Replacement factory-style electric choke carburetter?

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

chapel

Replacement factory-style electric choke carburetter?

Post by chapel »

I'm helping a friend of mine get her scooter running. The float bowl was completely clogged and full of hard, crusty fuel residue. The main jet was also pretty clogged too

I cleaned out the bowl and scaled them, I cleared the jets with a pin and cleaned the whole assembly. I loaded it with fresh gas after draining the old stuff.
I replaced the spark plug but I'm wondering if the carburetter was too gone. I wanted to see about getting a replacement carburetter on there.

I was shopping around and saw most of them were $160+ but this one was listed for under $100
https://www.scootertuning.ca/en/carbure ... kymco.html

it doesn't look exactly the same, but wondering if this could be made to work if I cut some new fuel lines to match the ports?

or: is there a better place I could find the OEM one?
chapel

Post by chapel »

anyone?
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Based on the bowl, it looks like there was only about half a bowl of crusted gas. If that's the case, then you might be able to get away with just a good cleaning, as you've done. If not, you can still bring this one back on the cheap by replacing the pilot jet, main jet, and jet holder. Those are your three big clog items. Even adding on a replacement bowl wouldn't drive the cost up to anywhere near a replacement carb.
chapel

Post by chapel »

there's a lot of crap up in the orifices beyond the jets too.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Looks like there's a Genuine dealership down in Boston, maybe they'd be able to do a deep clean? If not, maybe they'd have some options for a replacement? Kind of a hike, though...
Point37

Post by Point37 »

chapel

Post by chapel »

yeah, I was thinking if that $75 one works, it might be just as cheap as buying new jets and doing a deep clean. My wife has medical problems associated with strong odors like cleaning stuff like carb dip right now.

Also, I'm not entirely sure how to get the float out of this carburetter and I know that can't go in the dip.

This looks just like the one on it now and it even says it's a replacement for PGO engines
https://www.scootertuning.ca/en/carbure ... kymco.html
Point37

Post by Point37 »

to get the float out all you have to do is push the pin that it hinges on out and it will come right out...when you go to pull the float the needle valve will come with it so pay attention to how that is connected and don't bend the linkage

or buy this...i use mine all the time with water and simple green hd (purple) for carbs...
https://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter- ... 63256.html
chapel

Post by chapel »

Ok, I just went for it. got the carburetter stripped of all the rubber and plastic and dipped it. I'll check in tomorrow. I need to put a camera down the throat and make sure the reeds are ok.

*edit - my endoscope won't make the turn in the intake manifold... too long :(
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Easy way to tell if your reeds are good is to place your thumb over the intake tube while cranking the engine. If you get good suction, you're fine. If there is air puffing back out at you, "Houston, we have a problem"
chapel

Post by chapel »

ah, good point.
I was going to compression test it too. Would a compression test be different with bad reeds? I have to imagine it's not going to have any at BDC
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

It would definitely be worse. A happy/healthy Roughhouse should be anywhere from 135-150psi, depending on how your rings have worn. Anything below 125 will struggle to idle, and anything below 105 will be weak sauce that barely runs, if at all.
Last edited by Stanza on Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chapel

Post by chapel »

great. thanks. that's helpful