Anyone use a dedicated wired GPS?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

thatguy802

Anyone use a dedicated wired GPS?

Post by thatguy802 »

Just wondering as I keep getting lost for a few hours...
Feral_Sparky

Re: Anyone use a dedicated wired GPS?

Post by Feral_Sparky »

thatguy802 wrote:Just wondering as I keep getting lost for a few hours...
I just use my phone in a mount.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Feral_Sparky wrote:
I just use my phone in a mount.
Yep, I'll second the above. IF you have a smartphone with Mapquest or similar, it's the only way to go.

Bill in Seattle
'84 Honda Gyro Red
'86 Honda Gyro S Red
Point37

Post by Point37 »

i have been toying with the idea as well...i see a few options for myself...

1 use my portable garmin plug into the 12v port and suction cup right on top of the speedo glass

2 use my cell phone in my pocket with google maps and earbuds

3 use my cell phone in my pocket with google maps and a bluetooth speaker so i can listen to music and the directions will cut in when i need to turn

4 use my cell phone in a mount with the phone speaker

audibly - the best option would be 2 followed by 3 and then a i'm not sure about 1 and 2

visually - not sure on the best option between 1 and 4...never used a portable car garmin in the sun vs a cell phone screen...i do know that using the gps on my phone will kill my phone battery so it will probably have to be charging

i was looking for free ios apps that can store routes so i can avoid highways and it will remember the route...there is an option in google maps to avoid highways but the 2 apps i have downloaded to check out are "maps.me" and "rever"
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
thatguy802

Post by thatguy802 »

Point37 wrote:i have been toying with the idea as well...i see a few options for myself...

1 use my portable garmin plug into the 12v port and suction cup right on top of the speedo glass

2 use my cell phone in my pocket with google maps and earbuds

3 use my cell phone in my pocket with google maps and a bluetooth speaker so i can listen to music and the directions will cut in when i need to turn

4 use my cell phone in a mount with the phone speaker

audibly - the best option would be 2 followed by 3 and then a i'm not sure about 1 and 2

visually - not sure on the best option between 1 and 4...never used a portable car garmin in the sun vs a cell phone screen...i do know that using the gps on my phone will kill my phone battery so it will probably have to be charging

i was looking for free ios apps that can store routes so i can avoid highways and it will remember the route...there is an option in google maps to avoid highways but the 2 apps i have downloaded to check out are "maps.me" and "rever"
Was using a phone mount for a bit, but it kept hitting the power button mid ride!

Ultimately I've resorted to mounting my Garmin zumo to a ram mount on my windscreen standoff... Tied the power cord into the USB charger. Can upload pics if anyone is interested.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

thatguy802 wrote:
Was using a phone mount for a bit, but it kept hitting the power button mid ride!

Ultimately I've resorted to mounting my Garmin zumo to a ram mount on my windscreen standoff... Tied the power cord into the USB charger. Can upload pics if anyone is interested.
i don't have a windscreen and i'm running bar end mirrors so my mounting locations are limited...if there is something that threads into the old mirror mounting locations that would be my best bet...the problem is that my gamin nuvi 300 is powered by the mounting bracket...the cord plugs into the back of the bracket not the actual gps
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Get lost for hours on a Buddy?

I don't see the problem here.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Depends on what you want out of the GPS. I am on my second Garmin MC GPS unit. Waterproof, glove friendly blah blah...it rocks!

If not hardwired, even if using the 12v plug, many useful features are not available. Hard wiring a unit in is really pretty easy.

I generally uses it on my 650 but have also used it on two CRBs running a 67 Vespa GT

It is especially useful for long distance touring. Bluetooth to my helmet, RR track, curve warnings etc

Using a car GPS can work but it is generally difficult to see the screen. I have never tried mounting a phone and would not without a lanyard.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I do, but it's not on a Buddy. Can I help?
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

JettaKnight wrote:
Get lost for hours on a Buddy?

I don't see the problem here.
Agreed, I ride ‘aimlessly’ for hours some days just because I can.

In fact, since I’ve nothing pressing to do today and the scoot has a full tank of fuel, I’m heading out to ‘get lost’ for the day.....
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Wertles

Post by Wertles »

I have my Garmin hardwired in both my Buddies. I tapped into something switched. If I remember correctly, I tapped into 12V accessory power but I could be wrong. It’s been a few years since I did it. I use a Ram Mount and everything works well. A phone would do just as well but I like the layout of my Garmins.
2012 125 Seafoam Buddy
2014 170i Matte Black Buddy
Point37

Post by Point37 »

i'll be using this approach as far as mounting my garmin...suction cup right to the gauge glass and plug into the 12v port...the solar battery mounted on a front rack isn't a bad idea if you want the ability to be able to easily remove it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0oPYtmOrqk
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

If it is an auto Garmin that will work but they are not designed for water, vibration or glove use. If it is a Garmin MC unit it will need to be hard wired for all features to work.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jd

Post by jd »

I've been using one Garmin GPS unit or another for years, but my I think the best way to go now if you have an iPhone (and you indicate that you do) is to buy a mount setup from Ram Mount for your phone model and then download the Scenic app from Motomappers. Fantastic for planning and tracking routes on two wheels.

If you have a big enough screen, you can get by with the free version, which doesn't have audible step-by-step directions. If your screen is smallish, as it is on my iPhone SE, you may need to pay up for the spoken directions, which for me is worth every cent. I listen to them with Plugfones.
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

BuddyRaton wrote:If it is an auto Garmin that will work but they are not designed for water, vibration or glove use. If it is a Garmin MC unit it will need to be hard wired for all features to work.
Thanks...I have an old (maybe 2005) car garmin...I would only mount it when needed but wouldn’t leave it mounted so I wouldn’t really have to worry about water unless I get caught in it...in which case I would just pull out the ear buds and use my phone...not sure how loud the speakers will be or the vibrations...I have used my garmin with gloves on before in my car in the winter so that’s not an issue as the screen responds to pressure and I’d only be touching it when stopped anyway