Buddy purchase

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

fried okra

Buddy purchase

Post by fried okra »

I'm thinking about getting a Buddy.

Does the 125 with a carburetor have a problem with carb pilot jets getting clogged?

I suspect the overall drivability of the 170i with fuel injection is better than the carbed engine 125? Such as no slow warm up period, ease of starting, and general smoother running with the 170i.

Any idea if the Buddy 125 is gonna get fuel injection any time soon?

fried okra
skipper20

Re: Buddy purchase

Post by skipper20 »

fried okra wrote:I'm thinking about getting a Buddy.

Does the 125 with a carburetor have a problem with carb pilot jets getting clogged?

I suspect the overall drivability of the 170i with fuel injection is better than the carbed engine 125? Such as no slow warm up period, ease of starting, and general smoother running with the 170i.

Any idea if the Buddy 125 is gonna get fuel injection any time soon?

fried okra
In my lifetime, I've had both carbed Buddies and EFI Buddies. I always liked the reliability of EFI but their big disadvantage is no kick start. If you're a long way from home and your scooter's battery decides to head south, it's not a happy situation. Choose accordingly. And, to answer your question, no, I don't see Genuine changing over to EFI for the venerable Buddy 125. They've basically already done that with the Kick.

Bill in Seattle
Member Emeritus
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

If you use the scooter on a regular basis the 125 is as reliable as the 170i(if not more reliable.) I put ~40k on my first Buddy 125 without ever having to clean the carb. I don't warm it up before riding unless it is below 50 degrees out, and when I do warm it up it is only for the amount of time it takes to put on my helmet and gloves.

I also don't think the Buddy 125 will get EFI. If it did the price would probably be raised to $3000+ and at that price most people would just get the 170i.

I would be more interested in a Buddy 170 with a carb, more power than the 125 and cheaper than the 170i. Actually what I really want is a 200-225cc Buddy with NCY suspension front and rear, a bigger front brake rotor, and front wheel ABS...
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

The Buddy 125 has basically a bulletproof engine if properly cared for. Folks have posted threads about Buddy 125's with 10's of thousands of miles on the scooters with no real issues. The 170's are nice since they have EFI and its associated benefits. However, the 170's are not "50cc's" faster in performance than a 125 and are harder and more expensive to work on if something goes wrong. Additionally, the 125's are about $700 cheaper new versus the 170 and can easily be found in great condition with low miles for $1200-1500 where I live. They can be found even cheaper if you have some mechanical skills since they are very easy to resurrect if they don't run. Many of the members on this site state that the Buddy 125 is the best "bang for the buck" scooter around.

My advice would be to go with the 125 as a starter bike, buying a good quality used one, then trade up if you like the Buddy experience. And as stated, if you want a Buddy 125 with EFI, you basically have to go with the Buddy Kick 125 which puts it around $500+ more expensive than a regular Buddy 125.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

i went through a similar process when i was in the market for a scooter and ended up with a buddy 125...

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

off their website...
170i 243lbs 55+mph
125 220lbs 50+mph

not on website...
~11.2 HP @ 7000 RPM (170)
~9.5 HP @ 7750 RPM (125)
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I've had 2 Buddy 125's and am seriously considering a 3rd. First was new. sold it at just under 40,000 and bought a used one for my wife. We sold it at 10,000 miles and kinda regret it. No space at the time and she "upgraded" to a Honda Silverwing. Now my Suzuki is past its sell by date and Im downsizing and another Buddy 125 is on my radar again. Great quality with bulletproof motors.
fried okra

Buddy purchase

Post by fried okra »

This is great input group, thanks.

I've been riding a big Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie for about 10 years but looking for something now that is lighter to more easily load in back of my pickup truck.

My use of a Buddy would be in residential area of Charleston, SC and in southwest Florida community. Basically all flat terrain. I weigh about 180#.

The next question, what does the Buddy 125 offer over the Buddy 50 in terms of reliability and general performance up to about 45 mph?

fried okra
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

scootERIK wrote:I would be more interested in a Buddy 170 with a carb, more power than the 125 and cheaper than the 170i. Actually what I really want is a 200-225cc Buddy with NCY suspension front and rear, a bigger front brake rotor, and front wheel ABS...
This would be the dream scooter for me at the moment. Or, if they did a 200-225cc version of the Hooligan, I would probably buy one in a heart beat.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Thats the same choice I have to make. Both the Buddy 125 and the RH50/Buddy 50 are bullet proof. I can get by with a moped (50cc) but I have a M endorsement so I can get the 125 without any further hassle. I still put insurance on my Zuma 50, and insurance is not much for a Buddy 125. Did you test ride the Buddy 125? You will be shocked at how quick and nimble it is. Then again, I loved the pink Buddy 50 that I had for awhile. Im leaning towards the 125 just because it keeps up with most traffic safely, and I have no urge to mod a 50cc anymore-that ALWAYS seems to happen with a 50cc! Both are reliable, quality built options though.
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

I test rode the well used Buddy 125 in the parking lot of the local Charleston, SC dealer. It felt peppier than I expected. The idle speed seemed quite high, maybe 1800-2000 rpm. Does that sound normal?

I guess the 4 stroke Buddy 125 is a little bit quicker up to about 45 mph than the 2 stroke Buddy 50?

fried okra
Point37

Post by Point37 »

fried okra wrote:I test rode the well used Buddy 125 in the parking lot of the local Charleston, SC dealer. It felt peppier than I expected. The idle speed seemed quite high, maybe 1800-2000 rpm. Does that sound normal?

I guess the 4 stroke Buddy 125 is a little bit quicker up to about 45 mph than the 2 stroke Buddy 50?

fried okra
i agree with what sc00ter said...buy the 125 if you can...even low mileage used...better to be able to keep up with traffic than be a traffic hazard...safer that way

anyone rode a 2 stroke buddy vs a pre 2012 2 stroke zuma (i think they switched to 4 stroke in 2012)

http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Yamaha ... maBWS.html

these reviews helped me make my choice...
http://www.motorscooterguide.net/
http://www.justgottascoot.com/reviews.htm
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

fried okra wrote:I test rode the well used Buddy 125 in the parking lot of the local Charleston, SC dealer. It felt peppier than I expected. The idle speed seemed quite high, maybe 1800-2000 rpm. Does that sound normal?

fried okra
The Buddy 50/Roughhouse 50 are great bikes and are some of the quickest 50cc scooters out there, getting up to around 30-35 MPH in a relatively short amount of time and distance. However, even though you can probably get them up to 42-45 MPH top speed (with an derestricted exhaust and variator), it takes a while to get there from 30+ MPH. Also, they tend to bog down on any extended incline where the 125 will be able to sustain 55-60 MPH and generally takes inclines in stride. The Buddy 125 is much better at keeping up with traffic and should therefore be a safer bike since you can better control your position relative to the cagers around you vice being reactive to their positions on the 50cc scooters. Don't get me wrong, I love my Black Cat 50 (the RH 50 evolved from this scoot) and it is just as fun to ride (in a different way) but the Buddy 125 is much more practical to ride.

Now, when Genuine finally comes to its senses and issues a Roughhouse 125, all bets are off.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I already own a 50cc, and my friend lectured me for considering another one. But yes, a Rough House 125 would be great! I like the seating and stance of the RH50 so much, and it reminds me of a bug-eye 2 stroke Zuma. But Im still leaning towards a Buddy 125 (again).
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Thanks group, good input.

I can't find any used ones to evaluate and the new dealer stock is not testable.

Is there much difference in smooth running, warm up time, etc between the fuel injected Buddy 170i and the carbed Buddy 125?

fried okra
Argee

170i is easy to start and gets great mpg

Post by Argee »

My 170i is the first EFI bike I ever owned, after 40-some years of you-name-it (Honda, CZ, Honda, Hodaka, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tomos, Bultaco, Triumph, Ossa, Penton, Vespa, and a Benelli). I really like how it starts right up at any temp, and gets over 80 mpg, way better than any carbureted bike I have owned. There's an old joke that "carburetor" translates to "leave it alone." With EFI, you really can.

That said, there are many things I don't like about the Buddy, most of which boil down to: it has to fit you. Make sure you try one for a good ten minute ride or so.

One other thing: I see a couple of 125 sized scooters on a 55MPH highway here, that can't keep up with traffic, because everyone is going 60. The 170i can keep up, pretty good.
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Good input Argee.

Yeah, I am down to 5 old Triumphs now but a Buddy would be so much easier to run down to pick a pizza or whatever. And my wife could drive it too instead of her old Honda Metropolitan :)

My driving on a scooter now would be only on roads up to 45 mph MAX and a Buddy seems much easier to load into my pickup than the Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie.

I need to find a couple used ones to check out I think.

fried okra
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

Come down to Hunting Island before the end of the month and you can take my 150 for a spin. Not a BIG difference between the 125 and the 150! It will give you an idea, at least, on speed, pick-up and capability of a carbed Buddy!?
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Many thanks, Dage'sVew on your offer!

Yes, I would love to take a ride down that way. You will be there thru February sounds like?

My big question is whether the Buddy 170i offers any benefits over the Buddy 125 in terms of no problems starting, general drivability after cold start and general reliability.

fried okra
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Only reasons Im picking a Buddy 125 over a 170i is: kick start on the 125 and I know I'll smack the oil cooler on something with the 170i. I ride 'em like a stole 'em. Both great options though. Dont forget the Buddy Kick with EFI.
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Makes me wonder why the Buddy 170i would need an oil cooler more than the Buddy 125.

They are the same basic engine architecture except for displacement? Same stroke just different bore size maybe?

fried okra
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

Yep, escaped the frigid icebox of Pa before the polar blast and staying south til mid-/March. H. I. is our favorite but also like your James Island! No experience with a 170i but with a good battery my Ms Gilly starts promptly no matter the weather. Warm up is generally quick and once throttle is laid on there's no stalling when under way. Reliability has been great for over 8 and a 1/2 years now with normal maintenance. Can't imagine the 125 is any different. The efi might have an edge if you do a lot of elevation changes but here in the Low Country I wouldn't think that'd be an issue. What it comes down to is: Which one makes your heart happy?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

cummingsjc wrote:…...they (Buddy 50/Roughhouse 50) tend to bog down on any extended incline where the 125 will be able to sustain 55-60 MPH and generally takes inclines in stride.
This is exactly right and one of the more noticeable differences between the 125 and one of the 50s. Of course, the 125 can't sustain 55-60 on a steep incline either, but it will do much better than a 50 in my experience.
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Good input, Dage'sVew.....thanks!

Hey, Dooglas, we had met up for scooter lunches a couple times when you were down in SW Florida Sanibel area a few years ago.

Not taking price into consideration, if you were buying now, would you get the Buddy 125 again or the Buddy 170i?

fried okra
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

fried okra wrote:Hey, Dooglas, we had met up for scooter lunches a couple times when you were down in SW Florida Sanibel area a few years ago.

Not taking price into consideration, if you were buying now, would you get the Buddy 125 again or the Buddy 170i?
Yes, I remember. Lunch on the Ft. Myers Bayfront. For years I kept a scooter down in S. Florida for winter riding, though I don't have it anymore :( .

About the 125. We still have a 125 that we bought new in 2007. It is my wife's primary ride. It still runs great and has never given us any trouble. That scooter is like the energizer bunny! 12 years and nothing beyond routine maintenance. Hard to see any reason to not do the same thing all over again. And then you add in the price. :wink:
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

fried okra wrote:I'm thinking about getting a Buddy.

fried okra
Since your initial post, check out the number of other posts relating to tech problems involving fuel issues. How many involve Buddies with EFI and how many with carburetors? I hope the difference in numbers will tell you something.

Bill in Seattle
Member Emeritus
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Thanks, skipperBill.

I have been reviewing current and previous posts from past years. Looks like both the Buddy 125 and Buddy 170i have been pretty trouble free. It may come down to the color that suits me best :)

Actually, the newer Buddy Kick may be an option too. I haven't been able to measure one yet though. I'm guessing it may be a little bit longer and not fit in my short bed Nissan pickup quite as easily.

Also the new engine in the Kick series does not as much field experience as the 125/170i engine looks like.

fried okra
tenders

Post by tenders »

skipper20 wrote: Since your initial post, check out the number of other posts relating to tech problems involving fuel issues. How many involve Buddies with EFI and how many with carburetors? I hope the difference in numbers will tell you something.

Bill in Seattle
Member Emeritus
Well...there are a lot more carbureted Buddies out there, and they’re older to begin with, so that’s not entirely a fair comparison. Another question should be, are the issues that come up with older, carbureted engines more complicated to fix than the lower price suggests? One of the intangible benefits of the carb is that with a modestly handy owner, it can be quickly, easily, and inexpensively disassembled, cleaned, and even replaced if it gets borked up. I think the carbureted discount is a good deal. Plus, you can almost eliminate problems if you use fuel stabilizer religiously and drain the tank if the scooter is going to sit a while. (Good advice for EFI engines, too.).

I’m not arguing against EFI but I own seven small carbureted engines and I like them - two scooters, an inboard sailboat engine, a power washer, a snow thrower, and two portable generators. They are understandable, up to a point, and beyond that point they are replaceable.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I can fit a Buddy in the bed of my 2005 Subaru Baja. Corner to corner. Easy to load and unload with the long folding Cycle Gear ramp.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

sc00ter wrote:I can fit a Buddy in the bed of my 2005 Subaru Baja. Corner to corner. Easy to load and unload with the long folding Cycle Gear ramp.
off topic but i wish they still made the baja...i want something like this so bad...good gas mileage with a bed on the back...but this is on the way...but i would still rather have something more like a car than a truck

https://newbesttrucks.com/subaru/2019-s ... kup-truck/
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

scootERIK wrote: I would be more interested in a Buddy 170 with a carb, more power than the 125 and cheaper than the 170i. Actually what I really want is a 200-225cc Buddy with NCY suspension front and rear, a bigger front brake rotor, and front wheel ABS...
I would rather kit a 125 to 161. Easy reasonably priced mod with jets (I went with bigger carb and air box mod) and a pipe and it rips.

As stated earlier, Buddy 125 motors are as reliable as you can get. I'm still running my 06 161.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Syd

Post by Syd »

Point37 wrote:
sc00ter wrote:I can fit a Buddy in the bed of my 2005 Subaru Baja. Corner to corner. Easy to load and unload with the long folding Cycle Gear ramp.
off topic but i wish they still made the baja...i want something like this so bad...good gas mileage with a bed on the back...but this is on the way...but i would still rather have something more like a car than a truck

https://newbesttrucks.com/subaru/2019-s ... kup-truck/
:shock: Wha?!?!?! I was waiting for the Ford Ranger to return, but a Subaru Pickup? I hope it makes it to the US.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
issue31

No kickstart

Post by issue31 »

I solved the no kickstart by getting small jump start unite from Harber fright. Does not take up much space and I charge the thing once every 3 or four months. Will even start cars and trucks. :D
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Decision made.....thanks for input group.

Got a new white Buddy 125 on order thru Scooter Stop here in Charleston, SC.
They've been very good to work with.

fried okra
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Congrats! Break it in right, get the first service done, and it will get better and better to about 1,000 miles.

Of course photos are required!
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Yep, will give it short runs, and after a little warmup, start giving it some stick to seat the rings :)

What accessory items are recommended for the Buddy's?

fried okra
Syd

Post by Syd »

Good choice. White is the fastest color!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

The local dealer didn't have any new Buddy 125's in stock, and not all colors readily available to ship soon, but white was available.

Plus I like white since it doesn't fade and is the easiest to touch up if it ever gets a scuff or anything. So, white it is.

fried okra
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Syd wrote: :shock: Wha?!?!?! I was waiting for the Ford Ranger to return, but a Subaru Pickup? I hope it makes it to the US.
all the new trucks are on that site...but like you said...it's all about what makes it to the US...myself i want to see more crossover types like the baja...4 door car body with a bed in the back...i like the toyota hilux but i'm not sure that will make it here...
https://newbesttrucks.com/ford/2019-ford-ranger-raptor/

something like this not made by vw would be ideal for what i'm looking for...but it would have to have rear doors as well...
https://newbesttrucks.com/vw/volkswagen-saveiro/
tenders

Post by tenders »

fried okra wrote:What accessory items are recommended for the Buddy's?

fried okra
I happen to like the medium Prima windscreen and the back “wicker� lined basket.

http://www.genuinescooters.com/accessories.html

https://www.scooterwest.com/vintage-ves ... 35-wk.html

The Prima front metal mesh basket dents easily and is basically kid’s-bike quality; I took the one off that the PO installed. Genuine doesn’t show it on their website for a reason.

A front wicker basket is also available but to my eye it unpleasantly dominates the scooter’s feng shui. I guess I don’t care for front rack clutter.

I’ve added a brake light flasher module and energized (and upgraded to bright LEDs) the sidelights - perhaps your new 125 already has this.

I’m in the process of testing off-the-shelf TPMS Bluetooth modules mounted inside the tires of my Buddy and Vespa - initial indications are promising although the tire installation process around the modules exceeds my amateur abilities. And angled valve stems require an extra part that is hard to find. The external TPMS devices that screw onto the valve stem are downright dangerous.
Last edited by tenders on Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I would say ride it for a bit and get a feel for it. If you need a rear rack an / or top box get one.

A midsized windscreen as suggested above will get you a little more top end but I would wait until it's broken in. Then again they are pretty cheap.

I would forgo the front rack to start. Some people have changed their minds and then need to cover the knockouts.
www.teamscootertrash.com

Point37

Post by Point37 »

BuddyRaton wrote:I would say ride it for a bit and get a feel for it. If you need a rear rack an / or top box get one.

A midsized windscreen as suggested above will get you a little more top end but I would wait until it's broken in. Then again they are pretty cheap.

I would forgo the front rack to start. Some people have changed their minds and then need to cover the knockouts.
^^^this...ride then decide...probably want a good security lock/cable...if your helmet fits under the seat good...if not you may want the rear rack and top box just to lock up your helmet...i bought my buddy used and it had a prima rear rack as well as prima cowl protectors and a top box...i like having the cowl protectors just for moving it around in the garage...the rear rack is nice but i haven't used it a ton...i pulled the top box right when i got it cause i liked the versatility of the rack for odd size items...

i want to figure out a tool-less quick detach system for a plastic milk crate to the rear rack without having to cut zip ties all the time...i'm thinking of picking up a couple cheap plastic cutting boards and cutting them...1 will fit in the milk crate base...the other will fit under the rear rack to sandwich it...then run some bolts through the top to the bottom and just use trailer hitch pins through a drilled hole in the bolts...the only thing i worry about is slop cause i don't want it to rattle around back there...maybe i will need a sheet of rubber in there somewhere
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Using a plastic cutting board as a base sounds like a good idea.

I guess you would need the Buddy optional rack to attach the cutting board to maybe?

fried okra
tenders

Post by tenders »

The easiest way to attach a milk crate to a rear rack is with a foot and a half of shock cord (bungee cord) and some well-placed knots (half hitches, to be specific).

If you want to be very clever, loop the shock cord tightly around the base of the crate and the rack, and use a brass snap shackle at the end of the shock cord to secure it to the crate. You can then take it off in seconds, and as the shock cord reaches the end of its useful life, it becomes less elastic and gives plenty of warning by getting loose, not by breaking.

If you are thoughtful about the knots it will look better than a cutting board/wood with bolts.