Question about starting Buddy 50

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Nintari

Question about starting Buddy 50

Post by Nintari »

Hey guys, as some of you know I recently bought a new Buddy 50 and since then, I've had this issue and I don't know if it's normal or not since this is my first scooter in years and my first Genuine 2T.

Ok, so the issue is, about eight out of every ten times I go to start my scooter whether cold or not, I have to give it some throttle while pushing the electric start. Is that normal for a brand new Genuine Buddy 50? Back when I had my Jog, which was brand at the time, I don't remember having to ever give it throttle at all. One push, and it was up and running. So, I don't know if this is normal or not.

Second, and this just started happening today. When I give it throttle and push the electric start, unless I KEEP reving it for about five seconds, it just bogs out and stops. If I take off right away, everything is fine from that point on. This didn't happen on every start but probably on half of them. I don't know if this maters or not but, this was the first day I rode it in 70+ degree weather.

What do you guys think? Is this normal? Do I need to adjust something? Any help would be appreciated.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Normal for me on my RH50. a little throttle twist, and push the starter, and you're good to go. You could try adjusting the idle a little higher, but honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Nintari

Post by Nintari »

Thanks. I thought it seemed odd for a brand new scooter to require five seconds of throttle in order to keep it running. Seems like it should just start right off from the ignition button.
scootbwh

Post by scootbwh »

I agree, it shouldn't require any throttle. I have a couple buddy's and RH's and at sea level, just require a press of the starter...they rev high(ish) then calm down after the choke opens up.

That being said, since I brought them up to 4k feet elevation, they've been a PITA and very difficult to tune.
Nintari

Post by Nintari »

scootbwh wrote:I agree, it shouldn't require any throttle. I have a couple buddy's and RH's and at sea level, just require a press of the starter...they rev high(ish) then calm down after the choke opens up.

That being said, since I brought them up to 4k feet elevation, they've been a PITA and very difficult to tune.
What do you think I should do? I live about an hour away from the dealer I got it from and it's nothing but toll roads all the way there. I'd rather not take it back there if I don't have to but, if this is something serious I guess I'd have to.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

You could try adjusting the idle a little higher.

Honestly. I wouldn't worry. It starts.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I'm at sea level and all my sub-200 carb equipped scooters have always required a bit of throttle at start up. Nothing new and nothing abnormal.
Nintari

Post by Nintari »

Thanks guys!
14Buddy50

Starting Buddy 50

Post by 14Buddy50 »

Mine starts immediately with no throttle.

My idle has been turned down way low.

I do give it a little gas,
after it has been started,
small revs warming.
After that, it idles fine.

I barely touch the starter button and it fires right up.

4K + miles
skipper20

Re: Question about starting Buddy 50

Post by skipper20 »

Nintari wrote:Hey guys, as some of you know I recently bought a new Buddy 50 and since then, I've had this issue and I don't know if it's normal or not since this is my first scooter in years and my first Genuine 2T.

Ok, so the issue is, about eight out of every ten times I go to start my scooter whether cold or not, I have to give it some throttle while pushing the electric start. Is that normal for a brand new Genuine Buddy 50? Back when I had my Jog, which was brand at the time, I don't remember having to ever give it throttle at all. One push, and it was up and running. So, I don't know if this is normal or not.

What do you guys think? Is this normal? Do I need to adjust something? Any help would be appreciated.
It's a carb thing. Carburetors are finicky. Detroit stopped using them on cars and trucks years ago. Some scooters have moved to EFI but many like yours have not. But that's OK. As has already been suggested, just learn to live with a carburetor. They do require some extra warm up at times.

Bill in Seattle
Member Emeritus