Buddy runs for ~5 mins, cuts out - Autochoke/Enricher/Bystar

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

buddys_n_blasters

Buddy runs for ~5 mins, cuts out - Autochoke/Enricher/Bystar

Post by buddys_n_blasters »

Wanted to post this to get some input. Not sure if the right fix but it definitely worked.

Recently bought a Buddy 50 on the cheap because the owner thought it had carburetor issues. The bike would start easily, rev all the way up and down, and could even be ridden for about 5 minutes, after which it would slowly bog out.

Turns out the bike was tuned for summer riding and I was trying to ride it in 20 degree winter days. The autochoke/enricher/bystarter was dumping in fuel upon startup and giving me a good, rich mixture. After about 5 minutes the autochoke would close up, so the mixture leaned out and the bike died.

The fix: I played with the air/fuel mixture screw on the carb and brought it from 1.5 turns out to only 3/4 turn. Fixed the problem completely. The bike now revs, rides, and idles great :) I'll move the screw back to 1.5 once the warm weather comes back.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Sometimes you will see that symptom with a partially or completely clogged idle jet as well. Good job of troubleshooting.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Nice job!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

The Buddy 50's came with a air/fuel screw? My 2009 didnt have one. Anyways, I would still consider cleaning out the carb and jets. Good job getting it running.
tenders

Post by tenders »

My 09 Buddy 50 definitely has the adjustment. It’s a screw with a D-shaped head that requires a special bit to turn. And it has a red benchmark inked on it to show it was adjusted at the factory.
buddys_n_blasters

sc00ter wrote:The Buddy 50's came with a air/fuel screw? My 2009 didnt have one. Anyways, I would still consider cleaning out the carb and jets. Good job getting it running.
Mine is a 2008...I'm pretty sure what I moved was the air screw. It wasn't D-Shaped though. I've never heard of a carburetor without one to be honest, but I am new to this.
tenders

Post by tenders »

The other adjustment on the carb is the idle speed screw, which on my ‘09 has a plastic thumbwheel on it for easy manipulation without tools. Not sure if this would have solved your issue, or if that was what you actually adjusted, but you can’t do much damage messing with it.

You CAN potentially tweak the air/fuel mixture ratio screw to make it too lean, which can over time and hard running, burn a hole in the piston. This is further complicated by the fact that in some carbs, that screw controls air flow, while in other carbs, that screw controls fuel flow. As a result, “righty/tighty, lefty/loosey� can mean completely opposite things with respect to the mixture. That’s probably why many are made with a weird head, to be more difficult to adjust, and marked as set at the factory. Some carbs have caps over this screw to further discourage user wrangling.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Crazy air/fuel screws. On 2 stroke Zuma's they have a welch (spell that right?) plug over the air/fuel screw, and we just remove them. My 09 Buddy didnt even have that. Nothing, nada. Was told to get a RoughHouse carb for the Buddy 50. It idles "good enough" now that the carb has been sonic cleaned. Still a great quality little 50cc.
buddys_n_blasters

tenders wrote:The other adjustment on the carb is the idle speed screw, which on my ‘09 has a plastic thumbwheel on it for easy manipulation without tools. Not sure if this would have solved your issue, or if that was what you actually adjusted, but you can’t do much damage messing with it.

You CAN potentially tweak the air/fuel mixture ratio screw to make it too lean, which can over time and hard running, burn a hole in the piston. This is further complicated by the fact that in some carbs, that screw controls air flow, while in other carbs, that screw controls fuel flow. As a result, “righty/tighty, lefty/loosey� can mean completely opposite things with respect to the mixture. That’s probably why many are made with a weird head, to be more difficult to adjust, and marked as set at the factory. Some carbs have caps over this screw to further discourage user wrangling.

My Buddy also has the plastic thumb screw for idle, so I know I wasn't messing with the idle then. That really only leaves the air screw to be the one I played with.

I hear you on the air screw vs. fuel screw thing, it's confusing. I usually just screw it all the way in one direction and let it run for a second. If it smokes like crazy I know that's a rich condition and it must be an air screw. You can also just look and see what that screw does if you have your carb off the bike.