Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buddy Seat will not latch.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
Crazy88s

06 Buddy 125, 08 Stella 150

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Buddy Seat will not latch. Reply with quote

I just got a solo seat for my 06 buddy 125, I put it on and I can't get it to latch. I do not want to force it because I do not want the latch to get stuck, any way any Ideas?
hairball

Blackjack , Vespa S150, KTM 625 SMC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked my solo on the blackjack...
Sorry, I don't see any way to adjust Confused
Put in a call to genuine.

Crazy88s

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Gas Cap Reply with quote

Thanks I was going to take it over to Sportique and have them check it out. If they can't figure it out I will give Genuine a call they are great at helping the customer. I know that the 06 scooter has a little bit different headlight, but I don't think the storage bin is any different. expect for one thing the Gas Cap is bigger and stick out more. maybe that's the problem. but I would doubt it because I tried to unscrew the gas cap then latch the seat. and still nothing, Does anyone know if the hinge is different on the Solo seat?
Cheshire

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One idea is to unbolt the seat, then put it on and see if it will latch. If it does, look or feel under the seat and see if the bolt holes line up and/or see if you can run the bolt through then.
Just a thought. Smile
Crazy88s

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I will give it a try
PIStaker

Buddy 125, Buddy 161, 59 Allstate, 59 Allstate Cruisaire, 72 Primavera, 78 P200

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Maybe this will work. Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with my solo seat. I was finally able to figure it out. Look to see if this what's going on with yours.
ericalm
Site Admin

STELLA FOUR STROKE FURY! + Vespa LX 150/190 + '87 Honda Helix CN250

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a way to raise the horizontal latch bar with a couple washers. I'll see if I can find a pic of the latch to show you, but it should be apparent if you remove the storage bin.
PIStaker

Buddy 125, Buddy 161, 59 Allstate, 59 Allstate Cruisaire, 72 Primavera, 78 P200

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericalm wrote:
There's a way to raise the horizontal latch bar with a couple washers. I'll see if I can find a pic of the latch to show you, but it should be apparent if you remove the storage bin.

+1
Spot on Eric, I forgot that I did that as well. I didn't want too much height, so I folded over a couple of pieces of thin cardboard, drilled some holes and whammo, problem solved.
Thanks for reminding me!
The pet carrier may sit a bit higher, and rub against the top body panels causing some of the color to wear off, but who cares, the seat folds down, covers it and you'll never see it anyway.
Crazy88s

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news I got the seat to work, all that it needed was some WD40, thankfully It was driving me nuts knowing I spent good money on the seat, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
k1dude

'08 Orange Buddy 125

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy88s wrote:
Good news I got the seat to work, all that it needed was some WD40, thankfully It was driving me nuts knowing I spent good money on the seat, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

You figured it out before I could post. I was going to tell you I need to lube my seat latch and bar about once every year or two or it won't close. I use a spray on lube that dries into a hard slippery finish. It lasts the longest.
buddys_n_blasters

Buddy 50

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Buddy Seat will not latch. Reply with quote

Crazy88s wrote:
I just got a solo seat for my 06 buddy 125, I put it on and I can't get it to latch. I do not want to force it because I do not want the latch to get stuck, any way any Ideas?

I had a similar problem. In my case it turned out that a previous owner had greased the latch cable. The grease was too heavy, so the cable friction was way too high. The tiny actuating spring wasn't strong enough to pull the mechanism back into its resting position, so it remained open at all times (hence no latching)

The fix: I cut off about a half of the semicircular hook on each end of the spring off and bent the remaining bit into a new hook, effectively shortening and tightening the spring. Haven't had issues since.

Good pictures of the latch mechanism here, although not from the fix I just described: http://gearsandsuch.blogspot.com/2017/05/genuine-buddy-125-maintnance-notes-part_16.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: