Crankcase oil in new Buddy's

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

fried okra

Crankcase oil in new Buddy's

Post by fried okra »

Anyone have any idea on what oil is in the crankcase of the 4 stroke Buddy's when they are shipped in the crate?

Or whether it is desirable to put in a new breakin oil on delivery?

fried okra
Point37

Re: Crankcase oil in new Buddy's

Post by Point37 »

fried okra wrote:Anyone have any idea on what oil is in the crankcase of the 4 stroke Buddy's when they are shipped in the crate?

Or whether it is desirable to put in a new breakin oil on delivery?

fried okra
no idea but as long as it has the appropriate amount i wouldn't change it right away...i would assume it's similar to buying a new lawnmower you'd want to run it a bit to shake loose any metal shavings and then change it out

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewto ... t=gear+oil
Last edited by Point37 on Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Supposedly they come with 10w40, but that initial oil fill is intended as the break in oil, to be changed out at the 500 mile inspection.
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

the shop I have purchased all my Genuine scoots from, BMA Cycles in Bainbridge, PA, chooses to dump factory oils from all incoming scoots (Taiwanese & Chinese) and replace with American 10w-40 conventional car oil (eg: castrol, mobil, pennzoil, quaker state, etc); in years past the factory scoot oil, especially Chinese scoots, had a fishy odor and made them question the source & quality...since then they change the oil right after uncrating & assembly; not sure what they do with the factory scoot oil (they use a bunch of old resurrected outdoor power equipment for groundskeeping & it might get used in that stuff and changed frequently)-_
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Whatever you do, don't put full synthetic oil in the crankcase of a new scooter. Break-in the engine with a good dino oil first otherwise the piston rings and cam bearings may not wear-in correctly. And no need to buy expensive motorcycle oil (our engines don't have a wet clutch or transmissions with synchros and shift dogs), just use regular automotive oil.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Yep, will probably wait til 1,000 miles or so before going to a synthetic oil.

I usually run a motorcycle (higher in zinc) synthetic 5w-40 in other bikes I've got but the Buddy manual calls for 15w-40 oil.

I'll probably use the 10w-40 or 20w-50 cycle Mobil1 in the Buddy I guess.

Don't recall seeing any 15w-40 synthetics for sale readily.

fried okra
Point37

Post by Point37 »

^^^what these guys said...has to do with piston rings sealing properly with dino oil
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

I broke this Buddy 125 in with continuous on-off full throttle with cool downs after every 5 miles. The rings were probably seated after about 25 miles.

I babied my 1969 Ram Air GTO when it was new and not sure the rings ever properly seated. I'll never do that again.

My Dodge Hemi pickup owners manual says occasional full throttle acceleration contributes to good break-in. I think that is a subtle hint :)

fried okra