Need some help/info on replacement OEM carb

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mjkuhno

Need some help/info on replacement OEM carb

Post by mjkuhno »

Hi All,

Having an issue with a Buddy 125 we've had for a few years. After fighting with the carb on the scooter for a few seasons I finally threw in the towel and just bought a new OEM unit. Curiously, when I look at the new carb there's an additional tube which isn't on the carb currently in the scooter.

If you check the attached photo you'll see a tube right above and to the right of the fuel drain screw. There's a barb on it that seems to indicate a hose might be attached, but on the other carb there's no such thing.

Can someone tell me what this is for and where it should attach (if it does)? I'm hoping it's just a vent tube - but not sure and it doesn't seem to be indicated in any of the diagrams I've been able to find.

Thanks much!
Attachments
NewBuddyCarb.jpg
NewBuddyCarb.jpg (82.64 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

My 125 doesn't have that tube, either.
Install the new carb, attach a foot or so of vacuum hose to that fitting.
With the engine running, see if that hose is drawing any vacuum by lightly placing your finger over the end.
-If not, its probably a drain tube, as you assumed.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I'm guessing it's to drain excess fuel from the float bowl in case it overflows due to say a stuck needle valve. Better that than to dump excess fuel into the engine.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
mjkuhno

Post by mjkuhno »

Thanks Wheelbender6 and Babblefish. I'll do a vacuum test on the tube and see what we've got.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I think babble hit it
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

It could also very easily be something to do with emissions. When you run the bike, does it pull a vacuum through that port? If so, you can probably just plug/cap it.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

what these guys said...either something to do with emissions or a bowl overflow...i'm guessing its an overflow since it looks like it ties into a high spot in the bowl...i would swap that bowl out for the oem carb bowl if possible
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
mjkuhno

Post by mjkuhno »

I contacted Classic Scooters, the shop I purchased the part from, and was told the following:

"That extra port on the 2014 and up carburetor is a vacuum port which goes to the updated Emissions system, found on all 2014+ buddies. In order to run this carburetor on an older model buddy 125, all that you’ll need to do is plug that port. Either with a rubber vent cap or with a short length of vacuum line that has been crimped/folded closed."

I'm going to seal it and see how things go.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I wasn't aware of the 2014 change. Thanks for tracking it down.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Point37

Post by Point37 »

mjkuhno wrote:I contacted Classic Scooters, the shop I purchased the part from, and was told the following:

"That extra port on the 2014 and up carburetor is a vacuum port which goes to the updated Emissions system, found on all 2014+ buddies. In order to run this carburetor on an older model buddy 125, all that you’ll need to do is plug that port. Either with a rubber vent cap or with a short length of vacuum line that has been crimped/folded closed."

I'm going to seal it and see how things go.
makes sense...not sure i've ever seen an overflow on a carb bowl now that i think of it...the VOCs from the gas escaping wouldn't be the best to keep it from degrading not to mention the smell...like was said i'd put a rubber plug in it from the outside and then a short section of hose folded back onto itself on the metal tube and hose clamp it so none of that moves

https://www.amazon.com/High-Temp-Silico ... +line+plug
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
dtpoirot

sourcing a proper size carb?

Post by dtpoirot »

Hello!

Where did you find a carb to fit? I have a number of Chinese GY6 clone scooters and a Buddy 125. I am very pleased with the fit and finish and the choice of materials on the Genuine bike. Far superior to the TaoTao and Jonway. ...on par with the Kymco.

...anyway, the clone GY6 scooters that use the PD24 clone carbs are an easy fix. New $20 carb and you are good to go!

...the Buddy has a carb which is SHORTER from inlet to outlet, so the factory tubes and cable don't fit!

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
- dan