Spotlight conversion and wiring

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

slotrod65

Spotlight conversion and wiring

Post by slotrod65 »

Hey gang,

So, I mounted vintage Notek and Lucas spotlights on my Stella last year, but did not wire them since each of the original vintage bulbs is a whopping 48 watts, and that would kill my battery in no time. Instead, I the plan is to convert the lights to low wattage LED bulbs. I am not using these as headlights, or even really as spotlights. The intent is to simply have more visibility at night when a cager is looking at me.

Last edited by slotrod65 on Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

I finally got around to picking up a pair of H3 LED bulbs. I chose H3s because they have a mounting skirt, and the vintage bulbs have a skirt as well. Here is a photo of the original bulb mounting setup for the outer pair of Lucas spots: The skirt on the bulb is held in place by a spring clip.

Last edited by slotrod65 on Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Here is the H3 LED bulb next to the original 48 watt bulb. Note the skirt.

It appears I was too smart for my own good: The skirt in the H3 bulb is too small for the mount on the spotlight.

slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

It was brainstorming time. I knew I would never find a washer the correct size to fit the light and the bulb, so I decided to make one. Then I realized I did not need a washer, but simply a spacer with a slot cut in it. I drink espresso and have a dozen empty Illy brand coffee cans lying around. The steel they are made of is smooth, and shiny, and I could not bear to just recycle them. I am glad I did not as a few cuts with the tin snips provided me with a strip of thin, springy steel and allowed me to cut out just what I needed. After several tries I settled on two spacers: One in front of the bulb skirt, and the other behind. The original spring clip holds it all together:

A gentle bend in the mounting spacers keeps everything tight, and the bulb does not move.

slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Although everything looked good, there was no way to know until everything was assembled, and I cold test the results with a 9 volt battery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZgZ4stWMys
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Next up: wiring into the Stella's harness, including a switch to turn them on and off.
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

slotrod65 wrote:Although everything looked good, there was no way to know until everything was assembled, and I cold test the results with a 9 volt battery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZgZ4stWMys
Video marked private!
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

That's odd... it says Public. One more time:

https://youtu.be/SZgZ4stWMys
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Yesterday I removed the horncast, and ran wires into the glovebox. A piece of coat hanger wire came in handy yet again in assisting fishing the wired through the holes.

1: In the horn slot:

2: through the legshield and into the glovebox via the same holes used for the turn signal harness.

While I was in there, I spliced into the hot lead on the horn, and ran that wire into the glovebox as well. The red is the hot lead.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

OK, so this morning I finally screwed up the courage to install the toggle switches. Why all the angst? Because I would have to drill holes in the glove box to mount them. Some masking tape allowed me to sketch right on the glovebox, and plan where I wanted to mount them.

Then it was time to drill. I used a center punch so the drill bit would not wander, and drilled 1/8" pilot holes.

So far, so good...
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Now it was time for the main event: Drilling the 9/16" mounting holes with the big bit. I drilled in short bursts so as not to heat up the drill, and to reduce burrs.

slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

The switches were an easy install after that:

So far, so good.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Next I created a parallel harness for the hot lead:

slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

And finally wired in the connections to the spots.

I am thinking that I will need to enclose the wiring in a project box to prevent shorts, but for now, I was very happy how it all worked out.

slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

And the moment of truth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC2uvU9V51Y

The stadium light in the center has a 102 LED bulb, while the Lucas lamps are only 28 LEDs. I plan on trying a pair of 68 LED and 102 LED in the Lucas lamps, but there maybe clearance issues as the LEDs are not the same size as the stock bulb.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Looks good!
i see 3 switches.. but on the video, i hear and see only 2 being switched and the results.
What's hooked to the 3rd one?
good job on switch install.
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Nothing at this time. I need to get another set of bulbs to convert the other pair of spots. Then I will wire those to the Center switch.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

OK, so I finally had time to convert the last two spots, I was worried these would be harder to convert, as the bulbs on the Notek lights are held in with three little screws. In fact. they were easier: a few notches added to the H3 bulb base with a triangle and mini round file and I was all set:

slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

I wried to the center switched just like the previous spots, and I am very pleased with the results. The LEDs do not project very much, but they shold be excellent running lights.

molly1260

switches

Post by molly1260 »

this has been a great help thanks
I am doing exactly the same but cant find any decent switches do you remember where you got yours and if they are local to you would they post