Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Motorcycles!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » G400C Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Motorcycles! Reply with quote

God help us...
skully93

currently ‘09 Buddy Italia, Honda CTX700DCT

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still kinda want one, even though I am swimming in bikes.

Denver has also become absolutely s**t to ride in. I do it for sanity, but...ugh.

Still want one. And a RE Interceptor. And a Goldwing. And a pony!

'09 GTS250

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, a new forum, yippee!
KABarash

'04 Honda Met "Archie" [Had to trade it :cry: ] '08 St. Tropez 'Simon'

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clap Clap Clap Clap

Goofy I can’t wait to read others’ impressions after seeing and riding since we’ve waited sooooo long!

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KABarash wrote:
I can’t wait to read others’ impressions after seeing and riding since we’ve waited sooooo long!

I know, right? I figured motorcyclists needed their own forum to discuss things like D-I-D chains and sprockets, and chain tensioners, and 18" tires and motorcycle stuff like that. I can't wait to hear from our first crossover rider who actually started on a Buddy and moved up to a G400C. It's surprising how many of us were motorcyclists first and came to the Genuine Buddy because they are fun.

My fond hope is that the G400C will attract a mix of folks including folks who are trading up, folks who are trading down, and folks who are looking for that perfect first bike. I hope we can be of service to all.
johnk

2012 Stella 4T

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never liked motorcycles at all before getting my Stella, but the process of learning to ride and work on it has changed that. If I do ever get a motorcycle, the G400C would be the first one I look at.

I have to admit that it bothers me how transparenly Genuine is trying to sell us the retro-Americana lifestyle. ("Let’s focus on the people you’ll meet and the friendships you’ll form as you travel the roads that will take you through big cities, small towns and rural America.") I absolutely love my Stella, and its mechanical simplicity/quirkiness is part of its charm, but it has made me extremely wary of being sold an attractive, fantasy-inducing product rather than a quality product.

For example, I feel a little swindled by the retro-Americana-style Biltwell Gringo helmet I bought, which I bought because it looked awesome, and only later learned that it offers much less protection than modern helmets should. And when I contacted Biltwell to ask whether my helmet's face shield conforms to the ANSI Z87.1 safety standard as required by my state, they told me that ANSI Z87.1 is not a motorcycle safety standard. They're wrong about that. So when every rider in the G400C advertisements has a Biltwell Gringo helmet on, my gut tells me to stay away.
Dooglas

Buddy 125, GTS300, Typhoon 125

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnk wrote:
I absolutely love my Stella, ……………. but it has made me extremely wary of being sold an attractive, fantasy-inducing product rather than a quality product.

Careful, you are starting to sound political. Shocked
Stanza

Puch Maxi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dooglas wrote:
johnk wrote:
I absolutely love my Stella, ……………. but it has made me extremely wary of being sold an attractive, fantasy-inducing product rather than a quality product.

Careful, you are starting to sound political. Shocked

Look at it this way....your Stella is teaching you valuable mechanical skills. You may not always like your teacher, but you will be thankful for it later on.
johnk

2012 Stella 4T

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I thought I could sneak in some complaining over in the G400C corner before anyone got here!

I guess my real point is that there can be a fine line between lovable, educational, complex, rolling beauty (like the Stella) and cheap crap with a good marketing spin (like my Biltwell helmet).

I want and expect the G400C to be on the Stella side, but those ads aren't helping!
dasscooter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone like JohnK is why I think Genuine should have named their motorcycle brand something *not* Genuine.

I've already gotten the whole "I like the G400 but my Stella was a pile" a few times. I try to explain that they couldn't be more different and that Genuine themselves aren't out back building bikes and scooters - but there's still that bad taste in their mouths.

It makes sense, though. 95% of customers aren't going to get nor care about the whole importer vs manufacturer thing. All they'll see is another retro looking thing with a Genuine badge.

Hopefully I'm wrong and it won't be as bad once people get to look at them.
johnk

2012 Stella 4T

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right, dassscooter, but just to clarify: my Stella is NOT a pile! I love it, it is beautiful, and it has taught me a lot about value. I know that Genuine didn't manufacture the Stella and doesn't manufacture the G400C. My only complaint is with how Genuine is marketing them to us. That's the only point where the bad taste shows up (and it tastes like Biltwell). And, again, I would absolutely look at a G400C if ever I decided to buy a motorcycle!
Stanza

Puch Maxi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnk wrote:
I think you're right, dassscooter, but just to clarify: my Stella is NOT a pile! I love it, it is beautiful, and it has taught me a lot about value. I know that Genuine didn't manufacture the Stella and doesn't manufacture the G400C. My only complaint is with how Genuine is marketing them to us. That's the only point where the bad taste shows up (and it tastes like Biltwell). And, again, I would absolutely look at a G400C if ever I decided to buy a motorcycle!

Not an advertisement, but I LOVE my Biltwell helmet. To be fair though, it was my first new helmet in like 10 years, and all the padding had compacted in my old one.
dasscooter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnk wrote:

I know, I was just using you as an example. You do your own work so owning a Stella isn't a big deal.

Think if you didn't even own a screwdriver - how would you feel about your Stella? Stellas are mostly owned by enthusiasts now but it wasn't always like that.
johnk

2012 Stella 4T

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new CSC SG250 looks like another motorcycle that might appeal to people who are heretofore scooter riders. It's a 250cc and about half the price of the G400C. The style is a more modernized cafe racer.

Here is a video review.
Point37

'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mac-motorcycles.com/the-ruby/
Christophers

Psycho

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point37 wrote:
http://www.mac-motorcycles.com/the-ruby/

Looks and sounds expensive!

Dooglas

Buddy 125, GTS300, Typhoon 125

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dasscooter wrote:
Someone like JohnK is why I think Genuine should have named their motorcycle brand something *not* Genuine.

Hey now! The Genuine name is more associated with the Buddy than any other product. I would argue that the Buddy 125 is the most reliable and the best performer in its size range of any scooter ever sold in America. BuddyRaton and I were both commenting on the mechanical reliability of our Buddys in another recent thread. His '06 and our '07 have never had or needed any kind of mechanical repair since new - only routine servicing and tires. Pretty darned good record. Of course, that really gives the G400c something to live up to. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » G400C Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: