Locking a scooter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jfrost2

Locking a scooter

Post by jfrost2 »

Is it really necessary to buy a lock for a scooter? I dont think anyone is going to go out and say "I think i'll steal a scooter today!"

People plan on stealing when they walk by it and see it and no one is around, but I dont think anyone would steal a bike that easily unless they had a way of lifting it onto a truck real fast.

I am thinking of buying a cheap bike lock from bell, the package said it was strong enough to not be cut by many tools unless it's a cable cutter, but no one carries these around all the time.

I dont really want those giant thick chained locks, but just something that will work and is small and cheap.

Any input would be helpful, I wanted to put the luck through the rim of the front/back tire of the buddy, but most locks wont fit through the small cut outs in the rim except the lock I looked at.

In my own garage, I just use the steering lock, never know if some crazy neighbor in the area may break into my garage and try stealing the bike, but a simple steering lock will keep them from stealing it, them trying to break it or dismantle it, I'd probably check out what all the noise is and catch them.
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

i use my lock when it's not in plain sight, when i'm going to leave it very long, etc. and then i use a disc lock or a cable lock otherwise i just use the steering lock and depend on my full coverage insurance :wink: .

You'd be surpirsed though, the owner of my scooter store had her bike stolen and the guy was driving it around in her neighborhood, then came into the store asking how to repair the handlebar lock. plus a lot of scooter/motocycle thefts end in somone wrecking the bike or trashing it for "fun" people are stupid try not to let them play with your stuff.

i'm more worried about some kid or drunk idiot knocking it over or better still getting on it to pretend they're riding it. not a lot of locks can prevent that.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I don't know if you saw what I wrote in a previous post, but I use an OnGuard Rottweiler. I admit for most it is overkill, but for me, I work at Lowe's in the lumber department & I park it out front locked to the poles around the propane tank cages... The poles are about 4 and a half feet tall & I'm still paranoid that a couple of these super-buff dudes with trailers and loading equipment are gonna lift it over the top & take it home & sell it. Either that or just take the front tire off around the lock then put it back on. It's totally possible, at least for me, although I may be overly cautious... But my Bud's my pride-n-joy!
maribell

Post by maribell »

that is part of my motivation for getting a pink one.

stealing a scooter is one thing, but the pink has a limited target market. it's like stealing the pink lighter amongst a group of smokers. you know whose it was and who took it easily.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Odds are, you're scooter isn't going to be stolen if you're smart. Park smart, in visible areas and always lock up. That said, there are all sorts of thefts and mischief that can take place if you don't lock your bike to something.

Professional thieves cruise neighborhoods in trucks or vans looking for bikes that aren't locked down. If they find one, it takes less than a minute for two guys to lift a big motorcycle into a truck and drive off. If it's locked down, they'll need to spend time cutting the cable or chain so they may just move along to easier pickings. My concern is the casual thief, the guy who takes advantage of a crime of opportunity. There's really nothing you can do to stop the pros, all you can do is slow them down.

I work on a college campus so I'm more concerned about mischief ("look at the orange scooter on that roof!") than anything else. I use a good sized Kryptonite cable lock but I never lock to the wheels because the wheels are always filthy. I find a rack or something like that and wrap the cable around the steering head. Then I twist the two ends around each other about 3 times before locking to the rack. Not only do I not get dirty but my bike is relatively safe from thieves and can't even be tipped over by some jerk.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
afriendofcheese

Post by afriendofcheese »

I'm under the impression that scooter thefts are more common than you'd think. Still at work (a middle school) I only use the steering lock because I really don't have anywhere to lock it to. I'm more concerned about a disgruntled teen pushing it over or keying it! What's a good way to lock it up when there's nothing to lock it to?
I bought an On-Guard lock off of eBay from right around $16 and lock it up fairly often.
Rather than spending $50+ for a super duper lock, you might as well spend $50 more for a year of theft insurance and be lazy. That's how weird my line of thinking is.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Yeah, I lock mine with various degrees of protection as well.

At work it's the handlebar lock, disc lock and a cable lock.

At home it's parked inside so I just use the steering lock

At a store it's sometimes just the handlebar lock but also disc lock and I try to park in a well-trafficked area.

I used to take the cable lock out with me on errands, etc but I don't do that anymore. Too much hassle so I just take the risk.

gt1000's post above is right on. Can't stop the pros, but you can stop a casual crime of opportunity.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

I leave mine 1/2 assembled in my garage during the winter... even I can't ride it like that :lol:

Post by 360 »

afriendofcheese wrote:I'm under the impression that scooter thefts are more common than you'd think. Still at work (a middle school) I only use the steering lock because I really don't have anywhere to lock it to. I'm more concerned about a disgruntled teen pushing it over or keying it! What's a good way to lock it up when there's nothing to lock it to?
I bought an On-Guard lock off of eBay from right around $16 and lock it up fairly often.
Rather than spending $50+ for a super duper lock, you might as well spend $50 more for a year of theft insurance and be lazy. That's how weird my line of thinking is.
I don't know how effective it is, but when I can't lock it to something (which is most times) I just loop it through the tires and around the body...lock it to itself. Someone could still lift it (although the Blur is pretty heavy) but at least it looks more secure to most people. And looking secure may actually be more effective than BEING secure in many cases.

...but then I have theft coverage on my insurance to fall back on just in case.
GaryEPSP

Post by GaryEPSP »

360 wrote:
afriendofcheese wrote:I'm under the impression that scooter thefts are more common than you'd think. Still at work (a middle school) I only use the steering lock because I really don't have anywhere to lock it to. I'm more concerned about a disgruntled teen pushing it over or keying it! What's a good way to lock it up when there's nothing to lock it to?
I don't know how effective it is, but when I can't lock it to something (which is most times) I just loop it through the tires and around the body...lock it to itself. Someone could still lift it (although the Blur is pretty heavy) but at least it looks more secure to most people. And looking secure may actually be more effective than BEING secure in many cases.

...but then I have theft coverage on my insurance to fall back on just in case.
We toured Italy last summer and that's how they locked up. Ran a chain through the back wheel and up and around the seat. Most were not locked, but if it was, this is how they did it.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

The Comprehension portion of my insurance is $11.00 (with $100.00 deductible).
The Theft Surcharge is only $1.00 ! ! :shock:

Keep in mind I live in a very safe suburb and my credit score is waaaay up there. But still, I think adding the theft coverage is well worth even if it was $50.00. Piece of mind for that one time you forget the lock and you are all nervous and thinking there is a thief out there ready to take it as soon as you walk away.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Locking a scooter

Post by illnoise »

jfrost2 wrote:Is it really necessary to buy a lock for a scooter? I dont think anyone is going to go out and say "I think i'll steal a scooter today!"
You'd be surprised, it happens every day. here are 682 of them:
http://scoot.net/stolen/

Lock it up tight, and insure the hell out of it.

Bryan
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I read scoot.net alot so I know people get their bikes stolen alot, and I've seen 3 or 4 buddies stolen too.

I'll be looking for more locks now, do you guys recommend the kind where you spin the numbers to make a combination? Or do you just recommend a key and pad lock type of chain?
GaryEPSP

Re: Locking a scooter

Post by GaryEPSP »

illnoise wrote:
jfrost2 wrote:Is it really necessary to buy a lock for a scooter? I dont think anyone is going to go out and say "I think i'll steal a scooter today!"
You'd be surprised, it happens every day. here are 682 of them:
http://scoot.net/stolen/

Lock it up tight, and insure the hell out of it.

Bryan
Agreed, two guys, a minivan, and ten seconds is all it takes. And there are plenty of people that get up in the morning and say, "I am going to steal a scooter today."
Kurzer

Post by Kurzer »

Picked up a Bomber Disc Lock from Battle Scooter. Mainly because it looks cool, but my wife works for a lock importer and I get to hear why 99% of locks suck. The Bomber matches the style of locks that fit into the 1% that don't suck I'm allowed to buy. 8)
I don't do much modding on the scoot anymore, just riding :-)
GaryEPSP

Post by GaryEPSP »

I've heard good things about this; http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcyc ... grip-lock/

Easy on and easy off, also more visible than a disc lock.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I've got the kryptonite "fugehdaboutit" (sp) chain & lock.

Get the best lock & chain you can find for your new scooter. I dunno about Englewood, but here in Philly, there's tons of kids who wander around with Daddy's tools ready to snip and steal.

ModBud #442
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Those On-Guards are fantastic, they're a bit harder to find, but worth it. They come with a lighted key, a case, a reminder thingy, and four extra keys (which you'll lose all at once, which is OK because they'll fedex you a key if you call them with the number that you left on the keychain with the four keys you lost, but that's your fault if you messed up the situation that badly, ha).

Be careful what you lock to, a cordless sawzall could cut through your rack or a chain link fence post in seconds (though even that makes a big difference and attracts attention). I think Buddies have forks on both sides, but I used to lock my old Vespa around the fork until someone showed me you could just lift it over the tire on the other side. Twist up any slack, that helps a lot, and again, no lock is as useful as good insurance.

I know a lot of people who had scooters stolen, and I don't want to say it was their fault, but most of them could have done a lot more to protect it. Most were left overnight in a dark but public place, and not locked to anything, tha'ts just about putting a sign on it that says "Steal Me." People do wake up in the morning with the plan to steal scooters, but even more just see a tempting target (especially when it's parked the same place day after day, unlocked, and they know your schedule) and it might just be too tempting to resist, they're easy to lift, easy to transport, and easy to sell for a quick buck. They're also easy to hotwire and joyride, then throw in a dumpster.
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

I’m not trying to be difficult here, but I just don't see the point in disc locks. They seems redundant to the steering lock. It doesn't fix the issues of lifting the front tire off the ground and wheeling the scoot away on its back tire. With the throttle locks couldn’t you just snap off the break lever and drive off? Again I hardly ever use any lock other than the steering lock, but I am not leaving the bike out in the open at night. I also rarely leave it in one location for more than a few hours. There are certain areas in town where I have been known to lock it up with a bicycle lock. With the cost of some off these chain locks I would rather just pay the deductable and get a new bike if mine disappears.

I’ve only heard of one SI Buddy being stolen in Cincinnati and it was recovered a few days later. Ultimately it depends where you live and your comfort level to determine what means are necessary to secure your scoot.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I use my disc lock as a theft deterrent when I'm out and about in Center City, shopping or dining during the day. I can't always chain up to a pole. To me, a disc lock is simply a bit of peace of mind, knowing that some jerk will have two locks to overcome before they can just wheel Pinky away as if she were theirs.
ModBud #442
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

A disc lock works well as far as crimes of opportunity go. Again, if you run into a pro who really wants your bike, your bike is gone. It's a known fact that the more you make a thief think about what he's doing, the less likely he is to steal. So, if you're concerned, lock the column, use a disc lock and some sort of cable or chain. The more he has to deal with the more likely he is to move on to easier prey.

And while I'm all in favor of good insurance I'd rather not have my bike stolen. Any time that happens, you have to deal with insurance companies, the police and the DMV. You also have to find a replacement and the scoot you actually want may not be available for a few months. Plus, however long you're waiting on paperwork and the delivery of your replacement, you're not riding.

What seems like a minor inconvenience really isn't all that minor. You lose lots of time, you will lose some money and you'll feel pretty silly about it all if you could have avoided it by taking an extra 30 seconds to lock up your bike.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
golfinguy

Post by golfinguy »

Anything to deter is good. Disk locks and handlebar locks will deter the opportunity 30 second thief as stated. Scooter thefts? We live in a part of Atlanta now that is not known for its scooter thievery, but the Vino I started out with was a refurbished theft recovery, and my 2 friends had theirs in the 'safe' parking area of one of the nicest condo buildings in Midtown and they had about $300 damage from an attempted theft. The thieves were about 10 seconds from having them both, but they didn't know it or got scared off.

Accessibility is a big factor - being a little out of the way (off the street, but not in a dark private corner), locks that are visible, and covers are all good. Personally I think leaving your scooter covered is likely as big a deterrent as the lock.

Locks are cheap, scooters less so :)
From our wonderful Buddy 50 service manual:
ass’ part loose
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

golfinguy wrote:Anything to deter is good. Disk locks and handlebar locks will deter the opportunity 30 second thief as stated.
I don't know how strong the Buddy's column lock is, but some scooters' can be broken with a strong yank on the handlebars. So in that case, the disc lock is a good way to make sure it can't be rolled away. But aside from that, I don't really see the point of disc locks for scooters (and I've tried a couple that don't fit the holes in my disc anyway). I worry about riding off with it in place, too, I'm dumb enough to do that even with a reminder cable, though that's just about changing my habits, I guess.

A disc lock won't stop two guys from throwing it into a truck or van, they can cut it off later (and if they can't, it's still stolen), i'd lock it TO something.
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

I was in Italy in 05 and I saw a guy on a Vespa try to drive off with the disc lock on. He looked pretty embarrassed. Seems like it could do a lot of damage to the front brake.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

toddrw2251 wrote:I was in Italy in 05 and I saw a guy on a Vespa try to drive off with the disc lock on. He looked pretty embarrassed. Seems like it could do a lot of damage to the front brake.
Yeah i have one with the little orange cord. No way I'd drive off with that on.

There is also one that has an alarm if you move it which functions as, well, and alarm to deter thieves as well as an alarm that you left it on!
GaryEPSP

Post by GaryEPSP »

I think anything that costs a thief some time will help. But, I have to admit, I don't lock mine except for the column lock. I just tell myself, "You have insurance, don't have a cow."
golfinguy

Post by golfinguy »

toddrw2251 wrote:I was in Italy in 05 and I saw a guy on a Vespa try to drive off with the disc lock on. He looked pretty embarrassed. Seems like it could do a lot of damage to the front brake.
Good points. I was referring to the grip locks, which to me are in the same category as the disc locks - visble deterrent primarily.
From our wonderful Buddy 50 service manual:
ass’ part loose
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

illnoise wrote:Those On-Guards are fantastic, they're a bit harder to find, but worth it. They come with a lighted key, a case, a reminder thingy, and four extra keys...
I got my On-Guard Rottweiler from Solano Cycle in St.Augustine, FL. They have a deal where they buy direct from manufacturer rather than through the regular distributer, so I got mine for $30 and they will sell it to anyone for that price, not just cuz I bought my scoot from them.

If you try to buy it anywhere else it will be AT LEAST DOUBLE that! :shock:

It's CRAZY impenetrable. I don't really know how much shipping would be tho... Prolly not too bad.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Oh yeah, any one know if this will fit a Buddy?

http://www.motosport.com/harley/product ... nav=&sMMY=

8) awesome.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I lock mine up with an Onguard Beast chain lock... depending on where I am and the logistics of what I'm going to lock it to, I often run a Kryptonite New York U-lock through part of the center stand and then the Beast through that. When possible I cover it up too, since I always figured a new-looking bright orange Buddy might catch someone's eye more than "whatever's under the gray mystery cover." Maybe overkill, but a Buddy got stolen in Boston a year or so I go I believe...
Kurzer

Post by Kurzer »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Oh yeah, any one know if this will fit a Buddy?

http://www.motosport.com/harley/product ... nav=&sMMY=

8) awesome.
Yes it will, that's the one I purchased not long ago... looks kewl :wink:
I don't do much modding on the scoot anymore, just riding :-)
Wiggins

Post by Wiggins »

I don't lock it right now, but will in the near future. I just bought mine two weeks ago and bike + safety gear + lock was too much for the budget. Tomarrow I get paid and a NY noose will be on it's way to my door.

I am a cop in a medium sized county. I know there are currently two groups in my area using trucks and vans to snatch small mc's and scoots right now, plus a handfull of enterprising individuals taking targets of opportunity. It is just too easy and low risk to steal small mc's for the badguys to resist. The ignitions on most bike are crap and easy to punch, most of the bikes are either unchained or secured by a under-secured by cheap locks, and mc license plate are almost impossible to read from a distance, or when the bike is moving (especially form a moving patrol car).

I don't know a lot of peole who wake up in the morning thinking I am going to steal a scooter today, but I know a TON of people who wake up thinking they are going to steal everything they can today!

Most thieves carry all the tools they would need to steal your scoot. Bolt cutters, screw drivers, a hacksaw, pocket knives,, a box cutter, a hammer, a small flashlight, wire cutters, and pliers are all standard items in a thiefs kit; and it is rare to find them without these tools nearby if they don't have them in hand. Even if they don't have bolt cutters the cheap bike chains are not a deterent. I have interviewed guys who bragged about cutting them with wire cutters, gardening shears, and even pocket knives. They know they can beat the cheap stuff quickly.

My advice for making sure your scoot is there when you come back to it is: buy the best tether (chain or cable) you can afford, lock your scoot to the most solid object you can, and park it in a highly visible location. Also write down your license plate or VIN number and carry it with your wallet/purse so that if it does get stolen you have immediate access to all the info the cops need to start looking for the scoot. Call 911 (it sounds strange but a lot of people will simply go and look for a cop or go to the nearest police station because they feel bad using the emergency lines) and give that information to the call taker so the cops can start looking for the bike before they even take your statement.

If you interupt the theft make all the noise you can, but I would caution anyone against trying to intervene physically. You may beat the thief up, you may scare the thief away, but you might not. If the thief stands his ground to fight there is a good chance he has a weapon, and you shouldn't try to get in his way if you aren't ready to kill someone over your scoot. I had a case recently where a former state champ wrestler tried to stop a thief from taking his car. He started grappling with the thief and was doing pretty good until the thief pulled out a knife and started stabbing the guy in the chest.

I carry a gun everywhere I go, I do perimeter and hasty arrest work for my area's SWAT team, and I would let them take my buddy.

Kyle
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Also, this doesn't get mentioned a lot, but watch your accessories, too... I live in the big city, but this stuff could happen anywhere:

-Topboxes are not very secure, NEVER leave valuables in a topbox while the scooter is unattended. No matter how good the lock is, someone can pry off the whole thing in no time.

-Underseat storage is a bit safer, if only because it's less obvious, but it's still not too hard to break into. Good for your helmet, bad for your iPhone.

-License plates, registration stickers, and parking/city decals also get stolen a lot. (there are a LOT of illegal/stolen/untitled scooters out there that need plates to appear legit) Use theft-proof nuts and a solid license plate frame to avoid getting your plate stolen (some NYC people have a velcro license plate and take it off when they park, but that'll just get you towed, most places). After you apply your parking decals or city decals, cut an "X" through the sticker with a razor blade, so someone tries to peel them off, they won't get the whole thing.

-If you have a GPS or phone/ipod/bluetooth power rig, the mounts are going to attract attention, and thieves might assume the hardware is in your bike somewhere, so do all you can to put away or hide any cables, brackets, etc.
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

Ok, Iv only browsed through this thread, but Im looking for an Alarm that I can attach to my scooter, that Will Not void the warranty. I mostly park in very safe places, but I would be happy if I had an alarm on my scoot. I bough a motorcycle cable lock so i could lock it it itself, but it is too big to go through the spokes in the tire. What is your opinion?
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Valgal20 wrote:Ok, Iv only browsed through this thread, but Im looking for an Alarm that I can attach to my scooter… What is your opinion?
I'm not a fan of the noisy alarms, they drain your battery and everyone ignores them, and you usually can't hear it from wherever you are. Most of them are either junky and don't work well, or are too expensive. It also might end up just getting you noise tickets when someone brushes against your scooter or it's windy.

There are scooter Lo-Jacks and a new style of alarm that calls your cell phone when the scooter is bumped or moved, but they're expensive and require a monthly service fee. If I had a one-of-a-kind $20,000 bike, I'd get one of those, but for a $3000 scooter, I'd just upgrade my insurance and buy a better lock or pay for more secure parking, if that was an option.
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

I want an alarm, A SPECIAL Alarm, like a Chicken Clucking, that would get people's attention. Im usually in a rush and just lock the steering. O' course my mum burst that safety bubble, I had it locked to one side, and she still managed to drag it into the garage (it has a new scratch now too) Freakin Garage! I CANT even get in there to get my scooter! I do have full coverage, but I would feel safer with an alarm- Perhaps solar powered?
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Valgal20 wrote:I want an alarm, A SPECIAL Alarm, like a Chicken Clucking, that would get people's attention.
Oh man, you of all people need this:

http://www.dinosaursandrobots.com/2008/ ... rglar.html
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

Dude that is Odd! But I do like the sound it is suppose to make- DEEEOOO. (atleast thats what the picture says)
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I would like to see a scooter alarm, but on a buddy there isnt much space unless you want to take away your under seat storage.

I wish the front and back brakes would lock until the key is inserted, but I guess even if you are super secured, there is always some way to steal a scooter, even if it is getting a friend and a truck and lifting it in.
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

Perhaps I should just attach an angry nest of hornets I can keep in a jar, then when I leave the scooter, I leave the jar open- Wa La! No one will bother my scoot, and Ill just carry a smoking can with me- How does that sound? :twisted: Or perhaps some other irate animal I can carry around in a jar or topcase. Yea, have an angry oposum in my pet carrier, whoever steals that will have an interesting time :D
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Sounds good in theory... Never underestimate the power of the angry BADGER! 8)

It could totally work, just hook a carrier to the rear rack like you said (containing the rabid, disgruntled animal of your choice), rig it to where if there is pressure on the seat, handles, anything stuck in the ignition, or any wheel movement, the latch on the cage swings open!!! YAY! Maybe you could also have some sort of gun that shoots something delicious at the burglar so the animal can enjoy the attack just a bit more... :wink:
redding

Post by redding »

I bought this disc lock, mostly as a deterrent: http://www.newenoughhp.com/accessories/ ... alarm.html

It has an alarm, not too obnoxious, and it will go off if someone tries to force the steering or move the scooter.

I also have this on it at home: http://www.newenoughhp.com/accessories/ ... _lock.html

These two locks and a cover, it sat outside from early December until now, and I live in a so-so neighborhood in a bad city. The alarmed disc lock uses a regular AAA battery -- four months of having that on without a break, and the batteries are still good.

The Bully chain is actually bigger than my Oxford chain and the lock part is comparable to an OnGuard cable lock I have on my other scoot.

In terms of grip locks, I have a bright yellow one on my Honda. Like the disc lock, it's mostly a deterrant to the juvenile delinquents roaming the streets of Philadelphia. It's worked so far.
Apiarist

Post by Apiarist »

I do not have my scooter yet, but when I do for security, I plan on taking the key out of the ignition, using a cover, and with a little help from my friend at the zoo, piling a 2 foot wall of various animal dung around the perimeter of my scooter. Now that's secure!!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I found out most people dont know how to get the center stand down, they shake, whack, and rock the buddy to get the center stand down, and still fail. The stand itself is a nice security lock lol.
Lisa I

Post by Lisa I »

I haven't been riding very long and only rarely have left it outside somewhere (so I don't know how effective my method really is) but I use the steering lock and a grip lock.

I suspect if someone REALLY wants my scooter, they're gonna get past this, but it should be a deterrent...maybe they'll bother the ride next to mine instead. ;)
Scootden

Post by Scootden »

My first scooter was a Vespa ET2..it was stolen last November. Right outside my condo. It was locked to a pole, with a "scooter lock" beefy cable. The Steering lock was also on. They clipped right through the lock then twisted the steering til it broke.
It was recovered a block away, apparently they weren't to bright and didn't realise they broke the steering column.

Fortunately I had it insured and came away making money on the deal. Which is why I now have my kitted out buddy.

Knowing I was going to be keeping it in the same place and not wanting this one to be stolen I designed a small frame made out of steel that i bolted to the ground. As you can see the u-stem goes over the "leg area" of the scoot and I lock it down using 2 "puck" locks. The pucks are very hard to cut. A friend at the firehouse welded it together...whole thing cost me $60.
Is it theft proof? No. But they will need either a portable torch or a grinder and some time to get it.

josh
Attachments
er p.jpg
er p.jpg (17.38 KiB) Viewed 3036 times
smaller.jpg
smaller.jpg (84.21 KiB) Viewed 3036 times
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Scootden wrote: Knowing I was going to be keeping it in the same place and not wanting this one to be stolen I designed a small frame made out of steel that i bolted to the ground.

josh
you and your fire fighter friend need to develop it and market it. you guys have the beginning of a good new scooter product :)
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I'd like public motorcycle and scooter locking post installed every 10 feet on every major street and every business parking lot. Much easier :)
JokerJim

Post by JokerJim »

I'd buy one of those.

Joker
Mmmmm Crab Rangoon
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

I'd definitely buy one... just refine it a bit more and it's golden