Buddy 50cc starts in off position

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pt6776

Buddy 50cc starts in off position

Post by pt6776 »

A year ago I lost my scooter key. we had a new key made but it didn't work right. we then bought a new ignition. it seemed cut and dry but didn't work. we then troubleshoot, changed fuel, oil, spark plug, etc. While messing around we realised the scooter would start in the off position, but the fuel gauge, blinker, horn, etc only work in the on position. however speedometer and lights still work. everything only fits one way. tried to remove wires and rewire recently but couldn't find a combo to work. don't really get the whole wiring diagram but can't think of any other reason this would happen. can't find this anywhere so continue to ride and use the key to the on position to turn off.
buddys_n_blasters

Post by buddys_n_blasters »

Did you play with the new ignition before installing, like turn it back and forth? Is it a stock ignition? Some ignitions have more than two possible positions, but the buddy only needs two (three if you count the seat release).

You may have twisted it into a third position which completes the speedo and oil light circuits but not the spark circuit, or some such.

As I recall from when I took out my old ignition, it would be possible to produce your symptoms by offsetting the key by one position, then installing.

Otherwise I'm guessing it's just bad wiring, try looking in this thread for wiring info:
http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

What year is your bike? In 2012 the ignition wiring was changed, and it's possible you have an old bike with a new style ignition, or vice versa.