New scooter! Many problems.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mrprofits213

New scooter! Many problems.

Post by Mrprofits213 »

New owner of a 2014 genuine buddy 125 scooter. Runs good!

Didn't came with keys so I kick start it. The problem I have is the turn signals from front and rear don't work. Hazard lights don't work. Brake lights don't work. Fuel gauge don't work. Horn don't work. Ignition switch is busted and disconnected. Cluster lights and headlight works fine.

I bought a new battery connect it and kick start the scooter in hoping to have the lights working with the battery at least connected no luck! The positive fuse is popped but I bypass and connected the battery with jumpers cables to the battery and wires of the scooter and nothing.

What can I do? Can I use a jumper on the ignition switch and use the starter switch to turn it on? Like fooling the switch that is on the on position?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

There is a reason the fuse blew. Pull out the VOM and start chasing it down.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
skipper20

Re: New scooter! Many problems.

Post by skipper20 »

Mrprofits213 wrote:New owner of a 2014 genuine buddy 125 scooter. Runs good!

Didn't came with keys so I kick start it. The problem I have is the turn signals from front and rear don't work. Hazard lights don't work. Brake lights don't work. Fuel gauge don't work. Horn don't work. Ignition switch is busted and disconnected. Cluster lights and headlight works fine.

I bought a new battery connect it and kick start the scooter in hoping to have the lights working with the battery at least connected no luck! The positive fuse is popped but I bypass and connected the battery with jumpers cables to the battery and wires of the scooter and nothing.

What can I do? Can I use a jumper on the ignition switch and use the starter
switch to turn it on? Like fooling the switch that is on the on position?
Buddy Raton is right. There's a reason why the fuse is blowing. Find out why and correct it. By-passing the problem will only lead to more problems like frying your entire electrical system. I would also recommend you get a new ignition switch assembly.

Bill in Seattle
Member Emeritus
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

It sounds like you bought a stolen scooter.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

k1dude wrote:It sounds like you bought a stolen scooter.
Yeah...I just didn't want to make that assumption...
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Starts with the kick starter without keys = hot wired. Hmm...
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

If you simply unplug the ignition, the scooter will kickstart with no keys. Nothing to hotwire.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

k1dude wrote:It sounds like you bought a stolen scooter.
Uh... yeah!
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
johnk

Post by johnk »

I don't think it's fair for everyone to assume Mrprofits213 bought a stolen scooter. Isn't it possible that he stole it himself?
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

johnk wrote:I don't think it's fair for everyone to assume Mrprofits213 bought a stolen scooter. Isn't it possible that he stole it himself?
Ha!

I was thinking it, but only you had the cohones to say it.
Woundedknee

Re: New scooter! Many problems.

Post by Woundedknee »

Mrprofits213 wrote:New owner of a 2014 genuine buddy 125 scooter. Runs good!

What can I do? Can I use a jumper on the ignition switch and use the starter switch to turn it on? Like fooling the switch that is on the on position?
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

On anything I own, if I blow a fuse, I use wire around it or stick a nail in its place. Fuses are a pain in the ass anyway. At home when I trip a breaker, I just replace it with a higher amp breaker.

Rewire the thing. Problem solved. You are doing all the right things.