Blackjack 150 Diagnostic help

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Blackjack150DET

Blackjack 150 Diagnostic help

Post by Blackjack150DET »

Well here I am. After exhausting amount of hours spent on this forum and other resources, I am about to give up on my problem and take it to a shop unless I can get some help here.

Issue is the Buddy will not start and stay running. It fired up for a second or 2 and cuts out. I have removed and cleaned the carb already. Replaced battery and spark plug.

I can confirm there is a spark and gas is getting through the filter into the carb. I find it hard to believe the diaphragm is the issue here but it's the only thing we have been able to come up with as a possibility.

Please help me get my scooter joy back! Any suggestions or trouble shooting methods are appreciated. Thanks!
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

There is a chance it's the stator. Are you getting a GOOD spark, one of the ways the stator can fail will still make the spark plug spark but it won't be strong enough to make the engine run.

Have you tried spraying it with some starting fluid?

Once other thing you could try is drain the carb, then try to start it(it will take a few seconds to refill the float bowl.) If it doesn't start repeat one or two more times. Sometimes you can have bad gas in the bowl and fuel line.

That's all I have, hopefully someone else will chime in with some ideas.
Blackjack150DET

Post by Blackjack150DET »

Thanks for the reply! I have drained the gas and refilled with Seafoam and clean gas. Spark is strong I am confident it is not that. I have used starting fluid to get it to turn over, but still will not stay running. Not much difference between using the starting fluid and not using it. Both ways it will start up but wont stay running. I have adjusted the idle screw as well hoping that was the case
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Your idle jet is likely still plugged. There's an easy way to test this too.

With the carb that's in this bike, you can give the throttle a twist, and it'll squirt a little gas into the engine (accelerator pump), which will let it run for a second or two. If you keep goosing the throttle (quick turns), it should keep trying to run. But left to its own devices, it'll die out. If so, then the idle jet is still plugged and not letting it get fuel at idle. It can look spotless, but if you can't see a pinprick of light down the center line, it's still plugged.

Option TWO
the passage through/behind the fuel/air mixture screw is plugged up. This is harder to deal with, as I think the fusl/air mixture screw was capped off from the factory. If so, you either need to find an ultrasonic cleaner and go nuts with it, or find a way to uncover the mixture screw so you can remove it to clean behind.