Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buddy 125 carb problem - probably lean

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
chuckcal

Buddy 125

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:26 am    Post subject: Buddy 125 carb problem - probably lean Reply with quote

2007 Buddy 125 was stored for 4+ years, performed all the normal revival maintenance. Starts fine, idles fine. Bogs on partial or full throttle after warmed up. If I cover the intake with a finger it throttles up great, both partial and full throttle. Plug color is too light (but not white). Seems to point to lean condition.

I've had the carb apart several times, jets are clean, the rubber diaphragm is intact and installed correctly. The slide moves when compressed air is applied.

I tested for leaks, intake, petcock vacuum... no leaks found.

Air/fuel screw is set to basic 1.5 turns out.

Stock intake, clean filter, new fuel lines, filter and fresh gas.

What did I miss?
wheelbender6

Genuine Buddy 125

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you tried everything I would have tried. Sometimes you just take it apart and reassemble it and it will clear it up.
-Hopefully somebody will have a better, easier idea.

Stanza

Puch Maxi, Honda C70

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddy 125 classic diaphragm problem. Take the upper diaphragm off the carb, and put a smear of grease around the upper and lower edge of the diaphragm where it seats in the carb. What's happening is that your seal is leaking a little right now, and the diaphragm isn't getting enough vacuum to pull up the throttle slide all the way.
chuckcal

Buddy 125

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try that, but does the fact restricting the intake with a finger does help it throttle up fit with the diaphragm diagnosis?

Stanza wrote:
Buddy 125 classic diaphragm problem. Take the upper diaphragm off the carb, and put a smear of grease around the upper and lower edge of the diaphragm where it seats in the carb. What's happening is that your seal is leaking a little right now, and the diaphragm isn't getting enough vacuum to pull up the throttle slide all the way.
chuckcal

Buddy 125

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried lubing the diaphragm edges, didn't improve the issue, couldn't get above 30mph, with bogging entire way.

Then restricted the intake about 1/3rd and was able to smoothly hit 45mph, not fully open, no bogging at partial or full throttle. I have no basis to know if acceleration is normal or not. Probably will leave it like this for the first tank with some seafoam in it, then de-restrict the intake, see if its better then.

chuckcal wrote:
I will try that, but does the fact restricting the intake with a finger does help it throttle up fit with the diaphragm diagnosis?

Stanza wrote:
DeeDee

buddy 170i

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check for a vacuum leak, or a cracked intake boot. Sounds like it is somehow getting way more air than needed.
JettaKnight

Series Italia 161

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeDee wrote:
Check for a vacuum leak, or a cracked intake boot. Sounds like it is somehow getting way more air than needed.

This.

For that age, some of the rubber will start to crack.
chuckcal

Buddy 125

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeDee wrote:

Just to close this topic, the problem was the gasket around the air filter cover. Parts of the gasket were in really bad shape. I had tested for leaks near the carb, not out there. Removed the cover, put some sealant around the edges, screwed it down tightly and the scooter runs properly now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: