2020 Buddy Kick

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Ferniesp

2020 Buddy Kick

Post by Ferniesp »

Just bought one. Put a K-Max container and she’s all set. I rode a 170i for a week on my commute and I can say for sure that the buddy kick has a better ride and is almost as powerful. [/b]
Ootscoot

Post by Ootscoot »

I agree - having a 170i Hooligan and a 125 Buddy for two years, I am now enjoying my new Buddy Kick. It is very comfortable, handles well with plenty of Kick. I enabled the lower front turn signals, added the rear rack and topcase and the small windscreen. It’s become my favorite ride!
Ex-Scooter dealer, current scooter rider, scooter owner...
Ferniesp

Post by Ferniesp »

I connected the front dead lights in 10 minutes. Has anyone here installed the lights on their KMAX?
350kmi

Post by 350kmi »

I was interested to see a direct comparison between the Buddy 170i and the Kick. For the last 7 years/32,000 miles I have been commuting on a 170i and while it is still running fine I have been considering changing it up a bit. The Kick caught my eye when it came out, but my local dealer doesn't stock it (95% of their business if 50cc scoots) so I haven't been able to compare them myself.

I ride about 42 miles a day in a mix of city and country roads. Given the Kick is a little smaller physically and has lower engine displacement, I worry it might not as good for my propose as my 170i. My main concern are the couple sections of 55 MPH roadway on the ride (1 to 3 miles at a time) - the 170i doesn't have trouble keeping up with traffic in these sections cruising at 60-63 (GPS) mph, but wonder if the a Kick might struggle more. It looks like the Kick is generally a little more technically advanced (4-valve head, dual rear shocks, dual disc brakes) than the standard Buddies and I wonder if that offsets the size/displacement differences. Have you done much higher speed riding on your Kick? How does it compared in your experience of Kick and 170i?
Ferniesp

Post by Ferniesp »

I rode a 4 year old 170i for about 4 days and it was a commute ride to work. I don’t donfreeways and never will.
I weigh 210 and I have no problem on 45 to 50 mph. Any faster then that is a no no for me.

My observation. The kick has dual shocks and it just feels better when you hit a crack at 45 mph. The 170i was good but the kick was better. Honestly, I can’t tell that much of a power difference, I just don’t sense it or feel it. You may feel different.
The gas tank is way easier to fill on the kick. The electronic display looks better as well.
I am convinced that the kick gets better gas mileage. I tested it out and my kick gas gauge flashes at 85 miles every time. I wondered how far it would go after that. I went to 130 miles on a full tank. Not too shabby.
Ootscoot

Post by Ootscoot »

I rode a 170i (both the Buddy 170i and the Hooligan) for 2 years. Part of my usual route is 2 mi of 45 to 55 mph. The Kick has no problem with these speeds. In fact the Kick has a more stable ride than the 170 at these speeds. I like the off the line acceleration and manueverability. The bike feels more solid and tight, and very comfortable. Happy with it so far.
Ex-Scooter dealer, current scooter rider, scooter owner...
350kmi

Post by 350kmi »

Excellent. Thank you both for sharing your Kick experiences.