are selling
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Point37 wrote:This is what i typically do...i'm sure i'm missing some things but this is what i can think of off the top of my head...

-ask if they have a clear title in hand (no title then i don't bother even viewing)
-ask for additional photos and photos of any blemishes (i see some CL ads where they only have 1 photo which seems like a scam ad)
-get their phone number and talk to them on the phone vs email/text
-check tires for wear
-check all lights and horn
-check VIN against title
-feel engine before starting to be sure you are seeing a cold start or tell owner that you want to see a cold start
-check fenders, grip ends, mirrors and anything else that sticks out for signs of being dropped/crashed
-ride it to be sure everything works properly (brakes)
-inspect underneath for signs of leaks
-ask why they are selling
There's only 2 things I could add to the above:

1. Even though the seller may say they have clear title, make sure it's in their name. I've had 2 instances where the seller had the original title but they had never bothered to get it properly transferred to their name. If the scoot doesn't have a current year license tab, that's a clue that the title may not have been transferred. If they don't have the original bill of sale this can be a real hassle when you go to your DOL to make the transfer. Depending on the state you live in, even with an original bill if sale, it can be a hassle.

2. Ask to see service records as proof of regular maintenance.

Bill in Seattle
Member Emeritus
Point37

Post by Point37 »

^^^good points...i always want to have the title, previous registration and a bill of sale...i have my own bill of sale typed out with everything that the RMV wants to see...i'd rather have more info than less when i go to the RMV
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I would check the oil dipstick, for color, but also smell. When I bought my used scooter, the oil smelled like gasoline and indeed there were some carb. problems.
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

Very helpful guys, thanks! Wouldn't of thought of matching VIN to the title! I was a complete newby when I bought my 2 y.o. Buddy and only asked to see it ridden up the street and back. I didn't have my permit yet and hubs wasn't even considering scooting at the time. But, it had less then 150 miles on it so I figured there couldn't be much wrong. And there wasn't!! Same with the Grand Vista. The owner laying it down on gravel and scaring himself got my hubs a low mileage, road rashed, bargain priced scoot that never once let him down. Now though I understand how lucky we were. Don't want to chance fate a third time so we plan on being a more informed buyer this time.