Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hooligan Upgrades?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
Author Message
Radixx
Member


Joined: 09 Mar 2019
Posts: 4
Location: Savannah, GA. USA
2019 Hooligan 170i

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Hooligan Upgrades? Reply with quote

So, I just bought a 2019 Hooligan 170i. I wanted a bigger bike that would be more reliable than my 2014 Aprilia SR50 Factory (scheduled to be rebuilt this summer). So far I love it, even though it's a 4-stroke. I'm not looking to kit it out or anything crazy like I've done with the Aprilia (that's a long list/story). I just wanted to see if anyone had any basic advice about getting the most of of this beast. I see that Scooterworks has a "performance" exhaust for it. I know that exhaust makes a huge difference on a torquey little 2-stroke, but is it going to make a noticeable difference on the Hooligan? Also, I know a CVT is always a good place to start with tweaking, but I would love any first hand advice anyone might have to save a lot of trial and error. Again, Scooterworks has a NCY complete tranny swap kit. I'm thinking that might be overkill (although I often refer to myself as Captain Overkill). I've also run across a Polini CVT that looks promising. I apologize if this stuff has been covered before, but I really did look around before posting this. Thanks in advance for any insights!

Edit: I'll post a pic once I've put the Asian/Euro light kit on it and gotten rid of those terrible antenna lights they have to put on it to sell it here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
babblefish
Member


Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 2841
Location: San Francisco
2006 Blur 180, 2008 Buddy St. Tropez

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother with the exhaust. PGO did a good job in designing their system so an aftermarket system will only add noise and not much else.

Being fuel injected, your options as far as engine upgrades are pretty limited. I've heard there is a programmable ECU available but I don't have any information on it.

The Hooligan engine is at it's core pretty much the same as any other GY6 type engine so you may be able to install a performance cam and possibly a higher compression piston. Having never worked on any of PGOs' FI engines, I'm not sure if the head has any additional ports/mounts for sensors and such as to make it different from a head intended for a carburettor. If they're the same then you can fit a big port/valve head. Chances are you'll still need to do some modifications related to the emissions system. If you go this route, first find out if the 170i is a type A or type B engine because the head stud spacing will be different between the two.

It might also be possible to fit a longer stroke crankshaft. This will increase the engines displacement and torque.

As far as the transmission is concerned, whatever you do to it will not increase engine power nor top speed. Any modifications you do will only affect durability and the engines torque curve in it's RPM range. In other words, power off the line or power near redline. For riding around in the city, I've found that tuning a transmission for racing use (high RPM) is pretty useless. I have light weight sliders and high RPM springs in the transmission of my Blur (highly modified engine) but will probably go back to stock because I'm getting pretty tired of my engine screaming all the time when riding around town. Oh sure, it's fun to smoke most motorcycles and cars from light to light, but it's pretty rough on the engines longevity. The crank in mine is done.

If you're looking for more top speed, the only way to get it is to either increase the engines useable RPM range (I'm pretty sure the FI engines have a rev limiter built into the ECU) or change the gear ratio in the gearbox.

Good luck with any mods you make and keep us updated as to what you do. I was going to buy a Hooligan but decided to save for another motorcycle instead since I already have two scooters.

_________________
I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
skully93
Member


Joined: 31 Dec 2011
Posts: 2587
Location: Denver CO
currently 09 Buddy Italia, Honda CTX700DCT

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgrades are a 2nd, faster bike.

This happens to many of us Razz

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
skipper20
Member


Joined: 10 Dec 2012
Posts: 812
Location: Des Moines, WA
170i

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooligan Upgrades? Reply with quote

Radixx wrote:
So, I just bought a 2019 Hooligan 170i. I wanted a bigger bike that would be more reliable than my 2014 Aprilia SR50 Factory (scheduled to be rebuilt this summer). So far I love it, even though it's a 4-stroke. I'm not looking to kit it out or anything crazy like I've done with the Aprilia (that's a long list/story). I just wanted to see if anyone had any basic advice about getting the most of of this beast. I see that Scooterworks has a "performance" exhaust for it. I know that exhaust makes a huge difference on a torquey little 2-stroke, but is it going to make a noticeable difference on the Hooligan? Also, I know a CVT is always a good place to start with tweaking, but I would love any first hand advice anyone might have to save a lot of trial and error. Again, Scooterworks has a NCY complete tranny swap kit. I'm thinking that might be overkill (although I often refer to myself as Captain Overkill). I've also run across a Polini CVT that looks promising. I apologize if this stuff has been covered before, but I really did look around before posting this. Thanks in advance for any insights!

Edit: I'll post a pic once I've put the Asian/Euro light kit on it and gotten rid of those terrible antenna lights they have to put on it to sell it here.


Based on personal experience with a '16 Hooligan, my advice is to forget it and live with what you have. In spite of what you hear on this forum, any upgrade is a trade-off. You might gain a bit at one end but you'll lose at another. Your Hooli is a 60 mph scooter and a very good one at that. Be happy with it and save yourself some money. If this doesn't work for you, spend the money you would have spent on upgrades and get a bigger scooter.

Bill in Seattle
Member Emeritus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
fried okra
Member


Joined: 05 Dec 2018
Posts: 50
Location: Charleston
Scarabeo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or upgrades could be a second faster scooter too...........cheaper than a new Buddy 170i Smile

Since you like Aprilia's, I've got a couple of the Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie's I outta sell and am just up the road from you in the Charleson, SC area.

These big Aprilia's have 40 hp, will run 100 mph, and cruise at 70-80 on the interstate if you wanna. But I don't ride on interstates.

fried okra
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Radixx
Member


Joined: 09 Mar 2019
Posts: 4
Location: Savannah, GA. USA
2019 Hooligan 170i

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fried okra wrote:
Or upgrades could be a second faster scooter too...........cheaper than a new Buddy 170i Smile

Since you like Aprilia's, I've got a couple of the Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie's I outta sell and am just up the road from you in the Charleson, SC area.

These big Aprilia's have 40 hp, will run 100 mph, and cruise at 70-80 on the interstate if you wanna. But I don't ride on interstates.

fried okra



Don't tempt me with more bikes! I still need to get my SR50 back on the road first! ATGATT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Radixx
Member


Joined: 09 Mar 2019
Posts: 4
Location: Savannah, GA. USA
2019 Hooligan 170i

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Keep content! Reply with quote

So, you guys have convinced me to chill out ... at least for now. I'll limit myself to external upgrades, like that light kit.

Thanks for all the input!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
wheelbender6
Member


Joined: 07 Jul 2013
Posts: 591
Location: Houston area
Genuine Buddy 125

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savannah must be an awesome place for scooter riding. Even with the bumpy roads.
I'm afraid the Prima pipe will not help the performance of your ECU controlled engine much.
- BUT, It is a few pounds lighter than the stock pipe and the stainless finish is very corrosion resistant. If your stock exhaust gets very rusty from the coastal salt air, the Prima pipe will solve that. I put a Prima pipe on my wife's Buddy because her stock piping was very rusty.

_________________
"It's not WHAT you ride, but THAT you ride" - unknown
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Radixx
Member


Joined: 09 Mar 2019
Posts: 4
Location: Savannah, GA. USA
2019 Hooligan 170i

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheelbender6 wrote:
Savannah must be an awesome place for scooter riding. Even with the bumpy roads.
I'm afraid the Prima pipe will not help the performance of your ECU controlled engine much.
- BUT, It is a few pounds lighter than the stock pipe and the stainless finish is very corrosion resistant. If your stock exhaust gets very rusty from the coastal salt air, the Prima pipe will solve that. I put a Prima pipe on my wife's Buddy because her stock piping was very rusty.



Savannah is a perfect place for scooters, and there are more and more on the street every day! The rear suspension on the Hooligan is really nice on the bumpy streets too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Dooglas
Member


Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 4162
Location: Oregon City, OR
Buddy 125, GTS300, Typhoon 125

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience has been that performance upgrades to modern 4T scooters usually yield limited benefits, and they always come at some cost to engine reliability and longevity. I know some enjoy the adventure of performance upgrades anyway. If you start down that road, just understand where it usually leads.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

  Scootergear designed by riders for riders


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
All Content Copyright 2007-2011 by Modern Buddy. All Rights Reserved.