K-Max topcase: mini review

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

C2

K-Max topcase: mini review

Post by C2 »

Hey all,

I just replaced my stock Genuine top case with a new K-max topcase I got from Scooterworks. So I thought I would throw out a few things I noticed about it and its instillation.

Installation:
It comes with all the hardware you need, but you will need to already have a rear rack on your scooter. Since this was a replacement of my old topcase... I was all set.

I removed the old case, and the plate that came with it. about 10 min worth of work. Once it was all off, I need to mount the new plate.

Setup:
The K-max plate is a "universal" fit; it has plenty of mounting holes to line up to just about any configuration. I did a dry fit with the plate attached to the case, so I could see... more or less.. where I would have to mount the plate. Once I had that worked out, it was time to mount the plate to the rack.

Attaching the plate:
This is where I ran into an issue. The screws are meant to go thru the plate, thru the mounting clips and then in to the washer and screw. However, I found that the screws were too short to do this (closest to the back of the scooter), and get a good grip on the existing rack. If there were about 1/4" longer they would be perfect.

So I ended up re-using a set of long screws from my previous topcase for the set near the back, the K-max screws for the end, and re-purposed one last set of long screws and bracket for the middle for added strength.

Verdict:
You may need to seek longer screws to do the installation on your scooter; I just don't thing you can do it with the supplied screws. The case is pretty solid and held my big-giant helmet easily. It should hold my computer bag and lunch cooler with ease. Not bad for $120. YMMV.

Pix:

The old case:

The plate attached

Underside of the plate

The new case

sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Being a SHAD fan I have to admit that the K's are very nice looking, and the correct color match is a plus. I take it the trunk opens with a key only? You gonna add the back rest or the LED lights? Does it flex any when flying over rail road tracks? Any rattles? Update us after putting some miles on it please.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

I was very impressed with the quality. The LED kit will be a fun touch, too.
C2

Post by C2 »

dasscooter wrote:I was very impressed with the quality. The LED kit will be a fun touch, too.
That's my next purchase.. as soon as they are back in stock. The new case sticks out farther than the old one, so the extra visibility form the LEDs will help. :wink:
Blurry B-Dog

Post by Blurry B-Dog »

Your scooter looks great! Thanks for the review. I've bought a white K-Max 30L case for my new-to-me Blur SS220i. I will be getting it installed hopefully this weekend when I have my break-in service done on the Blur (I bought it with less than 30 miles on her). I've already installed the rear rack and the Genuine branded windshield. I'm looking forward to having the case on there! I'll be able to do errands for real on the scoot (and not have to borrow my wife's 2008 Vespa GTS250ie).
Sincerely,
Blurry B-Dog
2013 Blur SS220i, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R
Maryland Heights, Missouri
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

Does it close easy and secure? My Soft case is a pain in the ass. It always takes multiple tries to get it to latch.
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddyOTR/">
Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog</a>
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddy.snakeoiler">
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

BigDaddy SnakeOiler wrote:Does it close easy and secure? My Soft case is a pain in the ass. It always takes multiple tries to get it to latch.
I have the same problem with my Soft case, too. I'm about ready to ditch it, honestly, and I'm just waiting to hear more about the K-Max case before I take the plunge and buy it.
Blurry B-Dog

Post by Blurry B-Dog »

I've had no trouble getting my K-Max top case to close or open. It's a nice piece of equipment, aside from the thin layer of padding on the bottom which moves around more than I'd like inside the case. A bit of glue or plasti-tack will probably fix that. I really like the case overall, and I can definitely recommend it. The white case matches my white Blur perfectly (ignore my avatar photo - working on fixing that).

I was also told by the local Genuine dealer that K-Max is the new "official" supplier for top cases. I can see why!
Sincerely,
Blurry B-Dog
2013 Blur SS220i, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R
Maryland Heights, Missouri
C2

Post by C2 »

So I'm three months in, and all is well. The case works really well, holds my laptop (in its bag) and my lunch for those days I scoot to work. Easy to close and feels nice and solid.

The only issue I've had is it just fits my helmet (Shoei RF-1000), if there is nothing else in there. This is a minor thing to me as I usually put my helmet in the pet carrier anyway.

I'm hoping that the LED kit will be available soon - it's been 3 months and nothing from Scooterworks about it :(
hpage3

Looking for a K-Max top case in Brit Racing Green

Post by hpage3 »

I am looking for a top case to match my 2016 Buddy 170i in British Racing Green. as I'm looking to replace a cheap top case which has a lid that vibrates loudly when bike is running. Please send me any leads on this to howard.page@comcast.net. I can't find one anywhere! Thanks
Purzell

Topcase seems nice enough but plate mounting seems crummy

Post by Purzell »

I just installed this topcase on my friend's new Seafoam Buddy 125. I also noticed that the screws are too short and they're actually phillips screws, not bolts. Because I only had the screws that came with it, I had to install the clamps onto the thinner bars of the rack: not ideal. The screw heads are very soft and actually burrow into the plastic of the rack when you tighten them down. I am not a fan of this installation, to be honest. I would like to replace the crummy screws with a bolt, and I don't understand why there isn't a washer under the screw head between the screw head and the top of the plastic plate, to keep the screw from burrowing into the soft plastic. I also found it very difficult to get the front of the box to latch into the plate.
I like how the OP mounted the rack using an additional long brace underneath because even clamped down as tightly as a dared (screws disappearing into the plastic kept me from tightening even more) I still had some slight movement from the rack. All in all this took me way longer than it should have and I'm not convinced that it's as securely mounted as it could be. Disappointed.
hpage3

Kmax top case

Post by hpage3 »

Sorry I was mistaken on the color name. The case I'm looking for is OXFORD GREEN to match my Buddy 170i which is OXFORD GREEN with the White racing stripe on the front. NOT British Racing Green. Thanks.
Legull

Post by Legull »

I had mine for couple months and i also got the lights kit installed. Just this g as i was driving to work, i got a bump and i heard an odd noise. I looked behind me when i stopped at the light and my kmax case was hanging down. I pulled off and looked at it and noticed that it was barely hanging on with one bracket and the others were missing and shows signs of having been broken off. So basically, the bracket is poorly made plastic and can't take much. I'm very disappointed as my original case later for sooo long and this one only lasted a couple months.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

one thing,
I'd of put some rubber between that bottom bracket and the chrome rack to keep it from getting scratched up.

otherwise :clap:
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
a2dmusic

Re: Kmax top case

Post by a2dmusic »

hpage3 wrote:Sorry I was mistaken on the color name. The case I'm looking for is OXFORD GREEN to match my Buddy 170i which is OXFORD GREEN with the White racing stripe on the front. NOT British Racing Green. Thanks.
If you find one, let me know. My dealer told me this is their most popular color (along with Pamplona), so why it seems to be hard to find a matching case is BEYOND me. Sigh.
2017 Buddy 170i
2013 Yamaha Majesty 400
w6euh

Post by w6euh »

Thank you for your review, C2 (I know it was 2 years ago, but I just found it.)

Still on the fence about the K-Max 30L topcase, because of the issues mentioned by Purzell and Legull.
Sent a message to Scooterworks asking them if they have acknowledged and addressed those issues. We'll see.

I wish the original Genuine top case was still available... May I ask why you replaced it?

Also... I like your seat! If you don't mind my asking, what's the brand/model and where did you buy it?

---
Marcelo
Peace and ride safe!

C2

Post by C2 »

w6euh wrote:I wish the original Genuine top case was still available... May I ask why you replaced it?

Also... I like your seat! If you don't mind my asking, what's the brand/model and where did you buy it?

---
Marcelo
Hey there.... just now saw this, not really active here anymore.

I replaced the original Buddy top case because it has busted, and was not really fixable.

The seat is a customized seat I bought from another MB member. I'm a big guy (6' 2") and the original "2-up" seat was just not working for me.
w6euh

Post by w6euh »

Thanks C2!
Peace and ride safe!

Ferniesp

Buddy Kick KMAX

Post by Ferniesp »

Love the container but the mounting is horrible. I went to work this morning and within a few minutes I heard some noise. I stopped quickly and just like the other post, the brackets came loose and I lost one. Luckily I was not on the main road doing 40 or I would have killed someone. It was a bad enough that I had a mini heart attack when I saw it.
Called scooter works and they said it was the way I mounted it and I didn’t go tight enough. Right!!! Any tighter and it’s adios plastic bracket. They are send me new brackets and I will put as many as will fit and and a few zip ties to seal the deal. I may have to put another bracket on their for peace of mind.
Conclusion: Nice box, crappy crappy mounting design.