Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tail light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
Woundedknee

Buddy 125

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject: Tail light Reply with quote

Hello all, bought a used 08 125 buddy scooter. Can someone please tell me if there is a rear tail light ? Or is the back red display supposed to be dark until the brake is applied? The big red light on the back of my scooter is bright all the time. Can anyone please explain this to me.? Thanks for your time
babblefish

2006 Blur 180, 2008 Buddy St. Tropez

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Buddy has a tail light. The filament for it in the bulb might be bad requiring replacement of the bulb. Also, the brake light should not be on all the time, just when the brakes are applied (obviously). The brake light switch on either the front or rear brake lever may be defective and is stuck "on".
tenders

Buddy International 50 Italia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ‘09 50cc came stock with what I consider a very nice LED tail light and brake light assembly, but I’m not sure if the ‘08 model year had that too. If I recall correctly from my Vespa, a non-LED incandescent combo tail light/brake bulb is specified as a “21/5” - meaning 21 watts when the brakes are applied and 5 watts the rest of the time as a tail light. The Vespa and many other vehicles use an 1157 style base for that bulb, and they’re cheap, but that may not be relevant to the ‘08 Buddy.

My guess is the ‘08 came with incandescent bulbs and yours is burned out.

It is super easy to take off the back panel to get to those lights to see what’s going in - just a screw or two and then a twist to release the bulb holder.

Concur with Babblefish: if you start the scooter up and don’t see an obvious red tail light, or a bright light that appears only when the brake is applied, the tail light filament is burnt out or disconnected. If the bright light doesn’t change when either brake is applied, one of the two brake switches operated by the handlebar brake levers is stuck. Try freeing it with a spritz or two of WD-40; this may require removal of the panels around the handlebars (a few Phillips screws from below).
Woundedknee

Buddy 125

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject: Many thanks Reply with quote

I appreciate your help and suggestions!
Woundedknee

Buddy 125

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Update on my tail light and brake lights Reply with quote

Thanks to Babblefish and Tenders I was able to figure out the problem. Turns out that the plunger on the rear brake switch was actually bent. The new switch was only about five dollars and it took about a half hour to replace it. Once again many thanks for your help and advice 😄
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

2 - many

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I love cheap fixes!

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: