pet carrier melted my helmet strap

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Point37

pet carrier melted my helmet strap

Post by Point37 »

UPDATED:
i have a bell 500 custom helmet (bloodshot paint job) and hooked my helmet to the post under the seat similar to the photo at the link below but i didn't fold out the flap that contacts your skin from under the lid and the fake vinyl/leather covering disintegrated...i believe it was due to the age of the helmet not the heat cause there was a ziploc bag in there as well right on top of the door above the carb and that didn't melt

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic1348.html#20862
Last edited by Point37 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Wow, It gets warm in the pet carriers of my scooters but not so warm that it would melt vinyl. I routinely carry some plastic things inside the pet carrier and nothing has ever melted. Did you somehow have the vinyl part of the strap under the edge of the molded pet carrier "bucket" so it was hanging down into the engine compartment? Why wasn't the helmet on your head? :wink:
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Dooglas wrote:Wow, It gets warm in the pet carriers of my scooters but not so warm that it would melt vinyl. I routinely carry some plastic things inside the pet carrier and nothing has ever melted. Did you somehow have the vinyl part of the strap under the edge of the molded pet carrier "bucket" so it was hanging down into the engine compartment? Why wasn't the helmet on your head? :wink:
lol...nope it was inside the compartment...i'll have to get a photo of it
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Something isn't right. I hang my helmet on the posts all the time and have never had that happen. I also have all sorts of meltable crap in my pet carrier and it's all fine.

Are you sure you didn't set your helmet on a radiator heater in someone's apartment?
Point37

Post by Point37 »

k1dude wrote:Something isn't right. I hang my helmet on the posts all the time and have never had that happen. I also have all sorts of meltable crap in my pet carrier and it's all fine.

Are you sure you didn't set your helmet on a radiator heater in someone's apartment?
the scooter was probably sitting in the sun...i only rode a couple miles so it wasn't that hot...i had a ziplock bag with my registration in the pet carrier and that was fine so i'm thinking the material just disintegrated from it being older?...it's a bell custom 500 bloodshot (the paint job with all the eyeballs on it)...5+ years old i'm guessing but it hasn't been used a ton...have to look back in my paperwork for the exact date i bought it

https://www.webbikeworld.com/bell-custom-500-preview/
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Maybe you set the helmet down once where the straps touched some caustic solution of some sort.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

k1dude wrote:Maybe you set the helmet down once where the straps touched some caustic solution of some sort.
definitely not...it was from this one particular short ride...the helmet goes back in the helmet bag and sits on the scooter floorboard in the garage...and in the winter it gets stored in the house on a closet shelf
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

I'm confused... you were riding with the helmet on peg instead of your head? Despite the obvious irony, isn't really awkward? (EDIT: after re-reading, it seems like it happened while the bike was sitting)

Second, what's wrong with your Buddy that the pet carrier interior is so hot? I keep a big tube of foam ear plugs in there and those should melt at a much lower temp than that vinyl sleeve. Plus, I've got a 171 cc running hard underneath. I almost wonder if you've got some problem with your cooling shrouds.

Assuming everything's normal, I'm going to guess the material was just old and worn out. I'd say it's time to get a new helmet, but I can't - My Arai Profile is well past it's prime.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

JettaKnight wrote:I'm confused... you were riding with the helmet on peg instead of your head? Despite the obvious irony, isn't really awkward? (EDIT: after re-reading, it seems like it happened while the bike was sitting)

Second, what's wrong with your Buddy that the pet carrier interior is so hot? I keep a big tube of foam ear plugs in there and those should melt at a much lower temp than that vinyl sleeve. Plus, I've got a 171 cc running hard underneath. I almost wonder if you've got some problem with your cooling shrouds.

Assuming everything's normal, I'm going to guess the material was just old and worn out. I'd say it's time to get a new helmet, but I can't - My Arai Profile is well past it's prime.
no it was parked and the bike was off and the helmet was on the plastic peg under the seat...i should update the OP cause there was a ziploc bag with my registration in there as well so it def wasn't from the heat...i'm guessing it was just old as well now...just found it funny that it was fine until i went to put it on to ride home...i also have a Arai Signet GTR which is even older (maybe 2005) which i won't get rid of...that helmet was over $500 when i bought it probably closer to $600
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Point37 wrote:no it was parked and the bike was off and the helmet was on the plastic peg under the seat...i should update the OP cause there was a ziploc bag with my registration in there as well so it def wasn't from the heat...i'm guessing it was just old as well now...just found it funny that it was fine until i went to put it on to ride home...i also have a Arai Signet GTR which is even older (maybe 2005) which i won't get rid of...that helmet was over $500 when i bought it probably closer to $600
I also find it strange that the helmet strap would do a sudden deterioration due to age as you describe. Any chance the helmet was hanging so the strap could have touched the hot exhaust header or muffler?

From the broader perspective, helmets are like tires. They do age out thru time. If the strap is deteriorating, the rest of the liner and the shell are probably no longer in the best of shape either.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

i think the helmet is just showing it's age...it happened on the other side that wasn't under the seat as well
Attachments
IMG_0412.jpg
IMG_0412.jpg (55.2 KiB) Viewed 950 times
IMG_0411.jpg
IMG_0411.jpg (53.84 KiB) Viewed 950 times