How to derestrict Buddy 50

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jekone

How to derestrict Buddy 50

Post by jekone »

So I saw a few posts about this, but nothing definitive. I just got a buddy 50 and want to derestrict it. I'm mechanically inclined, but for the life of me I can't find a tutorial that's buddy specific. Can someone please post a tutorial? Thanks!
BGK

Post by BGK »

http://www.provoscooter.com/shop/howto.php

click on the links of exhaust and variator derestricting/deregulating. It's the same process on the buddy.
afriendofcheese

Post by afriendofcheese »

I thought all/most dealers do it for you for free?
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

IIRC, remove washer from variator and remove choker from exhaust.
jekone

Post by jekone »

Thanks for all the input! I checked out that web site that was linked above.
There was no washer (governer) passed the variator- I can't imagine its been removed- cuz I can only do 35 on my buddy and the previous owner never had it removed. THERE IS a washer but it's behind the back portion of the variator in front of the large crank. I wonder if anyone has the schematics- or repair manual for the buddy 50- that would be very handy right now.
Attachments
Figure9LRG.jpg
Figure9LRG.jpg (62.95 KiB) Viewed 2766 times
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

jekone, there's one here: http://modernbuddy.com/pdf/buddy50_service_manual.pdf I'm not sure what year it's for, but hopefully not too much has changed.
ModBud #442
BGK

Post by BGK »

jekone wrote:Thanks for all the input! I checked out that web site that was linked above.
There was no washer (governer) passed the variator- I can't imagine its been removed- cuz I can only do 35 on my buddy and the previous owner never had it removed. THERE IS a washer but it's behind the back portion of the variator in front of the large crank. I wonder if anyone has the schematics- or repair manual for the buddy 50- that would be very handy right now.
Do not remove that washer behind the variator. It's supposed to be there. If that variator restriction is there you'll be limited to about 28-30 mph. The top speed should be about 42 mph. There still could be the exhaust restriction cone. Weight can be a big factor. If you are well over 250 lbs I'd imagine about 35 could be about right. But check the exhaust. I think there's a link on that page that describes that as well. The Vino was restricted in the same way.
jeffarazzi

Post by jeffarazzi »

This was an easier mod than the instructions on that site made it out to be. (I just bought a new 2009 Buddy 50 Italia last week). The best way to describe this washer is that it looks more like a men's wedding band than a washer. It's not flat, but 1/8" of an inch thick. It might be better to refer to it as a spacer.

Yesterday, I removed the funnel from the exhaust (which was stuck to the bottom of the engine block and popped right off. No dremel or removing it "caveman style" was needed) This evening decided to tackle removing the washer.

It did seem that removing the exhaust funnel increased my top speed about 7 BMPH, the washer seemed like it only added 3 BMPH, but now the Buddy doesn't hold back going down large hills. I tried coasting down a very large/steep hill (about a mile down), the Buddy got up to 57 before I decided that it was time to hit the brakes.

After both of these mods, on my test run on a relatively flat street resulted in the spedo eventually reading 51 BMPH, so I would guess that I was around 45 MPH. I only weigh 170 lbs and was getting about 40 BMPH before these two mods.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

viewtopic.php?t=11300&highlight=dealer+video

Eric posted this just a few weeks ago. It is the dealer prep video, and includes how to de-restrict the 50's and it is ridiculously easy.
SCOOT3R

Post by SCOOT3R »

wow unbelievable! the dealer never told me about derestrict 50cc scooters only before purchased buddy 50. I dont know that dealer can derestrict 50cc scooter at shop. I will take my scooter back to dealership store for derestrict. this is help me more understanding and increase my knowledge! :wink:
Thaal

Post by Thaal »

bluebuddygirl wrote:viewtopic.php?t=11300&highlight=dealer+video

Eric posted this just a few weeks ago. It is the dealer prep video, and includes how to de-restrict the 50's and it is ridiculously easy.
Hello! Where could I get a "standard gasket" as the video instructs to replace the restricting one in the exhaust?

TIA!
Thadsgood

Post by Thadsgood »

Thaal, the gasket in the exhaust is already there, even after you take out the restrictor. If you want a new one you can get one at the dealer.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Don't forget your impact wrench.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
buddys_n_blasters

Post by buddys_n_blasters »

Thadsgood wrote:Thaal, the gasket in the exhaust is already there, even after you take out the restrictor. If you want a new one you can get one at the dealer.
What do you mean it's already in there? In the video it wasn't.

Would it be bad to run it without any gasket?

Edit: found the standard gasket here: https://www.scooterdynasty.com/gasketex ... ddyrh.aspx
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Holy necro batman!