Ethanol-free fuel with a Buddy 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Do you use ethanol-free fuel with your Buddy 125?

Yes, religiously
25%
Yes, but only if it's convenient
20%
No
55%

Total votes: 20

soup

Ethanol-free fuel with a Buddy 125

Post by soup »

I have a 2007 Buddy 125 that has been professionally upgraded to a 162cc. The previous owner advised that I use ethanol-free fuel. This has been more challenging than I thought, because I have yet to find a gas station near me with ethanol-free fuel.

I'm interested in your experiences. Are there times where you just can't find ethanol-free fuel and you just settle for ethanol for that particular instance? How badly has this affected the scooter? Any other advice?
youkiddin

Post by youkiddin »

maybe this will be of use finding the fuel https://www.pure-gas.org/ the best way of dealing with fuel is to ride the bike alot
soup

Post by soup »

youkiddin wrote:maybe this will be of use finding the fuel https://www.pure-gas.org/ the best way of dealing with fuel is to ride the bike alot
Yeah, I tried pure-gas, but thanks. Are you saying that the primary issue is if the ethanol gas sits in the scooter for a while? So if I use it up quickly, then it may be less of an issue?
tenders

Post by tenders »

I’ve used StaBil for 20 years in 100% of the gas I use in small carbureted engines and have never had an ethanol problem. Highly seasonal use, all had ethanol, oldest gas was 15 months old, exhaust smelled a little dank but ran well enough.

Gas stored in jerrycans gets used in a car after about 6 months to avoid tempting fate.

I’m against ethanol due to its lower energy density and its higher care requirement, but it has not actually messed up any of my engines...yet.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Our Buddy runs fine with 10% ethanol fuel. I do, however, make a point of filling with ethanol free fuel when
the scooter will not be used for an extended period. There is no doubt that ethanol free fuel stores better.
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

I'm using ethanol free fuel in my new Buddy primarily because the ethanol fuel has a higher moisture content and I don't want rust starting in the metal fuel tank of the Buddy.

On my Aprilia scooters, have plastic fuel tanks, and require high octane fuel I typically use 93 octane ethanol fuel unless I can get 93 octane ethanol free fuel which is occasionally available.

fried okra
Point37

Post by Point37 »

i put a little seafoam in every tank
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

I personally despise ethanol because it ruined my lawn mower, weed eater & hedge trimmer. It makes less power than pure gas, raises fuel consumption, corrosion & costs. And here'w why we will NEVER get rid of it. The Iowa Caucus. Both political parties want to win votes of corn farmers. Corn farmers & their lobbyists LOVE ethanol. It's money. A President who promises to ban ethanol likely won't be elected or reelected. Corn farmers have us by the b**ls. They own us unless we're on electric vehicles. Lots of other reasons to ban ethanol too but that's a long story for another day. Anyway the nearest real gas to me was about 100 miles away, now there's a new place about 20 miles away & I'll soon be going there. Oh, just got a new motorcycle Tuesday, not putting corn in it. I want this to last.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

fried okra

Post by fried okra »

New2Scoots.....my feelings exactly.

fried okra
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

I have a Buddy 125 carb with over 50,000 miles on it and I run gas with ethanol 99% of the time and it is still in great shape. For me it isn't worth the $0.60-$1.00 extra a gallon to buy ethanol free gas.
OBX Dan

Post by OBX Dan »

Point37 wrote:i put a little seafoam in every tank
I don't use it every tank but maybe every month or so. When the scoot is going to be idle for awhile I'll run some through before shutting her down.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Im with Dooglas. 10% ethanol is fine, ethanol free if your letting it sit for extended periods.
Trixyshrimp101

Post by Trixyshrimp101 »

I have a roughhouse50 and a Kawasaki 250klr enduro bike 8) and only run ethanol free in both. I bought them both used and am convinced that they both run better with the ethanol free fuel after a time especially the 2 stroke genuine roughhouse50. (And it is cheaper than 93octane!!!) You can google gas stations near you and call them and ask if they have ethanol free or REC 90 while you sit your lazy butt on the couch from home. I am in florida and I know of 4 gas stations within a reasonable distance from me on my scooter that have REC 90 (ethanol free) you may have passed right by a gas pump that said REC 90 and not known what it meant but now you do :D :wink: also it may be at its own separate pump from the rest of the gas so look around at the gas station at all the pumps. it may require a little rubbernecking to find it at first. But it's worth it. Especially for 2 strokes

Ethanol free gasoline=REC 90