What to Expect When Selling My Kick

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dckick

What to Expect When Selling My Kick

Post by dckick »

I posted this in the wrong forum yesterday - reposting here.

Hey All,

I'm seriously considering selling my Kick. This DC rain is making it impossible for me to ride.

What steps should I take in preparation? Should I take it the dealer to have a final checkup prior to posting it? How do I handle test rides? For example, is asking for a cashier's check prior to a test ride common? Additionally, are there any common websites where I should post the sale (other than craigslist and maybe cycle trader)? Any guidance would be helpful.
Syd

Post by Syd »

It's harder to sell a scoot without a ride, but not impossible. Not sure about getting payment beforehand though.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What to Expect When Selling My Kick

Post by jrsjr »

dckick wrote:I'm seriously considering selling my Kick. This DC rain is making it impossible for me to ride.

What steps should I take in preparation? Should I take it the dealer to have a final checkup prior to posting it? How do I handle test rides? For example, is asking for a cashier's check prior to a test ride common? Additionally, are there any common websites where I should post the sale (other than craigslist and maybe cycle trader)? Any guidance would be helpful.
Cash only for test rides! They can hand you a bogus cashier's check and steal your Kick in a heartbeat. It happens all the time. Be careful if you post on craigslist. Always try to meet in a public place for your safety and theirs. Don't bother spending money unless it's on something cheap that is an obvious impediment to selling, like a broken mirror or a busted headset ring, i.e. cheap cosmetic stuff.

Be prepared for folks to drive a hard bargain. Selling a motorbike these days can be an adventure.

Good Luck!!! Sorry to see you leaving the scooter world, but I understand completely. I'm in Richmond and we've had some weather here this year! :roll:
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I'll tell you what I expect, and accordingly what I do when pursuing a sale. In order to allow a test ride - I expect proof of a motorcycle endorsement, proof of insurance, and proof of ability to pay. I don't expect someone to pay me in advance, and I am not willing to pay someone else in advance. That approach has worked successfully for me in a number of sales, and a number of purchases. Of course, you also apply best judgement. When someone strikes you as a flake, they probably are. Don't do business with flakes. :wink:
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

After dealing with flakers, low-ballers, weirdo's, etc. I started donating my scooters to a charity and taking the tax break. Not saying that C-List or Offer does not work, but I just dont care to deal with the people. But those options are still valid. What about a consignment with a local shop? But anyways:
Meet in a public place.
They need a M-class and proof of insurance.
Cash sale preferred-its not a $15,000 sports bike.
If something seems weird, just leave.
Have them sign a sales wavier, stating that the scooter is sold "as-is".

When my wife bought her Silver Wing, we met at the sellers house, he let me take it out for a test ride (did check for a M-class and proof of insurance) and we paid cash. I signed a "as-is" bill of sale waiving him from future/unseen failure. Been a GREAT scooter for a fair price. Both parties were happy.
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

jrsjr wrote:
Cash only for test rides! They can hand you a bogus cashier's check and steal your Kick in a heartbeat. It happens all the time.
I work in banking, and can confirm this. I wish I could say I'd never seen it, but I have.

How many miles, what condition, etc. on your kick? I'm thinking of selling mine or trading it in for a "real" motorcycle, but have no idea what the price range on these things will be,since there are so few.
Always ready to ride in the Philly area, hit me up.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

dckick wrote:I posted this in the wrong forum yesterday - reposting here.

Hey All,

I'm seriously considering selling my Kick. This DC rain is making it impossible for me to ride.

It rains here in Seattle too but that doesn't seem to keep people off their 2 wheelers. Make things less complicated for your self, keep your Kick because the sun will come out. It always does.

Bill in Seattle
Member Emeritus
dckick

Post by dckick »

Thanks for the great tips everyone! I planned on selling after graduation in May but it may just be better to cut my losses now. We've already hit our yearly rainfall totals and have had twice as much rain as Seattle and it's only September!

1. I wouldn't get a tax write off, but charity would have been a great option.
2. It has about 1200 miles - I only ride max 4 days a week (less in the winter). It's in ok condition (scratches from being pushed over) I plan on being candid about this. I've kept up with all maintenance. It rides ok (but I don't have anything to compare to)
3. This is all great information. I'll post later tonight if anyone is interested in a Kick and close to the DC area.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

dckick wrote:Thanks for the great tips everyone! I planned on selling after graduation in May but it may just be better to cut my losses now. We've already hit our yearly rainfall totals and have had twice as much rain as Seattle and it's only September!

2. It has about 1200 miles - I only ride max 4 days a week (less in the winter). It's in ok condition (scratches from being pushed over) I plan on being candid about this. I've kept up with all maintenance. It rides ok (but I don't have anything to compare to)
3. This is all great information. I'll post later tonight if anyone is interested in a Kick and close to the DC area.
Why wouldn't you get a tax write-off? All the ads I've seen from agencies that take vehicles as donations claim the donations are tax deductible.

Bill in Seattle
Member Emeritus
dckick

Post by dckick »

Im a student so it doesn't make sense to itemize my deductions since they would be under $12,000 or $6000.
skipper20 wrote:
dckick wrote:Thanks for the great tips everyone! I planned on selling after graduation in May but it may just be better to cut my losses now. We've already hit our yearly rainfall totals and have had twice as much rain as Seattle and it's only September!

Why wouldn't you get a tax write-off? All the ads I've seen from agencies that take vehicles as donations claim the donations are tax deductible.

Bill in Seattle
Member Emeritus
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

skipper20 wrote:Why wouldn't you get a tax write-off? All the ads I've seen from agencies that take vehicles as donations claim the donations are tax deductible.

Bill in Seattle
Member Emeritus
Perhaps the OP's income level provides no real benefit. Young people typically fall in that category.

Edit: Oops. I see the OP already responded with the reason. I should've read one post further before replying.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

sc00ter wrote:After dealing with flakers, low-ballers, weirdo's, etc. I started donating my scooters to a charity and taking the tax break.
I was not getting bites on my BMW so, I decided to raffle it off. I donated it to a local motorcycle awareness group and we sold 100 tickets for $50 each. They got the first thousand and I got everything after that. It was a win-win.

You could do the same thing on a smaller scale.

http://looktwiceraffle.com/