First (or second) hand details of 125 engine failure anyone?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

PNWbuddy

First (or second) hand details of 125 engine failure anyone?

Post by PNWbuddy »

My only other scooter experience was with a one that could run wide open heavily loaded for long distances. I have read a couple not detailed reports of Buddy 125 engine failures/crank failures. Any specifics? I have a Prima/NCY 161 installed without head, air box or exhaust changes (didn't think that was necessary as the 170 has the same air box/filter and exhaust as far as I can tell). I read about a scooter cannonball rider who had engine failure near the end of the cannonball but no specifics. Here there aren't many or, depending on route, any lower speed secondary roads to take for long distances, just highways (not limited access freeways).
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I held mine at WOT for 15 miles each way, Mon-Fri. Then, when I first met my girlfriend, I would tide to her place 60 miles each way on Sat and Sun-WOT. This is a bone stock Buddy 125. 30,000 miles later and it still runs great. It is serviced with love and care, and now rarely gets the WOT treatment. But now it has a gear-up kit from a Psycho installed so it no longer revs as high.
Syd

Re: First (or second) hand details of 125 engine failure any

Post by Syd »

PNWbuddy wrote:My only other scooter experience was with a one that could run wide open heavily loaded for long distances. I have read a couple not detailed reports of Buddy 125 engine failures/crank failures. Any specifics? I have a Prima/NCY 161 installed without head, air box or exhaust changes (didn't think that was necessary as the 170 has the same air box/filter and exhaust as far as I can tell). I read about a scooter cannonball rider who had engine failure near the end of the cannonball but no specifics. Here there aren't many or, depending on route, any lower speed secondary roads to take for long distances, just highways (not limited access freeways).
You may be thinking of RobTaylor, in 2008. I remember that, as it was the first time we were aware of the SCR here at Modern Buddy. You're right, after having trouble Day 1 Rob ran hard eight straight days beating on his 125cc like it was a much bigger displacement scoot. Did you know that two Big Rucki also failed to run every day that year? It is a very hard thing to do, run all-out 8 or 10 hours a day for ten days.

Unless you plan to run in 2020, I'd highly recommend a Buddy 125, and if you do plan on running in 2020, go all stock. Built bikes have a history of failing.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Wait, are you seriously asking about a SCR? Or just asking if a Buddy a reliable DD with long WOT runs?

If the latter, the overwhelming consensus is YES. If it wasn't, Modern Buddy would be filled with horror stories, or at least have some. I've been here for 12 years (user 660!), and can't think of any catastrophic engine failures from DD, even with BBKs.
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

I only mentioned the cannonball because I found some limited reports of a Buddy that broke down and wasn't able to finish, no info regarding what happened to it. Also saw some reference to 125s with crank failure on this site, but no specifics. I would like to do some multi day trips on my Buddy 125/161 as I did with a prior scooter but there are sections where riding at or near WOT would be necessary for long periods. It sounds like the Buddy could be up to it.
Last edited by PNWbuddy on Wed May 15, 2019 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

I put over 44,000 miles on my first Buddy 125 before the engine failed(the piston/rings failed) and the crank was still fine. I did 200-300 miles in a day on a regular basis, one time I even did over 400 buddy miles in one day, much of which was WOT. Buddy 125 can easily handle long fast days. The one thing I would recommend is changing your oil a little more often. If I were you I would change it before you take a long trip.
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

Lake Geneva? Amerivespa would make a good destination, maybe a bit too far though.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

There have also been Buddys that have finished the CBR with no problems, just usual CBR maintenance
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL