Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hooligan + Top Case = Wobble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
Jaue-GTH

16 Hooligan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Hooligan + Top Case = Wobble Reply with quote

Anyone have luck using a top case with the Hooligan? My 2016 model rides great with no issues. But when I put on a top case, I get serious front wheel wobble while decelerating, too much wobble for me to consider safe.

Tire pressure is fine and I have tried adjusting the PSI. It doesn't matter if the case is empty or carrying weight.
Stanza

Puch Maxi, Honda C70

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's bizarre.....the top case shouldn't be affecting your stability when braking. How much weight are you loading it up with? Does it change when empty vs loaded? Does it also wobble if you use the rear brake only?
Jaue-GTH

16 Hooligan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanza wrote:
That's bizarre.....the top case shouldn't be affecting your stability when braking. How much weight are you loading it up with? Does it change when empty vs loaded? Does it also wobble if you use the rear brake only?

Jaue-GTH wrote:
It doesn't matter if the case is empty or carrying weight.

The wobble starts when I let off the gas at ~25 MPH, no need to apply brakes. But it continues while I am breaking. I haven't tested slowing down from faster than 25, since it isn't safe. Also haven't tested with just the rear brake.

I know intuitively it doesn't make sense, but some laws of physics must be in play here...
Point37

'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're not the only one...it sounds like the wind buffeting makes the case shake and it transfers throughout the scooter...

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic23367.html#299861

Dooglas

Buddy 125, GTS300, Typhoon 125

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Vespa GTS scooters are prone to some steering wobble when decelerating through 30-25 mph. In that case, it seems to be made worse by a loaded topcase, an out of balance tire, or a misadjusted front steering race. If the problem is the topcase, loading it more lightly or using weighted bar ends seems to help.
Jaue-GTH

16 Hooligan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point37 wrote:
you're not the only one...it sounds like the wind buffeting makes the case shake and it transfers throughout the scooter...

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic23367.html#299861

It does ride perfectly without the case. Prior to this I had a Buddy 150 with a case, it rode fine with the case on; even with 12 beers in it Smile

I still would like to know if anyone with a Hooligan is able to use a case without problems.

For future search result:
shake
vibrate
wobble
Point37

'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you know anyone else with a top case i would see if you can mount their case and see if it's better with a different model case on it...maybe you could sell your case and buy a different one...or you could try some type of locking trunk and just put a piece of wood or plastic in the base and drill through the bottom and mount it...maybe something made by plano (cheap pelican case)...there is always the milk crate approach as a last resort
babblefish

2006 Blur 180, 2008 Buddy St. Tropez

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I have an oversize Givi top case on my Buddy 150 and don't have any stability or handling issues. I use the same case on my Blur without problems either. The Hooligan is bigger than the Buddy so I'm not sure what's going on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: