New Member Scooter Shopping

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Point37

Post by Point37 »

BuddyRaton wrote:Some Buddys (I think the BJ and some others) came with an upgraded horn. I upgraded my Buddy 161 with a stebel. Someone enjoyed that scoot!

It looks pretty good in there. If everything is good I would just clean out the acorns, lube the cables and ride!
got some vsp blinker adapter wires coming plus i want to peel the flower decals put on new grips and some new mirrors (after inspection)...i'm itching to ride it but i have to get it insured then get to the rmv to get plated/registered which is only open during the work week 9-5 and then get inspected within 7 days...also still a ton of sand and salt on the roads here plus still pretty cold so waiting is probably better...give me some time to get cleaned up and dialed in
Point37

Post by Point37 »

pulled the front cover off and brought it inside my house to warm up and then began peeling flower stickers...high quality multi-part vinyl stickers with intricate cuts made it take quite a while...very tedious...then i applied some goo gone and let it sit and wipe it down with a paper towel...i had to repeat this multiple times cause the goo would not come off easily so a lot of elbow grease was required

i have to do the front colored wheel fender, the rear trunk as well as the lower panel under the floorboard from the kickstand to the tail section (only 1 side has stickers) and the front side panel with the dead lights (only 1 side has stickers)...i have to look up how hard it is to remove those body panels...the rear side panel doesn't look bad...the front panel that houses the dead lights looks like a pain (may have to do that on a warm day outside)...the colored part of the front wheel fender may not be bad...if any of them is a pain to remove i will do them on a warm day...i just figure it would be easier to do in my house where i have good light and it's warmer at the moment

anyone know where i can find a complete list of parts blowup diagrams?

found it...
http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic17349.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rXD3UFy6mU
Point37

Post by Point37 »

before
Attachments
IMG_0068.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG (121.07 KiB) Viewed 2623 times
Point37

Post by Point37 »

after some tedious peeling, goo gone and elbow grease
Attachments
IMG_0139.JPG
IMG_0139.JPG (167.86 KiB) Viewed 2622 times
IMG_0138.JPG
IMG_0138.JPG (166.26 KiB) Viewed 2622 times
IMG_0136.JPG
IMG_0136.JPG (156.48 KiB) Viewed 2622 times
IMG_0137.JPG
IMG_0137.JPG (145.96 KiB) Viewed 2622 times
Last edited by Point37 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

what oil is this bolt holding in?...motor or gear oil?...it's leaking so i will have to pull it and see if i can find a crush washer replacement or put some teflon on the bolt threads...so i'll be replacing that oil at the same time
Attachments
IMG_0131.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG (136.72 KiB) Viewed 2621 times
Last edited by Point37 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

should there be anything mounted here?
Attachments
IMG_0132.JPG
IMG_0132.JPG (150.27 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
Point37

Post by Point37 »

on the airbox hose the second bung from the carburetor on the side with 2 bungs (the 1 without the wire)...it doesn't attach to anything correct?...i pulled it off and there didn't seem to be a hole into the hose so i'm not sure what it's for

http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/buddy125aircleaner
Attachments
IMG_0149.JPG
IMG_0149.JPG (198.52 KiB) Viewed 2619 times
Point37

Post by Point37 »

anyone know where i can get genuine buddy trunk parts?...just want to replace the red plastic if possible...there are screws inside the trunk so i assume it's removable...will use clear red tape if need be
Attachments
IMG_0133.JPG
IMG_0133.JPG (133.84 KiB) Viewed 2617 times
Point37

Post by Point37 »

going to see if i can find another rubber washer to replace this one on the rear where the rack attaches
Attachments
IMG_0135.JPG
IMG_0135.JPG (152.95 KiB) Viewed 2615 times
Syd

Post by Syd »

Looking good, well done.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Looks really good!
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

thanks fellas...i aired up the tires to 30psi...i began to do a valve check and then once i got the cover off i realized all my feeler gauges are in inches...i used 0.076mm (0.003in) instead of 0.08mm...i ordered some metric feeler gauges so i will readjust when i get them...basically just did a test run
Point37 wrote:what oil is this bolt holding in?...motor or gear oil?...it's leaking so i will have to pull it and see if i can find a crush washer replacement or put some teflon on the bolt threads...so i'll be replacing that oil at the same time
found it after some searching...it's a motor oil plug...does anyone know the specs on the crush washer...i'm assuming an oem washer will cost more than one at an auto parts store

edit: i wiped the bolt head dry and tightened it a little to see if it will leak anymore...once i redo the valves i will run it a bit and let the oil warm up and then let it sit to see if it leaks from that nut before i do the oil change

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewto ... 08&start=0
Last edited by Point37 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Point37 wrote:anyone know where i can get genuine buddy trunk parts?...just want to replace the red plastic if possible...there are screws inside the trunk so i assume it's removable...will use clear red tape if need be
found out that i have a tc5 topcase...the reflector is available but it looks like if i swap out the cracked one i will lose the emblem sticker that's currently on it...i wonder if i can heat it up and peel it off and reapply it with some glue

http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/product/TC5-REFL
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Point37 wrote:should there be anything mounted here?
also found this thread that explains that the open connection that i saw near the oil filter is for carb compliance equipment...using the site specific search on google helps a lot...i'm guessing that the 3rd connection on the air box hose is for carb compliance equipment as well?

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic25485.html
Point37

Post by Point37 »

not sure if i want to run the trunk or not just yet...i may just take the mounting hardware from the trunk and mount a milk crate to the rear

may even look for a decent set of saddlebags for heavier loads since the rear rack weight capacity is only what 11lbs?...it doesn't look like a very good design and the chrome one i have is starting to rust a bit...having the weight cantilevered off the back by 3 bolts mounted to the front isn't very smart...i'm surprised they don't make one that clamps onto the crash bars...not sure which set would work well with the crash bars but not spending the money for the prima bags...while i'm trying to sell my sw-motech blaze motorcycle bags maybe i'll see if i can run those...they are pretty adjustable with a velcro strap that would typically go over the seat but i'm not sure if i will be able to shut them under the seat and have it latch...but i can remove the plastic attaching clips from the mounting harware and figure out a way to mount them as well as a way to make sure they don't slide forward since the support arms wouldn't be present

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/bags-con ... xton-04-13

http://files.twistedthrottle.com.s3.ama ... 0500_b.pdf
Point37

Post by Point37 »

over the weekend...rechecked/adjusted valves with the 0.08mm feeler gauge just for practice...changed my gear oil...changed my motor oil and filter...adjusted idle...

i had bought a syringe but trying to draw the gear oil up through the tube was very hard...the tubing was too small and in the process i created a lot of bubbles in the oil in the syringe so i'm wondering if i put in the correct amount...if i was to keep filling it till it pours out of the back is that the correct volume or are there issues with overfilling at that point?...i put in 80ml and then another 10ml but both had bubbles cause i used the syringe...next time i'll use a liquid measuring cup to pour it into the back of the syringe...i also may modify the syringe to take larger inner diameter tubing if i can

things i have left to do...
-insurance/registration/inspection
-new grips and bar end mirrors
-maybe saddlebags or maybe a milk crate on the rear rack...i wish the rack was designed better to have a higher weight capacity than 11lbs...from what i've read on here that 11lbs is for where the rack connects to the frame due to the rack being a cantilever design...i wonder if i could add a support brace on each side between the cowl guard and the rear rack without obstructing the brake light to disperse some of the weight off of the connection point behind the seat...probably just go with saddlebags and ditch the rear rack and rear trunk...or rig up a way to tie down stuff in the footrest area

this is a good option if i have 2 helmets with me...
http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic1348.html#20862
Last edited by Point37 on Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syd

Post by Syd »

If I remember correctly, there are two posts just back from the seat hinge that you can hang a helmet on.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Syd wrote:If I remember correctly, there are two posts just back from the seat hinge that you can hang a helmet on.
thanks...that seems like the best option for what i want to do...
http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic1348.html#20862
Point37

Post by Point37 »

well this past friday i got my insurance/registration/inspection squared away and went for a little rip afterwards before the rain rolled in...this thing is fun as hell!...i do wish for a little more pickup and some more top end but i really can't complain...i got it up to 60 mph on a straight section of highway just to see what it could do...took a little while to get there but it kept climbing until i had to slow down before i could see where it topped out...so i will be trying that again from a rolling start where i can turn onto that section of road to see if i can top it out...

i also bumped into the mudflap and snapped the tab on the side of the rear colored body panel where it connects so i think i will be having to glue/epoxy or drill and zip tie that on...that pissed me off...don't really want to buy a whole new body panel and the buddy 125 emblem just for that

i need to wash the rear wheel and the undercarriage from the middle back and maybe give it a little wd40 bath so it doesn't get so dirty under there

i also rigged up a makeshift radio which i still need to play with to perfect
Attachments
IMG_0234.jpg
IMG_0234.jpg (169.94 KiB) Viewed 2492 times
IMG_0235.jpg
IMG_0235.jpg (173.48 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I wouldn't suggest wd40 for cleaning the motor. Actually I pretty much hate that stuff.

Use a degreaser on the motor. On tires I scrub with dawn and rinse very well.

Never use any tire dressing like armor all, too slippery on scooter tires
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Point37

Post by Point37 »

BuddyRaton wrote:I wouldn't suggest wd40 for cleaning the motor. Actually I pretty much hate that stuff.

Use a degreaser on the motor. On tires I scrub with dawn and rinse very well.

Never use any tire dressing like armor all, too slippery on scooter tires
thanks...i have plenty of degreaser that i can use on the motor and wheels...not cleaning tires just wheels...i have a buddy that uses wd40 on his dirt bike engines so the dirt washes right off when you hit it with a hose
Point37

Post by Point37 »

finally got in a decent amount of saddle time 15 mile trip each way to a hardware store to order a riding lawn mower...i had my speaker running which i was able to hear throughout the ride at speeds of maybe up to 55mph...but for the most part i was cruising at 45-50...was able to fit my 3/4 bell 500 custom helmet under the seat along with the speaker and my ipod when i went into the store...when i left a lady that worked there asked me if it was mine and i said yes and she said "cute"...that gave me a laugh...it was a little chilly of a ride but not uncomfortable

later on in the day i decided to begin installing my bar end mirrors...i cut the ends out of the oem grips (didn't have to make them shorter) and used a drill and dremel to get through the end of the throttle tube...i was surprised at how thick the plastic was on the throttle tube...i got the bar ends installed and didn't have time to put the mirrors on...it took a little adjustment till i could get the throttle side so the grip wouldn't bind with the bar end so it would return when let go of...hopefully this weekend i can get the mirrors off of my bonneville and onto the scooter as well as remove the mickey mouse ears from the buddy and reinstall the mickey mouse ears on the bonneville
Point37

Post by Point37 »

got the bar end mirrors on this past weekend...does anyone know the size of the oem mickey mouse ear mirror connections?...i may buy some plugs for the holes...i had bought some plastic 10mm brake boss plugs for my motorcycle to do the same thing but they are too large...or maybe i'll just mix up some instamorph and jam it in the hole and push an allen key in the top till it cures
Attachments
IMG_9604.jpg
IMG_9604.jpg (83.15 KiB) Viewed 2445 times
IMG_9603.jpg
IMG_9603.jpg (128.63 KiB) Viewed 2445 times
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Point37

Post by Point37 »

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewto ... =50#368162
BuddyRaton wrote:Some Buddys (I think the BJ and some others) came with an upgraded horn. I upgraded my Buddy 161 with a stebel. Someone enjoyed that scoot!
found my horn...not sure if it's an oem upgraded horn or not since it wasn't mounted in the same place as the typical horn...Yar Ton is a Taiwanese company...can't seem to find anywhere in the US to purchase one...115dB/2m...same output as a stebel nautilus (139dB/4in and 115dB/6ft) so that's good...

Yar Ton HYF-260
http://www.yarton.com.tw/en/product/Tur ... rettyPhoto

not sure if it's one of these installed by the previous owner since the website doesn't list the manufacturer...the dB ratings don't match but they may be using a closer distance rating so the number would be higher, like stebel does or maybe they tested it themselves, not sure
https://www.scooterworks.com/Mini-Turbi ... P6783.aspx
http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/product/HORN2
Point37

Post by Point37 »

new plate frame...very good quality but def not cheap...
Attachments
IMG_0225.jpg
IMG_0225.jpg (109.55 KiB) Viewed 2355 times
IMG_0276.jpg
IMG_0276.jpg (145.42 KiB) Viewed 2355 times