Cracked my engine case at exhaust mount

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KX_Larry

Cracked my engine case at exhaust mount

Post by KX_Larry »

I was mounting my prima exhaust and wasn't paying attention and put the wrong bolt in and it cracked the case. 90% of the internal threads are still good and I was just going to mount the exhaust and then put some J&B Weld on the cracks. :cry: Any other thoughts
Attachments
exhause 1.jpg
exhause 1.jpg (53.79 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
exhaust 2.jpg
exhaust 2.jpg (81.75 KiB) Viewed 1243 times
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Drill out the hole clear to the other side, jb the crack together, and put a nut on the other side.
KX_Larry

Post by KX_Larry »

How about a longer threaded bolt that goes all the way through and put a nut on the back. I'm not sure I want to drill the whole out completely.

I was thinking of bolting on the muffler then applying the JB. My one concern is the JB will go through the crack and lock the bolt into place. I need to get the bolt out in the future. Maybe I can work the bolt a little before the JB sets or put a little oil on the bolt so the JB doesn't stick to bolt?

Other option would be to screw in a stud and lock it in place with a half inch or so sticking out. Mount the muffler and put a locking nut on it.
KX_Larry

Post by KX_Larry »

Fixed. Couldn't go all the way through or put a nut on back. Used a slightly longer bold with loctite since I was missing some threads at the start. Applied some JB weld at the crack, I'm not sure it really did much if anything but it's on there.