Help. Buddy 50 restoration project. Been sitting 2 years

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Trixyshrimp101

Help. Buddy 50 restoration project. Been sitting 2 years

Post by Trixyshrimp101 »

So I recently purchased a red buddy 50 year 2011. That had been sitting for around 2 years but kept inside 2xxx miles and good compression body looks great I bought it for $100 and for that price I could not pass it up. It apeared to have been hotwired at some point or at least attempted to be hotwired because the wires coming from the ignition are all cut and the little plastic rotating piece that connects the wires when the key is turned is snapped off. The horn was disconnected and stored in the seat......I hope it's not stolen .....but I had to have it. Its a beauty. Anyways the gas inside looked like the surface of mars on the sides of the tank so I cleaned that but now I have been trying to find scematics watching youtube videos and everything I possibly can to get this scooter running I am by no means a mechanic but really want to learn. I am having trouble with the wiring. Thats my biggest problem hopefully someone has fixed one of these before? I would be eternally grateful for some suggestions on how to get it running. I wanted to get it running now and then maybe buy a new ignition later down the road I am not particularly excited about dumping money into it for that a new gas tank and anything else it needs until I see it running and know %100 that its not just going to be a money pit. Sorry this post is a little discombobulated but I have not been on a forum in a long time and am a little stuck here. Does anyone know which wires are which to hotwire it? the wires are blue/whitestripe and red/whitestripe and orange and yellow. If it had been sitting for 2 years if I hook up the oil and gas and just crank it by kickstart they both should just be drawn into the engine right? I dont see anything that stands out to me as a electric powered oil injector and I cant find anything online that tells me how the oil on a buddy 50 works. I can post pictures of it. Any help would be appreciated. Any things to watch out for and whatnot. Sorry about the long post. thanks
Trixyshrimp101

Post by Trixyshrimp101 »

:D great news :D so me and a buddy kickstarted it a couple times and it started up and died and after a couple times we decided to take apart the carb and clean it out. Cant believe it started up before that. That just proves to me how great genuine scooters are....but anyways I rode it around but it never toped 30mph and would cut off when I let off the throttle we messed with the throttle cable and tried choking it and used starter fluid but I finally got it ideling by itself for the past 20 min. Like a boss. so im just going to let it run for now. A couple questions though 1) Does anyone have experience with buying a roughhouse50 or a buddy50 from the carolina areas because this one is from north Carolina apparently and I know that they come from the factory restricted to only go 30 but here in florida they derestrict them in the dealership. Is it possible that this one is still restricted? 2) how do I adjust the carb/jet???? 3) should I change the gear oil just to be safe?
Trixyshrimp101

Post by Trixyshrimp101 »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: im having issues I dont know why I cleaned the carb 4 times. I was not getting gas thru the hose to the.carb. So I eliminated the suction hose and just did it straight with just gas. So I know its getting gas now but it still wont crank. Its not flooded I checked. Plzzzzz someone HELP! HEEEEEEEEELLLLP!!!!!!! :cry: :hit: :hit: :fp:
Moyesdriver

Post by Moyesdriver »

That’s what you get for buying stolen sh*t
Trixyshrimp101

Post by Trixyshrimp101 »

It's not stolen. I just got the title but thanks for your input.