Hooligan Upgrades?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Radixx

Hooligan Upgrades?

Post by Radixx »

So, I just bought a 2019 Hooligan 170i. I wanted a bigger bike that would be more reliable than my 2014 Aprilia SR50 Factory (scheduled to be rebuilt this summer). So far I love it, even though it's a 4-stroke. I'm not looking to kit it out or anything crazy like I've done with the Aprilia (that's a long list/story). I just wanted to see if anyone had any basic advice about getting the most of of this beast. I see that Scooterworks has a "performance" exhaust for it. I know that exhaust makes a huge difference on a torquey little 2-stroke, but is it going to make a noticeable difference on the Hooligan? Also, I know a CVT is always a good place to start with tweaking, but I would love any first hand advice anyone might have to save a lot of trial and error. Again, Scooterworks has a NCY complete tranny swap kit. I'm thinking that might be overkill (although I often refer to myself as Captain Overkill). I've also run across a Polini CVT that looks promising. I apologize if this stuff has been covered before, but I really did look around before posting this. Thanks in advance for any insights!

Edit: I'll post a pic once I've put the Asian/Euro light kit on it and gotten rid of those terrible antenna lights they have to put on it to sell it here.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Don't bother with the exhaust. PGO did a good job in designing their system so an aftermarket system will only add noise and not much else.

Being fuel injected, your options as far as engine upgrades are pretty limited. I've heard there is a programmable ECU available but I don't have any information on it.

The Hooligan engine is at it's core pretty much the same as any other GY6 type engine so you may be able to install a performance cam and possibly a higher compression piston. Having never worked on any of PGOs' FI engines, I'm not sure if the head has any additional ports/mounts for sensors and such as to make it different from a head intended for a carburettor. If they're the same then you can fit a big port/valve head. Chances are you'll still need to do some modifications related to the emissions system. If you go this route, first find out if the 170i is a type A or type B engine because the head stud spacing will be different between the two.

It might also be possible to fit a longer stroke crankshaft. This will increase the engines displacement and torque.

As far as the transmission is concerned, whatever you do to it will not increase engine power nor top speed. Any modifications you do will only affect durability and the engines torque curve in it's RPM range. In other words, power off the line or power near redline. For riding around in the city, I've found that tuning a transmission for racing use (high RPM) is pretty useless. I have light weight sliders and high RPM springs in the transmission of my Blur (highly modified engine) but will probably go back to stock because I'm getting pretty tired of my engine screaming all the time when riding around town. Oh sure, it's fun to smoke most motorcycles and cars from light to light, but it's pretty rough on the engines longevity. The crank in mine is done.

If you're looking for more top speed, the only way to get it is to either increase the engines useable RPM range (I'm pretty sure the FI engines have a rev limiter built into the ECU) or change the gear ratio in the gearbox.

Good luck with any mods you make and keep us updated as to what you do. I was going to buy a Hooligan but decided to save for another motorcycle instead since I already have two scooters.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Upgrades are a 2nd, faster bike.

This happens to many of us :P
skipper20

Re: Hooligan Upgrades?

Post by skipper20 »

Radixx wrote:So, I just bought a 2019 Hooligan 170i. I wanted a bigger bike that would be more reliable than my 2014 Aprilia SR50 Factory (scheduled to be rebuilt this summer). So far I love it, even though it's a 4-stroke. I'm not looking to kit it out or anything crazy like I've done with the Aprilia (that's a long list/story). I just wanted to see if anyone had any basic advice about getting the most of of this beast. I see that Scooterworks has a "performance" exhaust for it. I know that exhaust makes a huge difference on a torquey little 2-stroke, but is it going to make a noticeable difference on the Hooligan? Also, I know a CVT is always a good place to start with tweaking, but I would love any first hand advice anyone might have to save a lot of trial and error. Again, Scooterworks has a NCY complete tranny swap kit. I'm thinking that might be overkill (although I often refer to myself as Captain Overkill). I've also run across a Polini CVT that looks promising. I apologize if this stuff has been covered before, but I really did look around before posting this. Thanks in advance for any insights!

Edit: I'll post a pic once I've put the Asian/Euro light kit on it and gotten rid of those terrible antenna lights they have to put on it to sell it here.
Based on personal experience with a '16 Hooligan, my advice is to forget it and live with what you have. In spite of what you hear on this forum, any upgrade is a trade-off. You might gain a bit at one end but you'll lose at another. Your Hooli is a 60 mph scooter and a very good one at that. Be happy with it and save yourself some money. If this doesn't work for you, spend the money you would have spent on upgrades and get a bigger scooter.

Bill in Seattle
Member Emeritus
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Or upgrades could be a second faster scooter too...........cheaper than a new Buddy 170i :)

Since you like Aprilia's, I've got a couple of the Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie's I outta sell and am just up the road from you in the Charleson, SC area.

These big Aprilia's have 40 hp, will run 100 mph, and cruise at 70-80 on the interstate if you wanna. But I don't ride on interstates.

fried okra
Radixx

Post by Radixx »

fried okra wrote:Or upgrades could be a second faster scooter too...........cheaper than a new Buddy 170i :)

Since you like Aprilia's, I've got a couple of the Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie's I outta sell and am just up the road from you in the Charleson, SC area.

These big Aprilia's have 40 hp, will run 100 mph, and cruise at 70-80 on the interstate if you wanna. But I don't ride on interstates.

fried okra

Don't tempt me with more bikes! I still need to get my SR50 back on the road first! :atgatt:
Radixx

Keep content!

Post by Radixx »

So, you guys have convinced me to chill out ... at least for now. I'll limit myself to external upgrades, like that light kit.

Thanks for all the input!
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Savannah must be an awesome place for scooter riding. Even with the bumpy roads.
I'm afraid the Prima pipe will not help the performance of your ECU controlled engine much.
- BUT, It is a few pounds lighter than the stock pipe and the stainless finish is very corrosion resistant. If your stock exhaust gets very rusty from the coastal salt air, the Prima pipe will solve that. I put a Prima pipe on my wife's Buddy because her stock piping was very rusty.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Radixx

Post by Radixx »

wheelbender6 wrote:Savannah must be an awesome place for scooter riding. Even with the bumpy roads.
I'm afraid the Prima pipe will not help the performance of your ECU controlled engine much.
- BUT, It is a few pounds lighter than the stock pipe and the stainless finish is very corrosion resistant. If your stock exhaust gets very rusty from the coastal salt air, the Prima pipe will solve that. I put a Prima pipe on my wife's Buddy because her stock piping was very rusty.

Savannah is a perfect place for scooters, and there are more and more on the street every day! The rear suspension on the Hooligan is really nice on the bumpy streets too.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

My experience has been that performance upgrades to modern 4T scooters usually yield limited benefits, and they always come at some cost to engine reliability and longevity. I know some enjoy the adventure of performance upgrades anyway. If you start down that road, just understand where it usually leads.