Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roughhouse 50 issues

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Black Cat, Rattler & Roughhouse Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
Author Message
Feral_Sparky
Member


Joined: 02 Feb 2011
Posts: 14


PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject: Roughhouse 50 issues Reply with quote

Alright guys and gals. So I installed the new enricher in the carb but the current problem I have goes as follows.

She will NOT idle when first started up. She's bogging down big time and flooding the carb. If I start it while giving it gas I can get it to run but its SUPER smokey. After say 30 seconds of playing with the throttle she will isle and run fine.

Ive taken the carb apart and sprayed all of the jets and passages and nothing is clogged up in any way.

Recorded a video of it for you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ-jOH6OAFE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Stanza
Member


Joined: 29 Jan 2018
Posts: 362
Location: Chicago
Puch Maxi, Honda C70

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The petcock getting stuck open isn't uncommon, the ethanol gas we're stuck with probably messes with the rubber diaphragm and sticks it open.

What kind of oil are you running?

How many miles on the bike?

If you start up the bike, get it to that super smokey state, and then take out the spark plug, is it covered in oil?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Feral_Sparky
Member


Joined: 02 Feb 2011
Posts: 14


PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanza wrote:
The petcock getting stuck open isn't uncommon, the ethanol gas we're stuck with probably messes with the rubber diaphragm and sticks it open.

What kind of oil are you running?

How many miles on the bike?

If you start up the bike, get it to that super smokey state, and then take out the spark plug, is it covered in oil?


I figured out what happened. Been thinking about it for a couple days and said to myself that I missed something.

Pulled the seat off again and looked down at the intake. Thought "Huh that dont look right"

Sure enough the adapter from the carb to the intake was upside down and the bike was choking for air. Flipped it around and double checked everything with the carb and she fired right up and idled perfectly.

As for oil I run Spectro 2T non synthetic oil.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Stanza
Member


Joined: 29 Jan 2018
Posts: 362
Location: Chicago
Puch Maxi, Honda C70

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feral_Sparky wrote:
Stanza wrote:
The petcock getting stuck open isn't uncommon, the ethanol gas we're stuck with probably messes with the rubber diaphragm and sticks it open.

What kind of oil are you running?

How many miles on the bike?

If you start up the bike, get it to that super smokey state, and then take out the spark plug, is it covered in oil?


I figured out what happened. Been thinking about it for a couple days and said to myself that I missed something.

Pulled the seat off again and looked down at the intake. Thought "Huh that dont look right"

Sure enough the adapter from the carb to the intake was upside down and the bike was choking for air. Flipped it around and double checked everything with the carb and she fired right up and idled perfectly.

As for oil I run Spectro 2T non synthetic oil.


Glad that was an easy one! However, I would strongly suggest bumping up to the Spectro Golden, as that meets the JASO FD requirement that these things had from the factory. The lower grade stuff might work, but you're risking problems at high rpm, and you'll definitely end up plugging the exhaust ahead of schedule.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Feral_Sparky
Member


Joined: 02 Feb 2011
Posts: 14


PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanza wrote:
Feral_Sparky wrote:
Stanza wrote:
The petcock getting stuck open isn't uncommon, the ethanol gas we're stuck with probably messes with the rubber diaphragm and sticks it open.

What kind of oil are you running?

How many miles on the bike?

If you start up the bike, get it to that super smokey state, and then take out the spark plug, is it covered in oil?


I figured out what happened. Been thinking about it for a couple days and said to myself that I missed something.

Pulled the seat off again and looked down at the intake. Thought "Huh that dont look right"

Sure enough the adapter from the carb to the intake was upside down and the bike was choking for air. Flipped it around and double checked everything with the carb and she fired right up and idled perfectly.

As for oil I run Spectro 2T non synthetic oil.


Glad that was an easy one! However, I would strongly suggest bumping up to the Spectro Golden, as that meets the JASO FD requirement that these things had from the factory. The lower grade stuff might work, but you're risking problems at high rpm, and you'll definitely end up plugging the exhaust ahead of schedule.


She's still not perfect but she's ride-able again. Going to soak the exhaust overnight to get any buildup removed once winter hits and once this oil is used up i'll switch to the golden. The guy I bought it from had been using.... lawnmower 2t oil that claimed it was injector approved. I doubt it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Black Cat, Rattler & Roughhouse Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

  Scootergear designed by riders for riders


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
All Content Copyright 2007-2011 by Modern Buddy. All Rights Reserved.