Bringing a faded Buddy 150 back to life.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sc00ter

Bringing a faded Buddy 150 back to life.

Post by sc00ter »

2009 Buddy 150. 16,000 miles. Lived in the salt air in Kitty Hawk, NC. Has much corrosion and rust started, but nothing super horrible. I need to have a title generated for it. Prior owner was a rebel and was obviously riding it as a moped! I got the Certificate of Origin in place of a title. I should be able to get a title without to much trouble. I really need to learn to post pics. I have a Chromebook and a Galaxy 3, so that will be fun to figure out. This scooter is straight and has never been down. Painted plastics are perfect, mat plastics are super faded and the seat is good. Im sure every screw is gonna snap, bolts are gonna strip and there will be a few silly issues that are gonna rear their head but this will be a fun restoration!
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

:P
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

That was fast. Im gonna see if it starts. If it does, Im pulling the motor for a friend. If it wont, its getting trashed. I cant get a title for it. Not worth the time and hassle. Oh well, live and learn I guess. I have a Zuma and a Jog I recently broke down for scrap metal because I couldnt have titles generated (for various reasons) and this Buddy 150 is gonna join the recycle pile. If anyone needs specific parts PM me. I might list the parts in the For Sale/Wanted section but I really dont need the money.
buddys_n_blasters

Post by buddys_n_blasters »

Recently went through the titling process for my Buddy in NJ. It was long but if you stay organized it's very doable, especially if you have a different scooter to ride in the meantime!

Don't give up on her!
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

Regarding pictures, I can't seem to post them on this site by using the choose file option. Just get a spinning circle and image won't upload for some reason.

Regarding faded matte plastics, mine were completely faded to light grey. I sprayed a few coats with PlastiDip which I think worked very well.

Different state but the prior owner of the Buddy I recently bought lost the title, he went to a DMV and got a notarized document that I used to title it without any issues. With a known prior owner and MSO it seems that it should be doable without much effort.

I had mine entirely stripped down including forks and motor removal and back together in a week or two, there isn't much to these scooters. Why miss out on a fun project? A good dosing and soaking with PB Blaster or similar on the fasteners might help avoid broken screws/bolts.
buddys_n_blasters

> he went to a DMV and got a notarized document that I used to title it without any issues.

Wish I had known about this. How does it work exactly? You just asked him to get something notarized that said he owned the scoot? Is this something the DMV does?
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

" Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest (Form TD-420-040). All registered owners of the vehicle must sign the form and the signatures notarized."

I didn't have to ask him for it because he already had it on hand. I just took it to a DMV who titled it to me.

I also got a title on an old Honda CT90 with a lost title. It had a clear ownership history (original owner was 90+ years old retired FBI agent who gave it to a retired state policeman who I bought it from) but all I got with it was a bill of sale. I was still able to get it registered as lost title with ownership in doubt sort of thing and after 3 years got a clear title in my name. I did have to take it to a state police post for a VIN check but it wasn't difficult or really any trouble.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

PNWbuddy wrote:Regarding pictures, I can't seem to post them on this site by using the choose file option. Just get a spinning circle and image won't upload for some reason.
Your problem could be as simple as the size of the picture file. I have to edit most photos with an image resizer before I can post them.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

The zawsaw and sledge hammer came out. I stripped the whole thing down to trash can size in the length of Lights, Camera, Revolution by S.T. I saved the forks and I gave my friend till Monday to grab the motor. I dont have time to play with the title. I learned a lesson and got rid of the Buddy that was now in the way taking up space. No panels survived. Sorry for giving up so easily. The remainder of it will go into the scrap metal pile for the junk man. 1 Zuma, 1 Jog and now a Buddy.
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

Brutal.
buddys_n_blasters

Painful read. Poor thing.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

This makes me sad. So many good parts in the garbage...
Point37

Post by Point37 »

scootERIK wrote:This makes me sad. So many good parts in the garbage...
^^^this...there is a scooter group on facebook for my area where people are always looking for random parts...i'm sure there are a ton of similar pages out there...could have maybe parted the whole thing out for what it costed or even maybe made money
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I dont do F.B., and Im not a member of any clubs. I was going to rehab the Buddy 150 and give my Zuma to a friend who could really use it. But things turned out much different. My wife walked out as I was standing with the sledgehammer. She goes "Are you gonna part it?" and I ask "Are you gonna mess with the packing and shipping?". She walked away so I took it apart the fastest way possible to catch trash day. Someone may point out that there is a Genuine dealer (Fusion) right down the street... Anyways, a friend wants the motor to learn on before doing a bbk on his Buddy 125. I also saved him the forks, as we are not 100% how you rebuild them. Do you remove the plastic caps? About to find out. He also snagged the steer tube. Still has the loud horn on it and the ignition has the key with the key code tag and I have blanks. So not all was lost.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

From "this will be a fun restoration!" on Sunday, to "Sorry for giving up so easily." on Monday. Sledgehammer and hacksaw...what a waste. How fast must the rest of your life move, if one day is enough to convince you that you are out of time? Sorry to be salty, but that's just a hard read given your glowing first post on the subject.

Glad you were able to save the engine, at least.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

I am confused- Is the same scooter from the other thread that Dan sold? He said he had the title in hand...
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

It is. Or rather, was.
OBX Dan

Post by OBX Dan »

Shit man I feel like crying. Many good parts on that scooter and the paperwork was tight I was the first owner.

That Buddy hauled my ass to work for a few years. That engine is frak solid. I'm going to have a beer and look at the ocean for awhile....frak hell oh well. R.I.P. my scooter. Live on through the engine I suppose.
OBX Dan

Post by OBX Dan »

Stanza wrote:From "this will be a fun restoration!" on Sunday, to "Sorry for giving up so easily." on Monday. Sledgehammer and hacksaw...what a waste. How fast must the rest of your life move, if one day is enough to convince you that you are out of time? Sorry to be salty, but that's just a hard read given your glowing first post on the subject.

Glad you were able to save the engine, at least.
It was my fault. I should have done this. I sold it for a fair price and now it is gone. Be pissed at me. Gotta look at the positive. I have a RH50 Sport 2016 I run around town. Thinking about picking up a Rattler 50 brand new. It has all the bells and whistles plus a digi speedo plus an upgraded fork for 100 more than the RH sport.
https://youtu.be/bEeaS6fuUoA
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

So there was no title?