I may be getting a pink Buddy 50....

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sc00ter

I may be getting a pink Buddy 50....

Post by sc00ter »

On the cheap ($400) to help a friend out with affordable transport. She has prior riding experience and does not mind the color. Its the 06?, small headlight, ALL pink version. My question, its still restricted! I know there is a washer between the variator pulleys, and I believe I have to remove the cone from the exhaust. Anything else? And any headlight bulb upgrades that make the headlight a bit brighter? Tires look good as I think they were replaced not long ago but the battery is dead. Prior owner has been kickstarting it. Also plan on flushing/changing the brake fluid and change the reduction box oil. Her current scooter was a free Hyosung Sense that is HAMMERED! Im getting tired of trying to help her keep it on the road, hence an affordable Buddy 50. Im confident she will take care of it and being a Buddy it will serve her well.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

An OG buddy! 400 bucks is a great deal, what kind of shape is the bike in aside from you'd mentioned?

That small headlight is only a 35 watt bulb....not a huge amount to be done with it. I have a feeling that's why they went straight to the larger headlight design for the 07 and up models.

As for the restrictor, you have it correct. All you need to do is pull the CVT ring, and the exhaust cone at the header connection. I'd also have a look at the belt and roller weights while you're in there, dry rot on the belt, flat spots on the rollers, etc.

I wouldn't trust the tires, unless you have proof that they were changed out within the last few years. But if the previous owner hasn't bothered with a battery, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Still, great find! Shouldn't take too much to put this bike back to rights, even if it's been neglected.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Actually the 125 Buddy as well as the 50 had the small headlight in 2006. The 125 switched to the larger headlight in 2007 and all subsequent Buddys have followed suit. I don't know what year the 50 switched over, but am pretty sure it was later.
johnk

Post by johnk »

In addition to visible wear or dry rot, it might be a good idea to take the tires' actual age into account. You can determine that by finding the four-digit number in an oval on the side of the tire. The first two digits are the week and the last two are the year. For example, a tire manufactured this week would say "4618."
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Its in really nice shape. Just your usual tip-over marks but no speed slides or cracked panels. Someone busted the headlight ring somehow but it comes with a whole new upper cowl (color matched pink) and a new headlight ring. Has Michelin tires on it, just not sure what type right of the bat. Gonna raid the piggy bank and try and pick it up this weekend. I think its worth every penny myself and Im half tempted to keep it and speed it up with a bbk. Go blast on China scooters with a pink Buddy! But I dont have space....
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

In 06 many commented...OK..complained...about the headlight. Personally I have never really had a complaint about it.

I think a Vintage 06 Buddy is the only year with the correct sized headset!

Looks like a slamming deal. Go over the things suggested above and you should be golden!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

I wonder if they are swappable....if you were to find the headset plastics, and a larger headlight, could it be converted to the larger style?
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I have a larger headlight assembly hiding in the garage. Should be complete but its black. Im just buying it for someone the help them out. I wonder if I could still track down a running light kit (Voodoo?) or just do my lazy, sloppy homemade one. One of you Buddy owners found some BRIGHT led lights for the deadlight pods. Anyways, hope to put the change (wife and I collect piggy banks) thru the counter and get it this weekend.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Turns out its a 2009. Tires are around 2 years old. Scooter has just over 1000 miles on it. Prior owner only had a 2 mile commute so thats why the miles are low. The battery is 3 years old (Xtreme brand from Batteries+) but its deader than dead. Got it on the 2 amp AMG charger. Hope it revives. Came with one factory key but I should have PGO blanks in the garage. Also has the owners manual. For a still restricted 50cc the little pink Buddy is fun to ride! Still the best deal in scooters IMHO. And because its a 2 stroke the wife named it "Stinky Pinky"! She hates 2 strokes so much she offered to buy me a new Honda Ruckus if I pass my 98 Zuma on to a new home. I love Zuma's to much to do that but I also like the Ruckus. Anyways, new owner is excited about the Buddy. Hope to drop it off no later then next weekend.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

"Stinky Pinky!" haha, I like that. You could always get some of that strawberry scented 2-cycle oil, then it'd smell a little better.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

This thing is awesome! It does an INDICATED 45mpm. Has a bit of a bog from stopped. Transmission related, nothing dangerous, very minor. The battery took a charge but I dont think it will hold it. Im getting the better battery that someone discovered were you remove the battery box tabs to fit it. ES9-BS. Anyways, gonna ride it to work for awhile as a fun shake down run. The person I purchased it for cannot register anything in her name until she pays a fine from ignoring a tax on her current moped? Says its up to $500 after late fees!!!! We dont have property tax on mopeds here, even though they are now tagged. Not putting it in my name unless its to register it in my name, for MY use. The prior owner let me use their tag for now. Wonder how many times Im gonna get called a naughty name for riding a pink moped! Im a heavy metal guy with long hair so it will be extra funny!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Only annoying issue found: the left control has a stripped mirror hole. Trying to find just the back of the control used that is not damaged OR new. Scooter Tuning has/had just the back half of the controls listed is the Zuma bug-eye section awhile back. The Zuma bug-eye controls are the same as Buddy controls in the back half of the switch assemblies. Heck, the left control is 100% the same. Anyways, thats all I really found. Now, for the future owner. She needs to get her ducks in a row and take care of her property tax so she can register it in her name. Im starting to love the little pink Buddy and would not have an issue adding it to the fleet.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Nice! Well, the part number on that back plate is P154F020000. Pretty much you can get it anywhere online, and it's not expensive. Two Phillips head screws hold it on, and there are no surprises with swapping it out, aside from transplanting the brake lever as well.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

You are the best Stanza! When I went back and looked on Scooter Tuning they were no longer listed. I found a spare from a bug-eye Zuma, but your detective work is great! How come I never found back plates sold separately? Will look and order some spares. Thanks again! Note: I just ordered 2 left and 2 right sides! Worth every penny. Again, great find!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Oh, and the property tax. I have NEVER received a property tax on a moped in Virginia Neither have any of my friends. The next owner of the Buddy got a property tax for $28, that is now $548, because she said she never recieved it till now!!! The P-Town tax office had her DMV privileges frozen, so she cant register the Buddy in her name till she gets it resolved. They (tax office) taxed it as a motorcycle. Her title and registration say "moped" on her Hyosung that got her into this mess. Once she gets it removed/resolved she can pick up her new ride. Kids today.......
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Nothing to it! The diagrams are on the forums here, in the technical library, and there are a few online vendors, so it's just a matter of matching it up. A little extra free time didn't hurt either.
sc00ter wrote:You are the best Stanza! When I went back and looked on Scooter Tuning they were no longer listed. I found a spare from a bug-eye Zuma, but your detective work is great! How come I never found back plates sold separately? Will look and order some spares. Thanks again! Note: I just ordered 2 left and 2 right sides! Worth every penny. Again, great find!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Just waiting on some small parts and the future owner to settle that tax stuff. Now, my predicament:
My Burgman 200 is past its cost of ownership value. Not fixing it, just gonna run it in the ground. Anyways, since most of you own other brands I want opinions. Going down in cc's this time:
1) Yamaha Zuma 125. 2nd gen. My first one has a loom issue that Yamaha did NOT stand behind.
2) Honda PCX 150. 2019 model. I like Honda's.
3) Lance PCH or Cabo 200i. Alliance still the importers? Parts issues?
4) KYMCO Agility 125 or Super 8 150.
5) Piaggio Liberty 150. DONT TRUST the only nearby dealer. Nope. Sucks because I like big wheel scooters.
Would consider another Genuine scooter but the rear rack drama on the Buddy and the windshield drama on the Hooligan make me pass. Better quality accessories would be welcome.
So, opinions? Anything I missed? Wife will have to go and sit on them with me to see what fits best.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Last thing with Stinky Pinky. When cold, the electric starter does a quick spin that does not engage, like its stuck? Only when the scooter is warmed up does the electric start work correctly. So, I replaced the tiny "4" battery and did the mod for the "9" super size battery, thinking it was just a weak battery. Well, it still does the quick start spin/no engagement when cold. It does not really bother me to much, because it starts 1st kick every time, but is this a known thing? Is there a easy fix? Just trying to get it 100% perfect. And dumb one for you do-it yourself or tuning types. How do you hold the variator? My strap wrench just slips and their are no locking points that I see. I used the dreaded impact wrench, not my favorite option.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

What was the rear rack drama on the buddy?
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Your rear rack hasn't broken yet? Im shocked! Both of my Buddy's have had the rear rack center brace break and cause the rack to flop-tearing out the front 2 mounting points! Its bad enough that every rack for a Buddy never goes on without a fight but when it breaks and does more damage, thats annoying! I've gotten pretty good at bullet proofing the rear rack but would rather just avoid it all together. I've also seen 2 Hooligans with broken windshield mounts! So both of those are not on my short list for a replacement. My scooters are daily trans, and a windshield and trunk are mandatory. I LOVED my Buddy's so much, just hate that Prima rear rack.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Not that I want to sound accusatory, but how much weight are you carrying on that rack? I mean....they are only intended for about 10lbs worth of kit, if memory serves. I'm not running a rear rack myself, because the weight limit was a deciding factor.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Run a rear Prima rack with a empty trunk and find out! Did not matter if I hauled pillows, they break. First reason, none ever fit correctly. You have to force it on! Second, the metal quality is not the best, and the cross brace is a terrible design. My wife never hauled anything in hers, just stored her helmet and gloves when parked and it cracked. This topic has been covered before, and I feel bad that I never posted the photos on the front mount repairs.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

I have been running the same rear rack on my Buddy for ~8 years and well over 50k and it hasn't broken yet. I don't run a box on it but usually carry a bag with a few pounds of gear in it. Also, I regularly lift the back of the scooter up by lifting it with the rear rack to move it around the garage.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

scootERIK wrote:I have been running the same rear rack on my Buddy for ~8 years and well over 50k and it hasn't broken yet. I don't run a box on it but usually carry a bag with a few pounds of gear in it. Also, I regularly lift the back of the scooter up by lifting it with the rear rack to move it around the garage.
:wha:
Wow! Any chance you could show a picture of that rear rack that's lasted so long? If the primas are questionable, is yours another brand? Or is an older design?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

As I recall, the stock Buddy rack was redesigned years ago after numerous reports of a weak weld on the rear brace breaking. We have had a stock rack on our Buddy for 10 years with no problem.
350kmi

Post by 350kmi »

There are two versions of the Prima/stock rack as Dooglas mentioned. I have one of each.

The first one I bough in 2007 for my Buddy 125 when new - it lasted about 2 years before the weld on the center tab broke. It was very disappointing when it broke, but luckily there wasn't much on it. I was able to bend a new cross bracket from some hardware store metal stock and had a local shop weld it to the rack - this fix is still working.

I'm not sure when they updated the design, but when I bought the rear rack for my 170 in 2012 the center mount had been redesign. The small tab of the original had been replaced by a metal bar that is welded across/between the 2 main side tubes. On my daily commute I usually carry 5-10 pounds on the rack and after 7 years/31,500 miles the newer design has had no trouble.

The pic showing the hardware is the newer design I have had good luck with. I wasn't able to find a picture of the original rack design, but the second picture is of a similar center tab style, although the one in the picture is heavier built. The original had a single metal tab come down the middle of the rack - which is what broke.
Attachments
Rack_2.jpg
Rack_2.jpg (110.7 KiB) Viewed 267728 times
Rack_1.jpg
Rack_1.jpg (43.28 KiB) Viewed 267727 times
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

350kmi wrote:I'm not sure when they updated the design, but when I bought the rear rack for my 170 in 2012 the center mount had been redesign.
The new design was out by late 2010, that's when I got mine, it might have even been available earlier.
Stanza wrote: :wha:
Wow! Any chance you could show a picture of that rear rack that's lasted so long? If the primas are questionable, is yours another brand? Or is an older design?
I have the same one that 350kmi posted a picture of, the one with the mounting hardware in the picture. Mine is black.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Ok, I get it, Prima racks dont break anymore! Anyways, how do you hold the variator on a 50cc Buddy? On both of my Zuma's I use a castle not lock-down that bolts to the case. Also have good luck with strap wrenches. And is the high speed spinning of the starter when cold/not engaging normal? Works fine once warmed up. Easy fix? I did the ES9-BS swap and get the same results as the stock battery. Thanks again for any help, advice or info.
350kmi

Post by 350kmi »

I don't have a good solution for holding the variator, but I have had a similar sounding starter problem on both my 2008 Roughhouse and 2001 Honda Elite 50.

In both cases it was the mechanism (I can't recall the name of it right now) that transmits power from the starter motor to the gear on the crankshaft behind the variator. On automotive starters this mechanism is usually built into the starter and is what allows the starter to disengage from the flywheel. On the Buddy 50s it's separate piece, if you have the transmission cover off you can see it behind and to the right of the variator - there is a small plate in front of it attached by 2 bolts that holds it in place. The mechanism consists of large fine tooth gear that meshes directly with the starter motor and a smaller gear slides out when spun to engage the gear on the crank. In both my case the grease on the shaft the small gear slides on had become gummed up and cleaning and re-grease helped. I believe when warm the old grease softens enough for the small gear to slide easier.

The mechanism is #19 in the image below:
Attachments
Buddy_1.png
Buddy_1.png (113.45 KiB) Viewed 267702 times
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Yes, she took care of (got removed!) the property tax! The big day was going to be the 5th of this month, but Bush's funeral closed down everything. So we moved the big reveal to Saturday. Last issue: Pinky hates really cold weather. Even when warmed up after a 7 mile WOT run, it will try, and sometimes succeeds, at stalling during idle. Running 2 ounces of Seafoam thru it and find what screw adjust the idle. It seems to starve when it stalls. You have to give it a good bit of throttle when restarting it after a stall. But I will be glad to turn it over to the new owner. I told her to join the forum when she gets it. Told her everyone was nice and helpful over here! Gonna miss Pinky a little bit. We bonded during our many rides together.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Delivered it this morning and went with her to the DMV. Its hers! Only thing I learned is, there is no air/fuel screw on the carb. Was told to tape off half of the intake on the carb, but it didnt really help.... So, my last question. Can I just up-jet the pilot jet? Update: Ordered a #40 pilot from Scooter Lounge. Says it replaces the stock #35 jet.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Hmm, 35 is the stock size for the Roughhouse, but the buddy should have a #40.
Roughhouse - 35 idle/pilot, 82 Mainjet
Buddy 50 - 40 Idle/Pilot, 78 Mainjet
tenders

Post by tenders »

I haven’t had my own apart yet, but documentation for stock jetting on the 50 is confusing and inconsistent. I’m seeing 35/75 here:
http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/buddy50carburetor

But have seen 40/75 elsewhere. And here you are with 40/78. Is there a consensus on “stock� and “better stock�?
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

That was what Scoot Lounge had listed, replaces the #35. I guess we will see when it shows up and I get it apart. Will post my findings.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Dooglas wrote:As I recall, the stock Buddy rack was redesigned years ago after numerous reports of a weak weld on the rear brace breaking. We have had a stock rack on our Buddy for 10 years with no problem.
Yeah the early racks were crap. I went through 2 of them fairly quickly but have now had the redesigned for quite some time now.

This was in the early days when Genuine, more specifically Phil, paid attention to the comments on MB and modifications to the headset and accessories were made.
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

My bad, you are right! It should be 75/40 on the buddy, and 82/35 for the Roughhouse. Sorry for the confusion!

tenders wrote:I haven’t had my own apart yet, but documentation for stock jetting on the 50 is confusing and inconsistent. I’m seeing 35/75 here:
http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/buddy50carburetor

But have seen 40/75 elsewhere. And here you are with 40/78. Is there a consensus on “stock� and “better stock�?
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Why me? I get to pick Pinky up for trouble shooting. I dies under load. It will run great on the center stand, and you can run next to it and it accelerates fine-but as soon as you put a load on it (sit on it) it bogs and/or dies. Owner said it lost a bit of power first, on the top end speed. I think the belt is shot from over-reving for 1000miles while being restricted. Also gonna test the stator. Spark plug is good. Plug cap is tight. Tried riding it with the seat pan assembly removed and it still bogs. Dont see any pinched wires or hoses. Oh, and the ground to the block looks good and is tight. Loosened gas cap also, not vapor lock. So, I suspect the transmission. Now at just under 1300miles. I think Pinky just misses me! Will post my findings and the results of the pilot up-jet when it arrives. This will also give me a reason to fix the sticking starter when cold too.
tenders

Post by tenders »

I would be thinking more carburetor than transmission based on your description. In particular, I’d be wondering about how clean that size 75 main jet is. It sounds as though it’s calling in sick when it’s being pressed into service at higher speeds/loads.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

That is on the To-Do list when I pull the pilot jet. I was gonna drain the float and spray some non-flammable brake cleaner thru it for now but the drain screw was to tight for my wimpy screwdriver. Pinky did do a bunch of sitting, not be ridden for long periods of time, so you may be on the right track.
tenders

Post by tenders »

Several of those carb fasteners are Japanese JIS Phillips heads, which are notoriously easy to strip with standard US Phillips bits. (So, by the way, are the screws holding the master cylinder cap on, as I found out the hard way.) Don’t use a cheap or mis-sized screwdriver on them. If you can’t get a JIS driver, use a good standard driver sized properly for maximum contact with the flutes in the screw head, and press very hard when turning. And consider replacing them with high grade fasteners with standard Phillips or hex heads, along with a dab of anti seize on the threads, so they come off more easily forevermore.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

sc00ter wrote:That is on the To-Do list when I pull the pilot jet. I was gonna drain the float and spray some non-flammable brake cleaner thru it for now but the drain screw was to tight for my wimpy screwdriver. Pinky did do a bunch of sitting, not be ridden for long periods of time, so you may be on the right track.
Use the right stuff. It's a carb...use carb cleaner. Brake cleaner, even non-chlorinated, is nasty nasty stuff...and it's made to clean brakes.

Use the stuff to make your scooter go...not stop! :D

I would do a clean and rebuild on it.
www.teamscootertrash.com

tenders

Post by tenders »

Brake and carb cleaner are basically the same stuff - methylene, toluene, and acetone. Carb cleaner may be somewhat stronger.

Carb cleaner sprayed into a mounted carb is basically a placebo. If the carb is acting up enough to have a real symptom, you’re going to need to take it apart and clean out the jets individually, and probably mechanically, with a wire.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Pulled the carb apart and soaked it in a ultrasonic parts cleaner with a few drops of Dawn. Also discovered that the factory pilot is #40. No harm, might try drilling the new #40 up to a #45. Anyways, scooter runs great now, even better than before! Great little scooter, makes me want a RH50 now! Oh, and the whole carb cleaner vs. other things. We use NON-flammable brake cleaner on all carbs. We also use Dawn dish soap with the parts cleaners. It may be right or wrong, but I work for a chainsaw manufacturer and thats all we use in the labs when working on used products. And finally, had to replace the front tire on Pinky with a Conti Zippy 90/90. One on it was loosing air. Turns out the original owner replaced both tires when one of the OEM tires got damaged, and the "new" looking ones were as old as the scooter. Going to replace the rear tire next. I have a extra Conti Zippy 80/100 thats new, but its not the "correct" 90/90 size. Wonder if it would still work? Or just stick with OEM sizes? And yup, Im doing the valve stems also!
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

Big fan of the pink 125!

vintagegarage

Pink Buddy

Post by vintagegarage »

Me too! By far the best color. About time this thread got back to the topic..

Image[/img]
tenders

Post by tenders »

Keep those pink scooters locked up, fellas. If my green Italia comes across one of those in the wild, no stopping it, in two strokes yours is going to end up pregnant.
Carolhills

Re: Pink Buddy

Post by Carolhills »

vintagegarage wrote:Me too! By far the best color. About time this thread got back to the topic..

Image[/img]
Great color and form, had it a while back ago. It is quite tougher than it looks. Would surely recommend it.
sc00ter

Re: I may be getting a pink Buddy 50....

Post by sc00ter »

Bringing this thread back up. Why, you ask? So I got this Buddy to help someone get on their feet. Get a job and some independence. Well, after all this time nothing has changed. The owner contacted me recently saying the Buddy wont go over 20mph and its hard to start. This poor Buddy has been hit 3 times, all by cars! And it gets left outside year round. I told her (the owner) I don't work on wreaked bikes because I'm not wasting a day of my time chasing down problems that could be caused by an accident, or neglect (she never has it serviced), crash damage (I wish I had a picture of this poor scooter) and finally she doesn't "need" the scooter to get to anything important like a job. It's basically just a bum mobile.

She said she was going to take it to a local scooter shop to see how much it would cost to get working correct and possibly cosmetic repair. I don't think its going to happen but if she does I'll post a update. The whole front end is smashed up and the forks are visibly bent, I don't think a shop will work on it in good faith. I tried helping this person but I'm done. I'm not a free mechanic and my time is better spent playing pinball or riding my ebike in the neighborhood exploring.

I also quit helping a guy with a Zuma bug-eye 2-stroke. He's no better than the pink Buddy girl. Unemployed, lives at home with is mom and never does any service work on the Zuma. My bum support rescue service is now officially closed! Who else has tried to help people who just end up trying to use you?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I have a complete front end with fender, forks and wheel off a low mile 2006 when you get sucked back in.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

When she first got hit by a car I found her a good front end for a great price but new Air Pods or something were more important. Her priorities are not centered on transportation being safe.