Buddy 150 starting woes

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scootdad

Buddy 150 starting woes

Post by scootdad »

Reaching out to the collected wisdom and experience of the Genuine Buddy family for some guidance:

So my 2008 Italia with ~3K miles has started not starting. A dead battery I understand, although I keep this one on a tender, alternating weekly with the backup generator. It has never failed to hold a charge even after some untended weeks in the closed garage. I took the battery out and charged it directly, it had just enough strength to almost turn over the engine, then gave up. NAPA GS, comparable model to what is recommended. I can't decipher the code, but it may be only 2 years old.

However, when I go to kick start it, there seems to be a gap where the kick starter mechanism doesn't fully engage the gear inside (nomenclature is not clear to me). I can't seem to get a full throw with the lever, so it rarely starts this way. I don't recall this being an issue previously, but I've never had to use the kick starter much before this.

Aside from having the battery load tested and possibly replaced (planned for tomorrow), what is the likely issue with the kick starter? Do I need to visit my friendly neighborhood Buddy/Vespa/Ural dealer for a check-up? With pretty decent mechanical skills and appropriate tools, is this something I can visually assess myself?

Thank you,

Bob
mnika

Post by mnika »

Kick starting the Buddy is a bit tricky but usually involves two kicks. With the first kick, you bring the lever down until you feel it sort of "engage." Then you come back up and quickly kick the lever all the way down. I've only done it a few times, so I haven't nailed down the routine yet. But if the issue is only with your battery/starter motor, etc, then it should start.

When's the last time you ran it?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I've had mixed results with the kickstarter. Sometimes I can get it, sometimes I can kick until I'm wheezing and it won't budge.

They're not as robust as kickstarters on say, a nice Vespa. You also have to make sure you're still squeezing the brake lever, or it won't start.

For as cheap as batteries are, I get a new one every few years regardless. I've had great luck with Chrome batteries from Amazon, and then a local auto parts store will usually give me a small refund or at least recycle the old one for free.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

skully93 wrote:I've had mixed results with the kickstarter. Sometimes I can get it, sometimes I can kick until I'm wheezing and it won't budge.

They're not as robust as kickstarters on say, a nice Vespa. You also have to make sure you're still squeezing the brake lever, or it won't start.

For as cheap as batteries are, I get a new one every few years regardless. I've had great luck with Chrome batteries from Amazon, and then a local auto parts store will usually give me a small refund or at least recycle the old one for free.

Correction, the brake lever only needs to be squeezed in order to use the electric starter. The kick start is not affected by the brake lever.
scootdad

Buddy 150 starting woes

Post by scootdad »

Update: battery load tested, and is not what you'd call robust, so it was recycled and replaced. Based on recommendations in previous threads, I opted for the Z10SXTA, about the same size and weight as the X7, but more power. topped off overnight with the Battery Tender.

I'll have to wait for the re-installation and testing until later next week. Thanks to those who pitched in with comments.

Bob
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Stanza is correct. You do NOT need to squeeze the brake level when kick-starting. It does help to turn the throttle just a bit before doing it.
scootdad

Buddy 150 starting woes

Post by scootdad »

Update: new battery, no more issues. Thanks for the tip on not needing brake lever for kick starting. That was a pain!