Smoke from CVT

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

buddys_n_blasters

Smoke from CVT

Post by buddys_n_blasters »

I had the buddy on the center stand and held in the clutch while revving it WOT for about 5 minutes. After a while some smoke started coming out of the CVT box. Is this normal? Should I not rev it out while holding down the clutch? If so, why?

It kind of freaked me out so now I'm thinking about changing the gear oil. Any suggestions on what kind to use?
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »

Try this same post tomorrow on April 2, EDT.. it's still April 1 here.

Syd

Re: Smoke from CVT

Post by Syd »

buddys_n_blasters wrote:I had the buddy on the center stand and held in the clutch while revving it WOT for about 5 minutes. After a while some smoke started coming out of the CVT box. Is this normal? Should I not rev it out while holding down the clutch? If so, why?

It kind of freaked me out so now I'm thinking about changing the gear oil. Any suggestions on what kind to use?
In case this isn't an April Fools joke, how did you "hold the clutch down"?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

That's perfectly normal whenever you do that. The flux capacitor that drives the ion clutch is just converting the excess friction into nebulous gasses to protect the engine's fusion reactor from over heating. If you plan on doing this on a continuous basis, I'd refill the gatorade reservoir at least once a week to ensure your caloric output remains stable.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
buddys_n_blasters

Post by buddys_n_blasters »

A...April Fool's everyone I totally g...got you :/

Seriously though, I take it the left lever does not disengage the transmission? It's just a brake? I just assumed it was a clutch.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

buddys_n_blasters wrote:Seriously though, I take it the left lever does not disengage the transmission? It's just a brake? I just assumed it was a clutch.
It might have been better if this were an April Fool's joke. How have you been riding this scooter if you thought the left hand lever was a clutch control rather than the rear brake?
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Dooglas wrote:
buddys_n_blasters wrote:Seriously though, I take it the left lever does not disengage the transmission? It's just a brake? I just assumed it was a clutch.
It might have been better if this were an April Fool's joke. How have you been riding this scooter if you thought the left hand lever was a clutch control rather than the rear brake?
Boy he's in for a shock once he tightens up that rear brake cable!
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

You seriously thought that... well,then... April Fool (singular).

Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol: