Confirmation of Carburetor Float Valve Position

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Paczki

Confirmation of Carburetor Float Valve Position

Post by Paczki »

Long time follower, first time poster here. I have a 2009 Buddy 125 cc with only 3k miles. I'll try to make a longish story short with some bullet points.
  • Let my scooter sit for about 1.5 years without prepping it and it wouldn't start with a kickstart, thought the auto start was broken. Added 50/50 seafoam and gas naively thinking this would work. Checked the battery which was dead and then replaced the battery, now auto start works but it still won't start.
  • Pulled the carb to clean; it was unbelievably dirty, not surprisingly. Cleaned the carb carefully with cleaner and a toothbrush and put it back in. Patiently tried to start while rocking back and forth and it started up but died quickly.
  • Sent the photos to a friend, pulled the carb and cleaned it out better and carefully with qtips and a dental tool. Then it starts up better but still chokes off. Did this a few more times and turned the idle down until it would run for a minute before choking off.
  • Changed the oil, which deserves another post because there was no hex bolt on the end, it had that terrible slot. Now it starts and runs fairly well, I drove it a few miles on my street. It would choke off if I didn't have the throttle engaged.
  • Parked it in the garage. Came out the next day and there was a pool of gas. Clamped the line, did some research. The air filter housing was flooded with gas from the leak, which I discovered was coming through the carb up through the air intake. Which means float valve.
  • So I pull the carb today and sure enough, the clip between the valve and the float came off.
So now I placed the clip back on, but would like to know if I have it correct. Does the bent spring goes around the float valve and over the metal clip attached to the float valve? So that when the float goes up, the valve opens? Here are the photos. https://imgur.com/a/FyindPp
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

That is correct, yes.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

If gas is leaking into the air filter while the scooter is parked with engine off, both the float and petcock failed.
Paczki

Post by Paczki »

Thank you! The petcock is connected to the gas tank or the carb? I've been looking through the manuals and I can't seem to find anything on where it's located. Anyone have a good description, drawing or photo?

Is the petcock fixable or does it need to be replaced?
MGM

Post by MGM »

The petcock is located at the gas tank outlet. There are two hoses attached to it, both leading back toward the carb. One is the gas supply and attaches to the carb. The other is the vacuum supply and attaches to the intake. Changing the peacock requires the you drain the tank. Also make sure to reattach the hoses the same way they were on originally.