cost ? what did u get fixed and how much?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lunchbox589

cost ? what did u get fixed and how much?

Post by lunchbox589 »

got a blind estimate of will cost too much too fix better off buying
a new bike . flat tire , replace muffler ,oil leak about a 15000 miles
buddy 150
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Hard to believe that replacing a tire, a muffler, and a gasket would cost more than the value of your scooter. Tell us more about the "oil leak".
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Tires wear out and or get damaged while riding, just like a car. If the muffler rusted out or got damaged find a used OEM one or get the NCY replacement that is much cheaper than the OEM. Also curious as to what the oil leak is and where it is coming from. I do remember the 150 Buddy had the exposed oil cooler. someone clip it and the muffler on something?
skipper20

Re: cost ? what did u get fixed and how much?

Post by skipper20 »

lunchbox589 wrote:got a blind estimate of will cost too much too fix better off buying
a new bike . flat tire , replace muffler ,oil leak about a 15000 miles
buddy 150
How much was the "blind estimate"? And, who gave you the estimate? Dealer or independent repair shop? Exactly how bad is the oil leak and where is it coming from?

Bill in Seattle
Member Emeritus
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

If you just want to whine let us know and go for it.

If you want help give some freaking details. Don't troll with a little BS statement.

What was this "blind estimate" intended to address and how much.

You already have an NCY exhaust you installed yourself don't you? Mine is about 8 years old and is shot...but they wear out and I'll order another one and install it in about 10 minutes.

Tires are tires. You can spend a ton on them or you can get good quality tires at a reasonable price.

So what's the deal with the oil leak? Could be anything from a loose drain bolt to a major issue.

I have no clue where you are but if you're going to get rid of it because of minor things are too expensive shoot me a PM.

Leaving out the oil leak we're talking about $200 in parts.

So are you whining or asking for help?

I'm ready to call Shenanigans!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

To answer the title of your thread...which has nothing to do with your post.

On my 06 Buddy 125 I have not spent anything on mechanical repairs. Had to replace the right rear turn signal as I broke it.

I spent money on a kit, exhaust, carb.

Other than that belts, oil, gear lube, rollers...things that I do not consider repairs.

I did once buy a non running Buddy 125 for $330, repaired for about $150, found a buyer that wanted extras, had a total of about $600 into it and sold it for $1,600.

Like I said...if you're gonna get rid of it send me a PM
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

BuddyRaton wrote:On my 06 Buddy 125 I have not spent anything on mechanical repairs.
Your comment made me think. On our 2007 Buddy 125 (owned since new), we have also spent nothing on mechanical repairs. We have replaced tires, belt, rollers, oil, and oil filters. Also replaced a plastic panel which I broke.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Dooglas wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:On my 06 Buddy 125 I have not spent anything on mechanical repairs.
Your comment made me think. On our 2007 Buddy 125 (owned since new), we have also spent nothing on mechanical repairs. We have replaced tires, belt, rollers, oil, and oil filters. Also replaced a plastic panel which I broke.
Yeah if you keep up with the lube and valve adjustments they are pretty bullet proof. Even those not overly mechanically inclined can learn to do these tasks if they research and take their time. It's pretty easy stuff.

The most "common" problems I can recall are stators, especially on the 09s. But a new stator is like $45. I had to change out the stator and replace the starter on the one I flipped. That was it. (Hint...only an OEM starter will fit!)
www.teamscootertrash.com