How is everyone liking their Stella Automatic

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

79_Limited

How is everyone liking their Stella Automatic

Post by 79_Limited »

I am eyeing a new Stella automatic at one of the dealers at a very good price.

How is everyone liking their Stella automatics so far?

Evidently, the ECU recall has already been completed on this one.

My main hesitation I have with the new automatic is the evap system. It and the fuel system seems a lot more complicated that my 2012 4T that I had.

Also, a shifty is not an option in this case otherwise I would consider one of those.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

It's likely to spend the duration of the warranty period in the shop.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

avescoots1134 wrote:It's likely to spend the duration of the warranty period in the shop.
Unfortunately, this is not an isolated opinion. my local shop has gotten a few back with weird electrical issues. Not terribly surprising, as the harness is a hairball even compared to the 2T/4T harness. At least one of the bikes was completely replaced by Genuine.

I've also heard that the battery on the Stella Auto has something funky with it's battery; I believe it's not warrantied? Please correct me if this is incorrect, because I'd hope it isn't.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
scottramsam

Post by scottramsam »

This goes to avescoots, I would like to know what type of problems have you experienced and have any of them been resolved?
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

To make it easy, I'll make a list of things I can think of off the top of my head.

*The sensors on the engine will last a month, tops. This doesn't really affect the ability to run but the ECU light will constantly blink.

*The Dellorto fuel system is horrible. It's a pain to start and the carb will gum up at the drop of a hat. This is because they are set crazy lean to pass emissions. I took a three day weekend and when I returned, the Stella wouldn't start. This is with an epic amount of stabilizer. It's going to stay like that until it ever sells.

*So your Stella sat and has a dirty carb now? You have to drop the engine. Yep. Usually comes out to be a $300 job unless something else is wrong too.

*The only Auto in my jurisdiction that actually gets halfway ridden developed a weird oil leak out of a CVT cover bolt. I'm assuming it's a cracked case, but I was told to patch it and it's been holding. (bad metallurgy)

*That same Auto cracked a roller a short time after. 2,000 miles. I haven't even seen that happen in a Chinese scooter.

*I've seen a chewed speedo drive gear. This reminds me of the bad quality control of them on the old 2T's.

Keep in mind that this doesn't reflect bad at all on Genuine, or any of the other bikes that they import. They have been great at dealing with any and all problems related to these bikes.
pge405

Post by pge405 »

avescoots1134 wrote:
*The sensors on the engine will last a month, tops. This doesn't really affect the ability to run but the ECU light will constantly blink.

My life.. I have 200 miles on mine and it has been in the shop twice for the stupid light.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

avescoots1134 wrote: *The sensors on the engine will last a month, tops. This doesn't really affect the ability to run but the ECU light will constantly blink.

*The Dellorto fuel system is horrible. It's a pain to start and the carb will gum up at the drop of a hat.
Are the autos FI or carb?
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

BuddyRaton wrote:Are the autos FI or carb?
They have a carb, but utilize a fuel pump, ECU, and O2 sensor - so not your dad's (or your :wink:) carbed scooter.
79_Limited

Post by 79_Limited »

Thanks for the feedback. This sounds like a big ol' nope.

That's too bad.
scottramsam

Post by scottramsam »

Do these emission problems ever get straightened out or does this persist until you get rid of this scooter?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Dooglas wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:Are the autos FI or carb?
They have a carb, but utilize a fuel pump, ECU, and O2 sensor - so not your dad's (or your :wink:) carbed scooter.
Well...ya learn something new every day!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

I just got notification that the Auto's will have a completely new harness to hopefully solve most of these problems. Apparently LML has been designing it for a year and Genuine is shipping their stock back to India to be rewired. I'm personally not ordering any more Auto's, but I'll keep an eye on this new development.
o0dano0o

Re: How is everyone liking their Stella Automatic

Post by o0dano0o »

79_Limited wrote:I am eyeing a new Stella automatic at one of the dealers at a very good price.

How is everyone liking their Stella automatics so far?
Mine has been garbage. It has had many extended stays at the dealer since I got it last year. I've only been able to put 500ish miles on it. I would recommend staying far away from them.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I own two 2T stellas. This was the same with them. It IS A STELLA.

Some years of the 2T had a junk crank. Yes, thats horrible, but replace the crank, put in new NON Indian bearings and I have 8,000 trouble free miles on a Dr kit since then.

The Stellauto battery does only come with a one month warranty. It is an India sourced battery and may only last a year. MOST batteries only come with a 6 month warranty in bikes anymore. People ignore them over the winter, they crap out. Simple, when it craps out, replace it with a good quality battery. If you have a good relationship with your dealer; they may even sell it to you cheap.

The stella is not for everybody, never has been. Neither is a Lambretta or a vintage scooter. THAT is what you are buying; modern vintage. Its like owning a British car.

The CDI problem was a P.I.T.A. I gotta give Genuine credit. They did the right thing and did a recall. The problem seems to be fixxed.

Dropping the engine to clean the carb? WHAT? Um, no I cleaned a carb on one. It had dirt or debris in it from shipping. It wasn't a terrible job.

Fuel system? Yeah, that one I will give you. If the bike sits for a week the small "sub tank" empties and you have to crank the bike 30 seconds to refill it and start the bike again. That set-up is stupid, but ride it everyday and its fine. Otherwise, expect to crank for 30 seconds to start it.

ANY small scoot needs, startron, K100, or some other magic juice in it. So does this. The first batch in did seem to have some dirt, or some sort of crap in the tanks. The fuel filter will catch it, BUT if a guy is putting on serious miles, plan on replacing the fuel filter after a while with a fresh one.

The ECS light. Well, the bike runs fine with it on. WHY is it even on there? Maybe its the tuner car guy in me. My "check engine" light is always on in my boosted focus, so I guess I tend to ignore that crap ( or, God forbid, unplug it).

The bike isn't without its issues, but NO STELLA ever was. Its a "modern" version of a 60's design. The stellaauto does have a few issues and quirks, but it sounds like some of you need better dealers that are actually willing to work on these things.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

I had one of the StellaAutos in the shop flash the TPS sensor error code. Static discharging the system (unplug the TPS and the ECU, let it sit for about 30 seconds, then re-plug in) solved that problem.
caffeine65

Post by caffeine65 »

I've had zero problems with my Stella Auto past the first few hiccups (that were covered by warranty). It now seems the bugs have been worked out and the bike's running strong over a year later!
Rune

Post by Rune »

Concerned already. Bought my 2014 Stella Auto with 1,600 miles on it. Worked great for an evening. Then on a slow hour long trip, it would sputter and lug badly from a stop. A day later, the starter would spin, but not fully engage every time I hit start. As of now, the starter fully engages, but it will not start.

this is my introduction to scooters. =/
pge405

Post by pge405 »

Bought mine in January and its been in the shop most of the time. Not blaming Genuine though.. They have covered everything under warranty and have been very friendly.

-ECU light blinked randomly and was giving the temp sensor code (took it to the shop and could not repeat the problem. Light started blinking when an hour or two after riding it when I left the shop... Took it right back to the shop)
-Temp sensor was bad (fixed it, but took a month to get the part)
-Seat lock locked... and then would not unlock ( took it apart at the shop and the pins were jacked up)
-Either ECU or Choke had the bike keeping throttle after starting it up. Only way to get the bike to reset was to unplug the ECU and replug. (genuine suggested replacing the choke first) which its in the shop again waiting on parts.

I bet after they replace the choke it will back in the shop for a new ECU.

Other than that.... the 300 miles I have been able to put on it have been a blast.
Rune

Post by Rune »

I'll amend my review a bit. In the thread I created, I solved my issue. Plug wire came out of the plug cap. That's odd, but whatever. As of now, Stella is running like a champ, in the wet or dry.
Wilmette john

Post by Wilmette john »

I love my stella automatic. Had two bugs that were fixed under warranty and is running great. One beautiful looking lady!
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I love mine. After two original (recalled) CDI failures, the original owner had enough and simply left it at the dealership with 7 miles on it. I waited until the coldest day of winter and made a great deal on it. I cleaned the carb (it does indeed have wicked small orifices) out of the side of the machine and with a new battery installed the scoot came back to life. After that, I've had 500 miles of awesome riding and would take this scoot anywhere. I keep Sea Foam in it just like I do with all my scoots. I've changed the oil once and it was absolutely black, so it must be time to do that again.

Be careful when you replace that battery, as the positive lead (towards the front of the bike) doesn't come close to fitting the official Genuine replacement battery (with the positive lead towards the back of the scoot if you put it in the normal way - install it "backwards" and it just fits). I took off the shrink wrap from the positive lead so that I can see the RED wire (it was totally covered by black shrink wrap on my scoot).

That little 125 is amazing. I'm easily faster than stop light traffic and can easily exceed 55 MPH. With a little more use, I bet that I'll see 60. I'm pulling almost 80 MPG riding it like I stole it. I have the front and rear racks and it's my go-to scooter for hauling stuff.

Yes, it's Indian. My front rotor is warped and will be replaced one day. The wiring does look like a mess, but I'll probably put a few more cable ties in there to help support it. Mine starts right up even after a week or more of not riding it, but yes, the bendix for the starter doesn't engage perfectly every time. I still love it.

Here's my write-up: http://www.examiner.com/article/life-wi ... ic-scooter
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Rune

Post by Rune »

Hey Stella owners... Just noticed on some yt videos that the 4T makes a whine when the turn signal button is pressed. Should the Stella Auto have that as well?
OCStella

Post by OCStella »

Well, up until now I've not had any problems with my Stella Auto. Though I only have 175 miles on the odometer. Yesterday was a beautiful day and I decided to take the scooter to down the coast. While I was on the highway PCH, I had the smell of rubber burning and then a pop. I found that I had no drive power. My assumption is that I lost the drive belt, but I really don't know anything about the Stella auto. I just bought the scooter in April and it's not even broken in yet. The stretch where it broke down is about 3 miles long with only one stop light and speeds of 55mph. I expect the replacement to be covered by warranty since this is way premature.
I did call AAA and got a tow home as I wasn't going to bother calling the Genuine tow and wait several hours. Plus my local shop was probably closed. Is this something that happens with some of the other known issues?

Thanks in advance, Rob.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

@ Rune. The 4T had that, but the stellauto has no sound device for the turnsignal being on. I was a bit suprised by that.

175 miles is something odd. "Pop" is never a good sound on any bike. Be sure to let us know what it was.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

I currently have one in the shop with 152mi on it waiting for an engine. Crankshaft failure.
OCStella

Post by OCStella »

Does anyone have instructions on how to check the drive belt or changing the drive belt. I just checked the warranty and consumables are not covered. This is for a 2013 Auto.

Thank you for the help.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

OCStella wrote:Does anyone have instructions on how to check the drive belt or changing the drive belt. I just checked the warranty and consumables are not covered. This is for a 2013 Auto.

Thank you for the help.
It's practically identical to a normal GY6 drivetrain. Check out Youtube for some how-to videos.
OCStella

Post by OCStella »

avescoots1134 wrote:
OCStella wrote:Does anyone have instructions on how to check the drive belt or changing the drive belt. I just checked the warranty and consumables are not covered. This is for a 2013 Auto.

Thank you for the help.
It's practically identical to a normal GY6 drivetrain. Check out Youtube for some how-to videos.
Will do, thanks.
OCStella

Post by OCStella »

So, after speaking to the local dealer about my belt issue, he told me to drop it off and the manufacture should cover the belt replacement under warranty since it broke so prematurely and will give them a chance to see if there is anything wrong.
More to follow.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Rune wrote:Hey Stella owners... Just noticed on some yt videos that the 4T makes a whine when the turn signal button is pressed. Should the Stella Auto have that as well?
It sounds kinda like a backing truck only not as loud...
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Drum Pro wrote:
Rune wrote:Hey Stella owners... Just noticed on some yt videos that the 4T makes a whine when the turn signal button is pressed. Should the Stella Auto have that as well?
It sounds kinda like a backing truck only not as loud...
Changing the flasher relay out can make it less annoying. At one point, I tried an electronic flasher in lieu of the thermal one it came with; it made the blinker audio less whiny and more authoritative sounding. Ultimately, I've decided to change out the relay and the buzzer (audio pilot) for the relay and gong from a Honda Gyro S. It makes the blinker sound like a pendulum clock with a bright tick-tock sound.
Last edited by az_slynch on Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

I am literally amazed!

I've been riding motorcycles for 50 years and decided to try a Stella.
I loved the classic vintage look and took a chance.

I truly expected it to be all looks and no performance or reliability. made in India etc. a troublesome toy at best.

But my Stella auto has started every time. That was my biggest surprise! Everything works as it should. The seat is high for good visibility, and plenty comfortable.
The suspension is quite good as it glides smoothly over big cracks and bumps in the road.
There is plenty of storage in the huge glovebox, plus I have luggage racks on front and rear for large items such as 12-packs of beer. LOL. No, REALLY.

I just can't believe this beauty starts every time. Unbelievable surprise!

Only thing weird that happened was with the gas cap. I unscrewed it to fill up and it fell apart in my hand into 3 pieces. But I reassembled it and stuck it back on until the new one arrives from warranty.

I actually think this Stella is a lot more fun to ride than my motorcycles were. It''s quirky and cool. It draws all sorts of attention and questions everywhere I go.

It gets over 80 miles to the gallon, and has lots of power and pep.

I am Beyond happy with this jewel of a ride.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

The same Auto I replaced the engine on blew it's front hub bearings 40mi later. Literally cracked the bearing race in half which could have easily locked up and seriously hurt the customer. Nobody has ever seen that one before.

#becausestella
Rune

Post by Rune »

Is there a parts list for the Auto? I don't see one in the Service_Station_Manual_-Stella_AUTOMATIC_125 PDF

I want to buy a new coil and plug cap. Any ideas or recommendations for a replacement?
scottramsam

Post by scottramsam »

Go to AF1 Racing and in the left hand column there is a listing for all Genuine scooters click that and then go down the list and click on Stella Auto. Let the pages load and there is a parts list for virtually every part on your scooter. They do have a good selection of parts or they can get what you need.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

I'd suggest ordering through your local dealership - support the local businesses and all that.

Then again, I work at a small dealership.
Rune

Post by Rune »

I've got two dealerships... Both are over 40 miles away and in opposite directions from me. I plan on doing a lot of my own work...
OCStella

Post by OCStella »

So, I just got the news on my belt that broke at 135 miles on the odometer. The dealer is replacing clutch, variator and almost everything in the drive line with the exception of the tranny. I will have to pay for the belt and rollers(?) at about $125 for the parts. No explanation as to why the belt disintegrated. Their thought was the variator was stuck and wouldn't open all the way.

Anyone ever hear of this happening? It's a 2014 Auto that I bought in April and like I said, it only has 135 miles on the odometer.
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

Just took the 2014 Stella auto in for the 310 mile servicing. Added the windshield and front fender chrome. Also have front and rear luggage rack

Up until 310 miles I kept the speed mostly under 30mph on the advice of Genuine on how to break in the bike. They say it helps to form good ring surface etc.

So today while out for a ride I decided to see how she would do with more throttle. Zipped down the on ramp and blended into 4 lane traffic. Before I realized it the speedometer was up to 55mph with a little throttle still left. I think it would have made 60mph but I was coming into a slower zone.

It didn't have the solid comfort of my Harley RoadKing, at 55mph, but I was still impressed that it could move that fast and keep up with traffic in the 55mph speed zone.

350 miles on it now and still perfectly reliable and comfortable. A real joy to scoot around town on. and OHHHH the attention and looks it gets!!!
jeffdowdy

Post by jeffdowdy »

viney266 wrote:
Fuel system? Yeah, that one I will give you. If the bike sits for a week the small "sub tank" empties and you have to crank the bike 30 seconds to refill it and start the bike again. That set-up is stupid, but ride it everyday and its fine. Otherwise, expect to crank for 30 seconds to start it.
I wonder if this could be a solution for me. My Stella 125 Auto tries to crank (I have 90 miles on it). I had the battery tested and was told it needed charging. I put it on a tender overnight.

Today I tried again and it still won't crank. So, literally just keep it cranking for 30 seconds?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

jeffdowdy wrote:I tried again and it still won't crank. So, literally just keep it cranking for 30 seconds?
You mean it does crank (i.e, the starter turns the engine over), but it does not start running? Back to the basic stuff - is it getting fuel? Does it have a spark?
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

If your stella automatic has only 90 miles on it, I guarantee and promise that it needs a carb clean.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

You can verify this by spraying starter fluid in the air intake snorkel. If it fires up for a second or two, but then dies, your carb is most likely clogged from sitting.
jeffdowdy

Post by jeffdowdy »

Dooglas wrote:
jeffdowdy wrote:I tried again and it still won't crank. So, literally just keep it cranking for 30 seconds?
You mean it does crank (i.e, the starter turns the engine over), but it does not start running? Back to the basic stuff - is it getting fuel? Does it have a spark?
This started after riding to and from work everyday. It was not idling well. At stop lights I was having to give it some throttle. From what I'm reading, it's likely that the carb needs cleaning and not the spark?

Either way, thanks!
jeffdowdy

update

Post by jeffdowdy »

Update: I drained the carburetor after using an additive to hopefully eliminate any water in the tank and clear the carb. I then added new fuel and more additive and reconnected the battery to the tender overnight. Still won't start. :?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

So, is the engine getting fuel? Is the plug wet with fuel after a failed start attempt (or does it start and run briefly with starter fluid)? If it IS getting fuel and not starting - is it getting a spark? Time to eliminate some possible problems. If you get by those steps, it is probably time to start considering things like air/fuel problems.
jeffdowdy

RESOLVED!

Post by jeffdowdy »

Dooglas wrote:So, is the engine getting fuel? Is the plug wet with fuel after a failed start attempt (or does it start and run briefly with starter fluid)? If it IS getting fuel and not starting - is it getting a spark? Time to eliminate some possible problems. If you get by those steps, it is probably time to start considering things like air/fuel problems.
Thanks Dooglas! My friend (who is competent) and I pulled the spark plug and it was wet. Tested it and it was getting a spark. But the wire running from the spark had come disconnected apparently. That was it! Thanks for everyone's help.