First service

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Choppergirl

First service

Post by Choppergirl »

Hi all, about to get the initial 500 mile service done on my Kick. Always had used bikes before and did my own maintenance, as keeping the warrantee valid wasn’t a concern. So I have no idea what it should cost. Any idea what I can expect a reasonable charge to be for this?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Doing your own first service won't void your warranty. Call the dealer and ask what they do on the first service. Engine and gear oil for sure. I doubt they check the valves, buy maybe they do. Buy the filter from the dealer. Keep all your receipts and note the date you did the work. Note exactly how much oil you put into the crankcase and the gear box.
Attachments
Maintenance record
Maintenance record
Screenshot 2018-10-10 at 6.22.09 AM.png (78.69 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
Choppergirl

Post by Choppergirl »

Thank you, but it looks from my manual like that will work for everything EXCEPT the first service. It specifies (in capital letters, no less! Lol) that it “must be inspected by an authorized Genuine dealer within 500 miles from date of purchase, else the warranted will be null and void�. From digging through their website it appears everything else looks like I can get away with my own work by following the procedures you’ve described. I’ve heard the warranties are great on these things, not gonna risk it! 🙂
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

It doesn't get any clearer than that. Let us know what they charge.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

DeeDee wrote:Doing your own first service won't void your warranty. Call the dealer and ask what they do on the first service. Engine and gear oil for sure. I doubt they check the valves, buy maybe they do. Buy the filter from the dealer. Keep all your receipts and note the date you did the work. Note exactly how much oil you put into the crankcase and the gear box.
Hate to correct you on this one, but they classify the first service is "inspection" on the warranty sheet (personal experience with this), and if you don't have it "inspected/serviced" by a Genuine dealer for that first 500 mile job, you will end up in trouble. After that you can do your own work, just make sure to keep records religiously.
dckick

Post by dckick »

Mine was $102 for the first service.
Choppergirl wrote:Thank you, but it looks from my manual like that will work for everything EXCEPT the first service. It specifies (in capital letters, no less! Lol) that it “must be inspected by an authorized Genuine dealer within 500 miles from date of purchase, else the warranted will be null and void�. From digging through their website it appears everything else looks like I can get away with my own work by following the procedures you’ve described. I’ve heard the warranties are great on these things, not gonna risk it! 🙂
Choppergirl

Post by Choppergirl »

So it ended up being $170. It was actually lower than I expected, as I’m on one of the smaller Hawaiian islands; everything is pricy here and there is only one shop available so their prices can be a wee bit high. But that covered 2 hours labor plus whatever fluids/materials. All in all I was happy with it! :)
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

My first service cost $215 in 2008 and took 20 minutes. After getting hosed like that I started doing all my own work.