Roughhouse 50 issues

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Feral_Sparky

Roughhouse 50 issues

Post by Feral_Sparky »

Alright guys and gals. So I installed the new enricher in the carb but the current problem I have goes as follows.

She will NOT idle when first started up. She's bogging down big time and flooding the carb. If I start it while giving it gas I can get it to run but its SUPER smokey. After say 30 seconds of playing with the throttle she will isle and run fine.

Ive taken the carb apart and sprayed all of the jets and passages and nothing is clogged up in any way.

Recorded a video of it for you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ-jOH6OAFE
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

The petcock getting stuck open isn't uncommon, the ethanol gas we're stuck with probably messes with the rubber diaphragm and sticks it open.

What kind of oil are you running?

How many miles on the bike?

If you start up the bike, get it to that super smokey state, and then take out the spark plug, is it covered in oil?
Feral_Sparky

Post by Feral_Sparky »

Stanza wrote:The petcock getting stuck open isn't uncommon, the ethanol gas we're stuck with probably messes with the rubber diaphragm and sticks it open.

If you start up the bike, get it to that super smokey state, and then take out the spark plug, is it covered in oil?
I figured out what happened. Been thinking about it for a couple days and said to myself that I missed something.

Pulled the seat off again and looked down at the intake. Thought "Huh that dont look right"

Sure enough the adapter from the carb to the intake was upside down and the bike was choking for air. Flipped it around and double checked everything with the carb and she fired right up and idled perfectly.

As for oil I run Spectro 2T non synthetic oil.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Feral_Sparky wrote:
Stanza wrote:The petcock getting stuck open isn't uncommon, the ethanol gas we're stuck with probably messes with the rubber diaphragm and sticks it open.

I figured out what happened. Been thinking about it for a couple days and said to myself that I missed something.

Pulled the seat off again and looked down at the intake. Thought "Huh that dont look right"

Sure enough the adapter from the carb to the intake was upside down and the bike was choking for air. Flipped it around and double checked everything with the carb and she fired right up and idled perfectly.

Glad that was an easy one! However, I would strongly suggest bumping up to the Spectro Golden, as that meets the JASO FD requirement that these things had from the factory. The lower grade stuff might work, but you're risking problems at high rpm, and you'll definitely end up plugging the exhaust ahead of schedule.
Feral_Sparky

Post by Feral_Sparky »

Stanza wrote:
Feral_Sparky wrote:

Glad that was an easy one! However, I would strongly suggest bumping up to the Spectro Golden, as that meets the JASO FD requirement that these things had from the factory. The lower grade stuff might work, but you're risking problems at high rpm, and you'll definitely end up plugging the exhaust ahead of schedule.
She's still not perfect but she's ride-able again. Going to soak the exhaust overnight to get any buildup removed once winter hits and once this oil is used up i'll switch to the golden. The guy I bought it from had been using.... lawnmower 2t oil that claimed it was injector approved. I doubt it.
OBX Dan

Post by OBX Dan »

Feral_Sparky wrote:

Well that worked out well. Congrats on figuring it out. Sometimes you just need to step back for a bit and clear your mind before you dive back in.

As far as oil goes, don't let anyone sway you. The best on the market is Motul710 full synth. Shop around online and you should be able to get it in the $16-$18 range. More than one mechanic has told me on rebuilds an engine that uses Motul710 has a noticeably smoother cylinder. Scuffing is not noticeable. Again, congrats on the fix.
Feral_Sparky

Post by Feral_Sparky »

OBX Dan wrote:
Feral_Sparky wrote:

Well that worked out well. Congrats on figuring it out. Sometimes you just need to step back for a bit and clear your mind before you dive back in.

As far as oil goes, don't let anyone sway you. The best on the market is Motul710 full synth. Shop around online and you should be able to get it in the $16-$18 range. More than one mechanic has told me on rebuilds an engine that uses Motul710 has a noticeably smoother cylinder. Scuffing is not noticeable. Again, congrats on the fix.
And I guess the troubles continue. Was riding home from work today and the engine completely died on me. Sounds like it's lost all compression. Time to tear the engine apart to see what failed.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Well shoot. Sorry to hear it! I wonder if that intake spacer being upside down, choking off the air, wasn't masking another problem that you discovered by letting it breathe properly. You said you cleaned the carb, but I wonder if it was still running a hair lean. Once you get it apart, I guess you'll see whether it overheated (bluing on the piston and a smooth smear of the rings) or whether it had an oil problem (sharper looking scuffing of the piston/rings)
Feral_Sparky

Post by Feral_Sparky »

Stanza wrote:Well shoot. Sorry to hear it! I wonder if that intake spacer being upside down, choking off the air, wasn't masking another problem that you discovered by letting it breathe properly. You said you cleaned the carb, but I wonder if it was still running a hair lean. Once you get it apart, I guess you'll see whether it overheated (bluing on the piston and a smooth smear of the rings) or whether it had an oil problem (sharper looking scuffing of the piston/rings)
The intake gasket choking it for air lasted all of a single day of riding and it was immediate. I had been working on the carb just before that and it was an immediate performance issue.

Pulled the head to look inside and everything seem's to be in order. Nothing appears to be broken, no scoring on the piston walls of something let loose. Checked the reed's, nothing broken there. Took a flash light and peered down into the crank while spinning the motor over a few times. Crank shaft and such look good. Nothing loose or rattling around.

I'm thinking it might be electrical. Going to do a compression test on Monday on my day off. Run it up to the shop so I can properly tear it down and check over everything and check the electrical.
Feral_Sparky

Starting the tear down

Post by Feral_Sparky »

Going to tear the engine down and check over every single component as well as cleaning everything up. Ive taken a few parts off already. I'll be doing the rest in a couple days when I take it up to the shop where all my tools are and I can get to work.

Feral_Sparky

Post by Feral_Sparky »

Alright, so I just tore the head apart and found the culprit. She was still running lean and siezed the piston rings to the piston. She was only making 30psi of compression.

So I gotta figure out were the lean issue is coming from. Going to replace the top end and every single gasket on this engine. Going to give it a deep bath and just clean it to spotless so its easier to find any leaks.\

This also lines up with the previous owner's claims of it just dying on him. He ran it like dog crap though and had no idea how to fix an engine.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Well, while you have it apart, you may as well check the reeds, and the oil seal on the crankshaft. Doesn't take much to give these motors a complete refresh.
Feral_Sparky

Post by Feral_Sparky »

Stanza wrote:Well, while you have it apart, you may as well check the reeds, and the oil seal on the crankshaft. Doesn't take much to give these motors a complete refresh.
Found the first leak. The bottom gasket for the head was gone. Guess the last owner put it back together without it.
Feral_Sparky

Post by Feral_Sparky »

Feral_Sparky

Post by Feral_Sparky »