Looking for a dark windshield for a 2017 Buddy Eclipse

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

coolrays

Looking for a dark windshield for a 2017 Buddy Eclipse

Post by coolrays »

Found this one on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Scooter-Windscre ... 0786&psc=1

But... there are a few things I don’t love about it.

1. I would like for it to be tinted or match the aesthetic of my Eclipse.

2. I’m afraid the attachments may not work since my Eclipse has different side view mirrors than the one pictured on the Amazon listing. I’d like to find one with dark metal or plastic instead of chrome. I think it’ll just look better with my blacked out ride!

3. This is minor, and I could be swayed, but it just seems a bit... tall!

So I come to ask fellow forum friends on their experiences with deciding on, buying, and inevitably installing their own windshields. Any advice and / or constructive criticism would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Image[i[/i]
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Could you have it tinted?

Is there any reason a windscreen can't be opaque? I really don't look through mine, just over it.

Spray paint?
Dooglas

Re: Looking for a dark windshield for a 2017 Buddy Eclipse

Post by Dooglas »

coolrays wrote:3. This is minor, and I could be swayed, but it just seems a bit... tall!
There actually is an optimal height for a scooter windscreen. You want to be able to look over the top of the windscreen and see the road 20 to 30 feet in front of you. You want the airstream to flow just over the top of your helmet. If it is taller than that, you will be looking through the windscreen at the road, which means you will be looking through dirt, bugs, rain splatters, whatever. If it is shorter than that, the stream of air coming over the screen will hit you in the face or shoulders. This is why some people buy a taller screen and cut it down to the correct height for their scooter and their own height/helmet position.
coolrays

Re: Looking for a dark windshield for a 2017 Buddy Eclipse

Post by coolrays »

Dooglas wrote:
coolrays wrote:3. This is minor, and I could be swayed, but it just seems a bit... tall!
There actually is an optimal height for a scooter windscreen. You want to be able to look over the top of the windscreen and see the road 20 to 30 feet in front of you. You want the airstream to flow just over the top of your helmet. If it is taller than that, you will be looking through the windscreen at the road, which means you will be looking through dirt, bugs, rain splatters, whatever. If it is shorter than that, the stream of air coming over the screen will hit you in the face or shoulders. This is why some people buy a taller screen and cut it down to the correct height for their scooter and their own height/helmet position.
This is a good point! Thanks for the info.
OBX Dan

Post by OBX Dan »

Tight Buddy. Great color.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

JettaKnight wrote:Could you have it tinted?

Is there any reason a windscreen can't be opaque? I really don't look through mine, just over it.

Spray paint?
Only if you're contemplating suicide including killing or injuring a small child or somebody's pet animal who just happened to run right in front of you but your opaque windshield prevented you from seeing them.

Bill in Seattle
'84 Honda Gyro
Point37

Post by Point37 »

skipper20 wrote:

Spray paint?
Only if you're contemplating suicide including killing or injuring a small child or somebody's pet animal who just happened to run right in front of you but your opaque windshield prevented you from seeing them.

Bill in Seattle
'84 Honda Gyro
people have opaque windshields on motorcycles all the time...most of them are not in front of your face though...it would probably be fine if you do it on a lower windshield...i would not recommend it on a tall windshield...they make spray paint tint for plastic...but i would spray the inside of the windscreen in case you screw up it won't look as bad
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

skipper20 wrote:

Spray paint?

Bill in Seattle
'84 Honda Gyro
For me, that area is five, maybe six, feet directly in front of the bike.

If something pops up right there, it's 30 milliseconds from being hit. (i.e. unavoidable)
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

They sell a translucent paint at craft stores that can make clear glass look like stained glass. I used some to make a clear tail light lens red. I have only seen it as brush paint.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Point37

Post by Point37 »

'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
coolrays

Post by coolrays »

For the record, I do NOT want an opaque windshield! :lol: