Titled, Registered, Insured...Finally!! (New Jersey)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

buddys_n_blasters

Titled, Registered, Insured...Finally!! (New Jersey)

Post by buddys_n_blasters »

Bought a Buddy 50 without title this January and finally finished the process of getting all the paperwork in order today...what a relief!

A lot of it was my fault for not staying on top of things, and if I had to do it again I'd say I could finish the process in about 6-8 weeks, but still, what a procedure. All in all it cost me about $325 (could probably get it down to $200 if I had to do it over) and some time on the phone with the DMV.

Overall not bad. The first 2 months of downtime were spent making the scoot run. The 2 months where it was mechanically sound but illegal were rough. I snuck a few rides in though :)

Now it's time to have some fun!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

So what was the story behind yours? The Buddy I just trashed did not come with a title, only a Certificate of Origin, and our DMV said it was a bootleg. So they then gave me 3 different options, all of them requiring more work and time (and much money) then I was willing to invest. Space is crazy tight here and I cant have unregistered scooters just sitting around drawing attention, and fines, from our very active city code enforcement. The scrap metal man comes every other week, so stripped frames and motors go fast.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Oh, congrats on your success! I had to register the pink Buddy to get it legal because it was outside at the time. Then, 3 days later, the new owner got their act together and I gave it to her. I still have the moped plate on the coffee table from Pinky. I might be getting a Honda Metro dumped on me soon. Im gonna transfer that plate over and make sure its all correct before giving it to a friend who needs cheap transportation.
buddys_n_blasters

Post by buddys_n_blasters »

Just a Craigslist buy with no papers, I did get a Bill of Sale though. NJ process requires title searches from the surrounding states, newspaper publication, attempts to contact existing owner, etc.

Like I said, overall not a terrible process if you stay on top of it. I'd definitely still consider buying a non-titled scoot, but I'd probably negotiate the price down a bit more than I did with this one, knowing the hassle involved.